Unfair child support laws

After children turn 5 they are in school and those women who collect child support sit at home doing nothing when they could be working part time to help support there children. It use to be the male as the main source of income, not anymore, we live in tough economic times, where it takes two in the household to support children. Why should those women stay at home when they could be working. The law should be added to so that those women don't have several babies and then wait for the child support to come in. They should at least be given some finacial responsibility as well as the father. After there youngest turns 5 they should should be required to work part-time to collect there child support. Nobody should have a free ride.

Mar 10th, 2017
Someone from kennesaw, GA writes:
Child support should be based off household income. My ex has 3 college degrees, but stopped working a year before we divorced. She immediately married the guy she was cheating with and never worked again. 8 years later I have one of the two children from my ex and she has one. I have same childcare burden, but I am paying her $1,000 a month in child support because the court imputes her part at minimum wage. On top of that I have a new wife and a baby. My family has to survive on $2,000 less a month than my exes family. (I give a $1000 and don't get a $1,000). I thought child support was supposed to maintain quality of life. She is living like a queen and my new family is struggling to pay the basic bills.
Mar 10th, 2017
Someone from dallas, GA writes:
Mar 10th, 2017
Someone from Bronx, NY writes:
sometimes i think if the father is paying all these monies...then why don't he just take the kids and have them live with him... at least he would know that his money is spent on clothing food and shelter... the other way who knows what the woman does with the money... she could **** it all away and the kids still walk around in torn clothes...and aren't fed...
Mar 10th, 2017
from Bronx, NY writes:
Mar 8th, 2017
Scott T. from Wilson, NC signed.
Mar 8th, 2017
Michael J. from Harrisburg, PA writes:
Not only do i pay child support but I'm also in a custody fight. In Harrisburg, Pa it don't matter if you have a custody agreement. The woman can violate it with no consequences. In dauphin county court of common plea iv been sexually discriminated, when your X and her husband can sell crack out of there house with my kids there also, she still kept her custody
Mar 8th, 2017
Michael J. from Harrisburg, PA writes:
Mar 8th, 2017
Someone from Green Bay, WI writes:
I am a second wife going through this nightmare with my husband as he continues to fight his ex. His children are 10, 12, and 14 and she refuses to work, even though she used to be an RN. Every year she takes us back for a recalculation- at this point, she gets almost $5000/month and he takes home, after deductions, $18/month. Yes you read that right. $18. My income is used to help support his expenses because of this. Now her attorney is trying to subpoena my financial records so that my income can be used to calculate even more support for her!!! Where is there incentive for a father to work harder to improve his financial state if it will only be used to further aid her refusal to work and make him pay more? Where is there incentive to marry for love if marrying a divorced man will only make you a new target for money? This is 2017 yet our government refuses to see the possibility that a man can be just as much of a victim as a woman can. If women want equal rights everywhere else, than they equally should share in the responsibility of financially contributing to the support of the children. When children are school aged, being a "stay at home mother" is no longer a job, no more than a father who would want to partake in similar responsibilities. Once a person shows that they have potential to make a certain income, it is then assumed that the income will always be the minimum used for future calculations. So, with that being said, if you are a miserable doctor, making $200,000/year and choose to make a career change to something that makes less but you enjoy more, don't think for a moment that a doctor turned photographer will decrease your payments! No! If your income drops from $200,000 to $100,000, you are still on the hook for the higher amount, because you are "capable" of that higher amount. The current laws prohibit hard working parents from being anything more than a money tree for their ex's until the youngest is 18. We are helpless within the confines of the current system, it was made for mothers, not fathers. And, I am saying this as a mother myself. What does that say?
Mar 7th, 2017
Scott F. from Lubbock, TX writes:
Child support is unconstitutional. Equal parenting and equal support of children enforces equality for all stated by the constitution.
