Unfair child support laws

After children turn 5 they are in school and those women who collect child support sit at home doing nothing when they could be working part time to help support there children. It use to be the male as the main source of income, not anymore, we live in tough economic times, where it takes two in the household to support children. Why should those women stay at home when they could be working. The law should be added to so that those women don't have several babies and then wait for the child support to come in. They should at least be given some finacial responsibility as well as the father. After there youngest turns 5 they should should be required to work part-time to collect there child support. Nobody should have a free ride.

Jul 10th, 2017
Guillermo G. from La Puente, CA signed.
Jul 10th, 2017
Antonio M. from Sacramento, CA writes:
the child support law needs to change. period.
Jul 7th, 2017
Jeremiah K. from Hamilton, MT writes:
Child support is unfair for men. I have my kids for at least 50% of the time overnight ect. But I am still paying support. My brother has a son, the mother is out of the picture she moved out of state. He doesn't receive any child support, are state has not required his ex to pay anything. Not fair at all
Jul 6th, 2017
Someone from Victorville, CA writes:
It is unfair for women too. Men are not the only ones hit with this non scense. Why dont child support equally go after BOTH parents?
Jul 3rd, 2017
Matthew P. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
After paying a third of my money in taxes. A third to child support and having to pay sales tax and all the other taxes. Exactly what portion of my pay check am I supposed to live on? It doesn't inctivize hard work and progress. Kids are viewed as pay checks. Taking care of your child is a job rather than the blessing. There shouldn't be money required from either side. Everyone in America has opportunities.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Someone from East Petersburg, PA signed.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Ty're S. from Greenville, NC writes:
I Also fully agree. My child is a year and 7 months . I've been taking responsibility as I should even before his birth, bought cars seat play pin ect(we wet half in this about $500 plus ). After the break up sometime she felt like i should pay her and her words were " I feel like you should pay me" & "because you're making X amount every week". Two months of fussing about it we agreed to 175 a check,(her amount no lesser) Once I couldn't afford because of priorities hit hard but could give him his needs ,she threatened by not allowing me to see him, and this was around thanksgiving smh,. After I got tired and told her no more 175 she out me up for child support later on down the road,although I still took & care of his needs. The crazy part is she won't let me keep him & I've never spent the night with my son ,only in the hospital (he has sickle cell anemia) crazy. Im in child support 500 month& still won't allow me to spend time with my child as I should. My son is missing out on his family time and relations with my side of the family, plenty have yet to meet him.bceacuse of the situation. I have 2 nieces and a nephew who he should be growing up with but can't as he shoud.
Jun 19th, 2017
Someone from Mesa, AZ writes:
I am a woman and a mother and seeing after being raised in a mother only household, I strongly agree child support laws need to be more fair for the father. The ways women go after men for child support is ridiculous and abuse of the system.
Jun 15th, 2017
Someone from Nashville, TN writes:
So true
Jun 13th, 2017
Justin D. from Cedar Rapids, IA writes:
There are so many issues with family court and child support laws it is hard to list all of them, but I will try. One thing is for certain, it is not fair and needs to be changed. With that being said every situation is different and I can only shed light on what I am going through with my children. A little bit of background........I have two children with two different mothers. I have primary physical custody of my 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage and have been in her life every day since the day she was born and co-parent with my ex-wife very well. I now have an 8 month old son with a mother that to say the very least is a difficult person. We separated because our relationship was becoming unhealthy (she claims that she never wanted to have a family with me to begin with and she refused couples therapy) and for the best interests of daughter I had to ask her to leave. She took my son and denied me access to him for over a month and half. I had no choice but to file for child custody/visitation. This is where it starts to get messy. After I filed my case she filed a false domestic abuse case a month after she left the home. That domestic abuse court proceeding came and went with no finding of domestic abuse. The temporary hearing in my custody case came next. This is where the child support gets established. Realistically it is not so much the child support that bothers me (I would have to pay for child care and groceries anyway), but the child custody arrangement and how the child support is calculated is bothersome. The mother was awarded Primary Physical Care and I was allowed even more time with my son, but the court failed to recognize my 8 year old daughter of and her best interests as well. I am an established father and the court takes from my income risking the roof over one child's head to help support the mother of my other child. The mother is not established at all in that she is homeless with no transportation and never holding a stable job. I believe the "Tender Years Doctrine" was used here and that is not right (according to the Supreme Court a father has just as much equality as a mother when it comes to raising and caring for a child). The mother is supposed to be going back to work and that would mean that our son will be in child care most of the time anyway. The lack of fairness and common sense in my particular case is abundant and I would love to list everything, but I should continue with what must change to help parents and children in America. Child support should be based upon the actual basic needs cost of raising a child and not just upon income guidelines. The cost of raising a child should not change based upon how much money either parent is making. Also, overtime pay, bonuses, even a 2nd job part-time employment should not be considered either. Basically, it does not make any sense