Mar 6th, 2017
Someone from San Antonio, TX writes:
Child Support shouldn't be around because they do nothing to help the person taking care of the children. Father owes over 30,000 , they claim they can't find him when I live across the street from his mom. He goes there almost everyday. Child Support people get paid for doing nothing, and I mean nothing. She has gone to court and he never shows up but they claim they can't do him anything. She has to miss work and she is the only person seeing to their children needs. She loses out on money for the Child Support system to do nothing. What System we have and the judies to sit on their you know what and don't help her what so ever. Three boys and he doesn't even care and the system either. I'm going to have to get a paper and pin and write every government person in the whole united states. Lets see what happens. As you know you'll will do nothing. Look at all the messages sent.
Mar 6th, 2017
Someone from Lampasas, TX writes:
I'm doing everything in my power to get myself caught up on my child support arrears, but it feels like the system is purposefully keeping me in debt and offering no solutions on how to get out. I'm a poor man. I make ~$1500/month, of which $805 goes straight to my back child support balance of $8200. I'm only chipping away about $135 of the arrears every month, so at the current rate, I will basically be in debt forever. I will always have the looming fear of being arrested whenever there is a "child support roundup", as well as having my entire income tax refund garnished EVERY YEAR. Keep in mind, this is all coming from someone who is actively trying to get out of debt and getting their child the money they need. But yet, I will always be a "deadbeat" in the eyes of the court. This cannot continue! We are in dire need of an immediate revision of the current child support laws, and I implore congress to take this petition seriously. Millions of good, hard working men are being railroaded by an outdated and flawed system. It is time for a change!
Mar 5th, 2017
Giovanni s. from Orlando, FL signed.
Mar 5th, 2017
Someone from Albany, OR writes:
Why pay a huge amount in child support (past the child support calculator amount) all for the sake because the woman got on all sorts of assistance (hud, tanf,food stamps) the non custodial parent has to pay these back. (usually the man). Why do they have to pay the government additional money for the custodial parent (typically the mother) for her poor financial and life decisions on her part not to get a job (even though a child should be motivation to work and take care of yourself) im not talking about emergency help or just temporary help (although i dont think the noncustodial should have to pay the state back for that either). Im so tired of women claiming they want equel rights (yes i am a woman {no i dont have children}) but as soon as you mention child support and parental rights they run the other way crying unfair. I think they should have to work to begin if able bodied. Im not knocking government assistance but i am saying the father shouldnt be responsible for it because on her end she is poor and decided on equel rights. I am a woman and i am tired of other women cherry picking what they want for equel rights.
Mar 4th, 2017
Someone from Grapevine, TX writes:
The system is biased toward mothers. Why can't the mother and father equally support their children? The courts put most of the financial burden on fathers but not primary custodian rights. Unfair!
Mar 3rd, 2017
Someone from Howard Lake, MN writes:
Child support laws make it impossible for the owing party to live. When wages are garnished at 65% (50% giving the lowball number according to federal laws) and state, federal, and local taxes equaling between 20-35%, that leaves between $0-$30 dollars left for every $100 earned. That is IMPOSSIBLE to live on. I understand the need for both parents to support the child, but the system is rigged toward the parent that has more custody. Usually that is the mother. Meanwhile the other parent is regarded as a deadbeat and is completely railroaded by this system, never being able to afford a place where they can have the child for overnight visits. I am sure that you are aware that it costs the government more money to collect on child support than the actual amount of child support paid. This is why the defect is so huge. We are spending a very significant amount on destroying children's lives. It needs to end NOW.
Mar 3rd, 2017
Andrea D. from Reynoldsburg, OH writes:
I'm a woman, the women who wreck men's lives over child support are usually losers who sit home on their asses. I think the system is broke. How does taking away someone's driver's license get the kids money any faster? Why are the women spending most of the money on themselves? Yes, they are too. Why can the government even have a say in this matter? I think its all bull. They should have to provide receipts to the courts. Really, maybe the government should say they won't get involved, and women wouldn't be sleeping with anyone and everyone.
Mar 2nd, 2017
Someone from Texarkana, TX writes:
Child support laws are way outdated. Laws written when women stayed home taking care of the children, house and cooking for the family. These things no longer happen. Most women are in the work place fighting for equality and in most cases winning. Times have changed so shouldn't these out dated laws change. As a man I have a responsibility toward my child and so does the women. I shouldn't loose all I've worked for so I can provide a cush lifestyle for my ex. What I'm paying doesn't come close to what it actually cost to provide for my child. Let's be fair..