for the cost of raising a child to increase with the success of either parent. Previous dependents (children) should also have more of a deciding factor in calculating child support and deciding custody and/or visitation. My case has left me with the feeling that my daughter's best interests were not equally considered as with my son's. This is disheartening as a loving father. The wellbeing of the current household and the children that live there is what should be most important and creating such financial hardship on that household that affects another child should not be allowed. I grow so tired of hearing "She is not my child and not my responsibility. I am not her mother so I don't care." That is such a cold and callous statement that no parent should ever say! I have learned in 8 years of being a father that is DOES take a village to raise a child and no single parent is truly alone. With that being said, household incomes instead of just individual incomes should also be taken into consideration as a factor in some cases as well. How many scenarios are there where child support is collected in a household that does not need the level of child support that is being collected? I am not saying that all single parents should live alone, but if they are getting help with the household expenses then that should be considered. I do tend to lean towards the concept that a 50/50 ratio should come from each household, but again other factors can and should be considered that are fair to everyone involved. That goes for time spent with the child as well. Of course, I understand that not every situation is the same and that some people are able to establish great co-parenting relationships, but for some of us that is just not the case. Changes need to be made so that co-parenting and equal responsibility can thrive and those parents unwilling to do so are held accountable. All why considering common sense and fairness. I look forward to change that is not only for the best interests of the children, but also fair to both parental households. Thanks
Jun 11th, 2017
Gabriela C. from Cypress, TX writes:
Because those same laws are destroying my family www.enoughabuse.net
Jun 3rd, 2017
Laseun D. from Alton, IL signed.
May 31st, 2017
Walter O. from Ennis, TX writes:
It should be a felony for women to have the father of their children arrested on false allegations because they are vindictive and use their children as tools for getting welfare and it has got to stop. My ex suffers from "Malicious Mother Syndrome", or actually my children & I suffer from that psychotic poor excuse of a mother. She did the same thing to her 1st husband.
May 30th, 2017
William D. from Hatboro, PA writes:
I pay my monthly payment on time everytime and it is more than I take home a week by 15%. I wasn't married or living with the mother. It turns out she was, (surprise). She still lives with her husband and neither have a job. Their house is in forclosure again. The best is the courts make me pay $7000 a year on top of my support for private school when my daughter can go to the local public school. (She has no mental issues). I pay her heath care and cannot claim her on my taxes. I get her every other weekend and Tuesdays of course after soccer or dance or some other activity. I have 2 other daughters and a step daughter and son. I have no criminal record not even a driving ticket. Constantly in court being threatened with jail. The system is broken. It is mind numbing
May 26th, 2017
Lindey W. from North Little Rock, AR writes:
I agree with this completely except I don't care the age of the child if one parent has to pay support to the other parent then the parent receiving the support should have to work as well. I have two kids I have always had to work no matter the age of my children. Both parents should be legally obligated to support the child. My boyfriend had recently lost his job and had to rush to find the first thing that came along to keep from going to jail. If he misses 4 payments they can put him jail since his child's mom had him put in contempt of court. He found a new job but hasn't gotten paid yet and he has missed two payments she harrasses us constantly bc she decided to quit her job. I'm tired of these greedy custodial parents who use their kids as weapons to extort money out of the other parent. We aren't allowed to fall on hard times bc if we do then he could go to jail. Do u think she gives him his court orders visitation? No she doesn't he hasn't gotten a single holiday and no overnight visits. The laws have to change to be fair to both parents. He was behind along time ago that's how he got put in contempt. Since March we have sent $3000 to her she has nothing left bc she quit her job and she should also have to account for where that money actually went since she doesn't even have to pay rent only utilities. The law is so one sided and if we don't speak up things will never change.
May 26th, 2017
Rosa G. from Paso Robles, CA signed.
May 23rd, 2017
Arsenio B. from Saint Louis, MO writes:
I totally agree with this, I've been working hard and providing for my children way before the child support but when the relationship not working out, certain females would go to thinking (he ain't going to give money to that other chick, or i'm mad we ain't together so i'm going to hit him where it hurts his pockets) then us as men can't fight back cause it's so easy for the women to apply and child support makes it easy for the women, while they just sit at home and ride the system it's not fair at all. I never ran from my responsibility, why should it be so easy for them
May 16th, 2017
Someone from Barney, GA writes:
My son is with me 3 months out of the year. My daughter is with me every other weekend and about a months worth of extra visits. My 2 step daughters are with me every other week. I pay out more for children than my ex and I receive not one dime. It's not right at all. Furthermore it costs no where near what I send to raise a child
May 13th, 2017
Angel P. from Tucson, AZ writes:
We are all so screwed over, so freaking hard by the laws it is not even funny. To make it worse every time I interact with the DES they have an attitude with me like I am some kind of desdbeat dad. I have paid between $500 - $700/mo for 15 years, have never been late AND I have my son half the time, pay for medical/dental/vision insurance, and save for his 529 college savings. Meanwhile the real deadbeat is his mother who has a boyfriend living with her in her section 8 home, on foodstamps with no job. Simply put - this is not right.