Mar 1st, 2017
Someone from Waterbury, CT signed.
Mar 1st, 2017
Someone from Orlando, FL writes:
I have paid over $300K in child support. I lost my job in 2007, due to the economy. As a result, I had my drivers license revoked for not paying child support. I was unable to pay my monthly child support of $2,400. I was arrested and charged with non payment of child support. I am now a convicted felon because I "only" paid that amount. I had constantly tried to have my support payments reduced, because my ex was earning over $100K annually, and her financial documents to the court showed her being cash flow positive by over $50K. I had to file bankruptcy. Also, I met my wife and we had a son in 2000. He was born with a heart defect, which caused a major strain on our finances. When I went to the county agency to discuss this matter, their words to me were "I'm sorry about your son, but these children here come first." Don't get me wrong - I firmly believe in paying child support. However, this system is extremely flawed, and only takes a myopic view as to what you owe - not what you have paid.
Feb 28th, 2017
Julia S. from Floral Park, NY writes:
Children are home by 2:30. I know of no positions that allow a woman or man to leave work at 1pm or 1:30 if you live in a metropolitan area to be home by that time. Also, school age children are often ill. Believe it or not they do not give a week's notice that they will be ill. If you have more than one child they are rarely ill at the same time, but are ill one right after the other. I am a woman and used to work in Human Resources. I did not make these decisions but many woman and even men are fired on a regular basis because "they cannot be counted on" in the workplace. The United States does not have a 12 month school year and unless you make a substantial amount of money the programs in the New York metropolitan area are very expensive. It costs more money to go to work than it does to stay and raise your own children. Many men are stay at home Dads. Men and women who make the choice to stay at home to care for their children should be applauded. It can be a very lonely existence, especially when you are attacked for the decision you have made with your spouse to do what is best given your family's situation.
Feb 28th, 2017
Nichole T. from Plainfield, CT writes:
To Whom It May Concern: The new Connecticut child support laws are flawed when alimony is involved. The current law states that it did not make sense to add alimony as income for the receiving side nor deduct it from the paying side for percentage of child support. This is due to the fact that spousal support is meant to support a spouse and not a child. Wait just a minute, if it is to support the spouse isn?t that an income source? Even if it is meant to support a spouse, why is the paying spouse paying a percentage of child support with that income included in their side? Let me break this down for you; Payor makes $1861 per week and receiver makes $229 (because they refuse to work at a job paying at least minimum wage at full time). After tax deductions and medical the payor makes $1348 and the payee makes $204wk. The payor and payee?s income is combined to calculate child support. This instance the child support would be $289 a week. Based on those incomes the payor is responsible for 70% and the payee for 30%, which would definitely make sense if that is what they each made! The payor is paying $247 week (70% of $289) plus paying $303 alimony or spousal support. The payee is paying $42 dollars a week toward child support and earning $303 alimony. On the child support affidavit, the income shows that the payor makes $1348 a week, the 70% is based on that, and it is not allowed to make a deduction for self-support. On this same affidavit the payee only shows $204 weekly income and the alimony is allowed to stay on the payor side because the payee is allowed that deduction. WHAT? That means one parent is allowed to have a self-support deduction and the other parent does not. How is that working? How is that an equal and fair child contribution? If spousal support is not to go toward a child, then why is it counted at all? Children need support, I am a mother three and know that all too well. However, each person is also entitled to be able to support themselves and should have the equal opportunity to do so. Someone needs to look into the numbers, look at the way the support is divided up, look at how this makes absolutely no sense at all! The amount of child support I am not contesting, except maybe the fact people spend way too much on their children and the standards are apparently higher than ever. I am contesting the way the percentage is divvied out when alimony is in play. The payor is literally paying a higher percentage on income that they never see, income that goes away immediately before they can pay bills, self-support of any kind. How does this ?make sense? by standards of the law? Why is no one else, in the right place, seeing the devastating results of this new child support regulation? I am absolutely appalled that whomever is making these laws only sees a straight line, only sees a narrow goal, and the entire complicated picture is left out. Sincerely, A Mother of Three, with 100% sole custody, who receives no support due to other flawed laws, and who pays nor receives any alimony. Nichole Taylor
Feb 28th, 2017
Someone from Freeport, NY writes:
They give Kids away without Paternity test. Based On Pictures. Suspend Licenses and incarcerate And what does it do,There more real fathers verses the ones who arnt. Its the mothers who are lying and trying to get come ups ( make money) On behalf of fathers
Feb 27th, 2017
Anthony J. from Cleveland, OH writes:
I am working full time and part time and can barely pay my bills. My checks are not covering the gas to get back and forth to work or my phone bill. Meanwhile a woman who is living in a two income household and making more money than I is credited nearly half of my 2 week paycheck. It is not fare or right I have been paying into this system my whole adult life. What a terrible time in history to be born and not be able to get full pay? At nearly 40 I have maybe seen 2 income tax returns my entire life. I do not feel like a citizen and I feel this system will leave me homeless unless something is done now. I don't care about the homeless or anyone else, I can't afford to pay attention. All I care about is why I am working 14 hour days without travel and cannot afford groceries. Most messed up part I have never been married. The mother never had intentions of marriage with me but she did have intentions on getting government checks. The design of this collection agency is not right.
Feb 27th, 2017
Matthew S. from Fort Lauderdale, FL writes:
Family court's are unfair to father's. Most of us are forced into poverty. How can we support our kids when we have them when the mothers get more than half of the father's income. The court system doesn't follow the federal laws set forth by Congress or the social security administration. In some states the court takes the father's SSN without him giving it voluntarily like the federal laws state very clearly. So what does a father do when he's no money because the state takes most of it.
Feb 26th, 2017
Someone from Anchorage, AK writes:
Child support is being used for spousal support and that's not right. Change the mathematical formula to account for the needs of the child, not the ex.
Feb 26th, 2017
jerome b. from Cincinnati, OH writes:
I have 2 children and pay 1080/month in child support and must work OT to pay that and stay afloat with my own bills. While the childrens mom paid off her bills and now spends like theres no tomorrow on herself I go in the hole each month.She works less I work more and now we both take home the same amount each month. That's what the state wants right to make things fair? how is that fair when I cant sleep at night have health problems from stress and she eats out everynight on me.Childrens private school on the line but I still pay it alone on credit and I have 50/50 shared parenting...!!!Before child support I helped with bills and my ex and I were able to talk..now I don't even want to think of her...infact I despise her and if she need me to give her CPR she would be outta luck!!!!! GOOD JOB GOVERMENT FOR STICKING YOUR HANDS IN MY POCKET AND STEALING FROM ME. SHAME ON YOU!
Feb 24th, 2017
Someone from Clayton, NC writes:
My husband's ex-wife who married during custody litagation decided to quit working for Renee Elmers when she was in office, so that she can be at home and collect more child support from him while the kids are in school. She and her lawyer threatened him that he will pay for her court costs if he fought her in moving from NC to LA because of this new job opportunity at her new husband's job. Her new husband makes a 6 figure income and they just bought a house and built a pool in LA . We had just finished paying for 2 layers and have 2 more lawyers left in this custody battle. She had originally abandoned him and took the children, lied and manipulated the system through her political affiliations at work and outside of work and received physical custody before. So badically upsets the family, obtains custody and half his 1/3 to half his income counting ins costs, extra curricular activities and anything else Lee she can squeeze out of him. Th n she was not satisfied with that because she hard to take the kids away and move to o LA and claim more child support. She had the earning capability of $40,000 a year and now puts down she makes $15,000 a year babysitting inside her house a year. We are so tired of her Liebig, cheating and taking advantage of the system and the people around her no matter who it hurts. Their children are devistated along with mine. So now he gets only 8 weeks total out of a year to see them and he had a o drive 7 hours one way just to meet her to obtain and drop off the 3 kids. Wow... Really?! She Is hurting the boys nutritionally because neither eats fruits or vegetables, eggs, and so much more. In other words they will not eat anything at Thanksgiving nor other holiday meals along with any cook outs or other family dinner functions without asking to go to McDonalds.. So no we do not take them off o MsDonalds. Also the 8 year old wears 2 size clothing smaller due which o lack of nutrition. It is very sad, upsetting and a helpless situation we are in. Tried fighting but no more money left... ???? I am now in between jobs and money is tight but she is fine laying out by all he pool and going out to escape oven along with expensive trips and vacations... God help us all who have American pride and having to deal with these low lives with the feeling that they are entitled to what is not theirs and that the world owes them. Get some pride and get a clue! Narcissistic - Narcissism and there is no cure per our counselor with advise to move far away but we see distance still does not help with their games.... Pray for us all!
Feb 24th, 2017
Michael M. from Williamsport, PA writes:
We should not pay either side if the custody is 50/50.
Feb 24th, 2017
Someone from Lexington, KY signed.
Feb 24th, 2017
Someone from Dickinson, TX writes:
Money gained from child support should automatically be put into a trust for that child to be able to manage when he or she comes of age without interference from the custodial parent. Problem solved.
Feb 24th, 2017
Someone from Eros, LA writes:
I also thank woman are man that recieve child support payment should be able to use child support as there income sent its suppose to be for the child it should be the child's money and not for the parent to use as a income for them sent they did not work for it and did not pay tax on it andwas not payed for doing a job. Should be aginest the law for child support to be used as income .
Feb 24th, 2017
Someone from Eros, LA writes:
Child Support System Declared Unconstitutional Minnesota Supreme Court upholds ruling In 1975, Congress passed a law which included a last minute amendment to create the Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). When signing the bill, then President Ford commented that it took the federal government too far into domestic relations and promised to propose legislation to correct the problem. Over the decade that followed, it became clear that OCSE intended to grow in size and power to control all aspects of child support law, seizing that power from the state courts. The size of the OCSE grew, this decade acquiring a staff in excess of 50,000 and costing taxpayers some $3 billion annually. Child support laws were modified, so that simple mathematical formulae are used to make award decisions. This new simplicity is required due to the low level of education of workers who are assigned as "judges" in child support cases. Extreme consequences defined by new federal laws, often carried out automatically and without trial, give the child support enforcement agency power over tens of millions of individuals that surpasses anything previously seen in the United States. After almost 25 years since its start, judges in Minnesota finally felt that they had seen enough. In June of last year, the Court of Appeals decided that the administrative branch of government had exceeded its constitutional powers. "The administrative child support process governed by Minn. Stat. 518.5511 (1996) is unconstitutional because it violates the separation of powers required by Minn. Const. art. III, 1." (STATE OF MINNESOTA IN COURT OF APPEALS C7-97-926 C8-97-1132 C7-97-1512 C8-98-33, Filed June 12, 1998; http://www.courts.state.mn.us/library/archive/ctappub/9806/c797926.htm) The Minnesota Supreme Court upheld the decision in January of this year. "The administrative child support process created by Minn. Stat. 518.5511 (1996) violates the separation of powers doctrine by infringing on the district court's original jurisdiction, by creating a tribunal which is not inferior to the district court, and by permitting child support officers to practice law. Therefore, the statute is unconstitutional." (STATE OF MINNESOTA IN SUPREME COURT C7-97-926 C8-97-1132 C9-98-33 C7-97-1512, Filed: January 28, 1999, Office of Appellate Courts; http://www.courts.state.mn.us/library/archive/supct/9901/c797926.htm) --Reported by Roger F. Gay Thank something needs to be done about this in all the states . I be leave in this day and time woman want to be equal and be treated as equal so with that being said thank taking care of the child child support should be 50/50 it's not right for the man to break his back and have to pay out high child support for the woman to stay home and live a free life and the man to pay for it all. The states to get rich off of the child support with making 5% off of every dime payed in from every one paying child support . It's turned in to a Meg a million business not just about the well being of the child any more .
Feb 23rd, 2017
Someone from Alcalde, NM writes:
if this goes on men will most like see marriage as a waste of time and a risk taker and have to take care of two or people that want something and they can't do nothing about it even if they're poor or just can't handle the stress of the problem if it can be simply solved by having the women to share the payload or let the child in custody of the dad in the first place. if they wanted to have a marriage and then divorce because there's always the government to feel bad for the lady and make her look like the subject when it really her that started the problem and make the man be responsile for a child that the women want to keep away from the dad why does he have to take care and pay lots of money if he cant see him as often as he likes if the child is half his??????? if this is land of the free and equaltiy why isn't if unfair for men to have the massive bill so that the women have to stay home with her legs and arms all restfull and the men working just to maintain a life full of bill and a lazy mom to be at home using that money to pay phone, water, electricity, car morgage, food, etc. why is child support called child support if it can be used as a payment for other stuff other then for the child and be a paycheck for living off others peoples*****and be a thorn and cause more harm then good. if the us want a future then they better start thinking about the smaller details that hold up the rest of the bigger details first or humanity for the us will come to an end and population decrease because u need sperm a key ingredent for making a baby.
Feb 23rd, 2017
Someone from Staunton, VA signed.
Feb 23rd, 2017
Someone from Louisville, KY writes:
I feel that family court has way too much power. My fiance and I are on opposing sides of the system and are both victims. I cannot obtain, he gets reamed. We are both being punished for wanting to take care of our children while our exes are still playing petty games to keep us from moving forward. All of this because they feel that we should have stayed with them and their abuses and their sob-stories were bought by the judges. Instead of being objective, these judges use their "feelings", acting as if psychological warfare does not exist. There is no fairness ib a system that has a "no-nonsense" approach because there are too many ambiguities in individuals' lives. What matters to the support system is money and the foundation of their decision is money, NOT the well being of the children. The psychological warfare is a monetary gain for them, and only the good parents feel the repercussions of a system set up in this manner. Child support should only exist if one parent won't do their part or is unfit. Furthermore, parents need to learn to grow up, put differences aside and raise their children to avoid traumatizing kids who grow up to be traumatized adults.
Feb 22nd, 2017
Someone from San Diego, CA writes:
Child Support is not for the kids anymore. I am a step mother, and bio mom never stay in a job for more than 1 month because she does not "like them" or "they are too workaholics" (whatever that means). She does not needs to work, because she has child support... We claim that women and men are equal, then expenses should be 50% and 50%.
Feb 22nd, 2017
Someone from Lancaster, PA writes:
The child support in this country is ridiculous. The ones who get punished more are the good men. My husband paid child support for his daughter until she was 8. And then she came to live with us for five years. Not once did we ask or put her mother on child support. At 13 his daughter wanted to go live with her mom. He let her go an two months later she put for child support. On top of everything they never looked at your bills or mortgage. They told my husband you just make way too much to get discounts like other people would. Basically my child doesn't matter. The system is wrong and it needs to be fixed to better fit the child, it should just be called women support. What person needs 790 a month for one kid especially a 13 year old. To me child support means support the women because she obviously can't support the kid and herself.
Feb 22nd, 2017
Bruce O. from Clinton, MO writes:
I have become behind in child support and now they throw a 3000 cash only bond on me while one child lives with me but i still owe his mom that money plus charged with class a misdermeaner plus support was raised as a stipulation now i cant afford to support the one living with me the prosecuting attorney is a free lawyer for her
Feb 21st, 2017
Timothy B. from Omaha, NE writes:
I firmly believe that if a non-custodial parent is up to date on his or her child support, they should at least be able to claim something on their Federal Income Tax. Child support greatly affects my income all year long. I have no problem paying for my daughter, but at the end of the year her mother gets an added "bonus" by being able to claim her as a dependent, when she has not financially contributed even half of what I have. Without my child support, my daughter and her mother would barely be able to live. They RELY on my child SUPPORT. That is the definition of a DEPENDENT.
Feb 21st, 2017
Megan h. from Lebanon, PA writes:
They need to change the amount that is given. My husband and I both work and have children of our own. His is required to pay more than half his income and the mother won't let him see his daughter. We can't afford custody because of child support. We wouldn't mind paying if we could at least see the child. We can't feed our children or buy clothing for any of us and are forced to be on welfare because of it. How much sense does that make? Oh and apparently the law says that each parent is supposes to pay half there income which the mother definitely does not but Lebanon county forces him to pay more than half they don't even care what the law says.