May 13th, 2017
Marcus from Gary, IN writes:
I was recently at my daughter's school to get a copy of the statement of the tuition i paid to my surprise the mother had ask the school not release any information about my daughter to me. I wonder why then I found out first of all she wanted to get the credit for the tuition that I had paid that the courts had considered a gift. Rather than filing it on the taxes as a gift she wanted to claim it as an expense IRS are you listening. Matter of fact she hasn't worked in twelve years so she have other people claiming my kids when actuality I'm paying the bills. The courts should enforce and mandate that the father's are aware that they have the right to claim their children on their tax returns. But instead our policy makers actually make it more difficult for the non custodial parent to claim the children. The arrears continue to accumulate not taking into consideration that if the non custodial parent could claim the child on the return it will actually help reduce the amount of arrears owed. These laws are dividing families. I'm willing to wager if a study was conducted to assess the impact of fatherless homes they will surely discover it has a direct impact on young men particular who commit crimes because they didn't have a father in their lives. Non custodial parents need to stand up in every State we should MARCH for our fair Rights take out ads in the media newspapers television etc. bring awareness through social media petition to Congress every elected officials and get their attention to this very troublesome issue. There need to be a joint and relentless effort to change the laws that are so unfair. Let's stand together for what is Right and fair!!!!
May 11th, 2017
Matthew D. from Altoona, PA writes:
I AGREE WITH THIS. THE CHILD SUPPORT IN THIS STATE IS SO UNFAIR FOR THE MEN IN THE SITUATION I FIND IT TOTALLY BIAS.. I DONT SEE WHY I,ME BEING A FATHER WHO PAYS CHILD SUPPORT TO MY CHILDS MOTHER WHO ONLY WORKS PART TIME.WHY SHOULD I BE PAYING ALL THIS SUPPORT WHEN HER MOTHER IS FULLY CAPABLE OF WORKING 40 HOURS A WEEK...
May 11th, 2017
Matthew D. from Altoona, PA writes:
May 10th, 2017
Steven J. from Brooklyn, NY writes:
This is crazy! I pay for all 3 of my kids.they take additional money for child care as in after school and baby sitting but these kids get left at home alone,while these women collect money.I pay child support and they are under my insurance.the least the government can do is let us fathers claim for these kids on our taxes.it should be mandatory.these women sit and collect money on top of their on paycheck.how is this a good thing.child support is the bitter woman's revenge ploy.it's our responsibility as parents to raise the children.just cause u can't afford to raise the children doesn't mean you need my money like it's yours.put the money on a card and every 3 months show what this money is being spent on.cause men are out here going homeless while these mother's are living lavish ..it's injustice.we should be able to file for every kid every year for the rest of child support and I gurantee the rate of chided support will drop.and you will see that it was just another way for lazy people to make money.
May 9th, 2017
Mike M. from Fresno, CA writes:
I know as father i should provide for my child. I get paid 2 times a month i gross 1300 every 15 days my net is 310 pge gas food cost money i see ob facebook there going here and there out to eat and im eating soup and water and to top it off if i dont make a payment guess what i go to jail i loose my license they stop my tags everything i cant even pay the d├ęductible to get my teeth fixed i have never broke the law ever but i have been to jail 5 times for child support how is it fair and never have i seen a income tax
May 8th, 2017
Alberto A. from San Antonio, TX writes:
I am a very honest and hard working man. I too recently divorced an my ex took everything without one ounce of fight from me now one thing that did bother me is my 3 kids I can't even see them but for 2hours on a Sunday. My biggest problem here is how do I live ,how do they expect me to survive when they take out more than half my check, an she also gets all income tax an much more.Iknow i have responsibilitys as a father but i am getting taking advantage of beyond comprehension an much more..I believe the hard working man should have equal rights. It is unfair . I can go on an on.im sure many men can relate. Is there any organisations out there that help the honest hard working man pay a reasonable amount....please help.....
May 8th, 2017
Alberto A. from San Antonio, TX writes:
May 6th, 2017
Andrew E. from Bellevue, OH writes:
Women these days get 1200$ a month from me and I make 28000.... they get 5-7000$ income tax return while I even have to pay the government how fair is that? Withhold women's Income tax until it's positive the man has to pay Again! These women should have to count this as income and men should be able to claim child support they are handing other women especially women that give him a hard time seeing his children
May 6th, 2017
Andrew E. from Bellevue, OH writes:
May 6th, 2017
Andrew E. from Bellevue, OH writes:
May 6th, 2017
Andrew E. from Bellevue, OH writes:
May 6th, 2017
Andrew E. from Bellevue, OH writes:
May 4th, 2017
Someone from Hemet, CA writes:
This is a injustice.
May 4th, 2017
Someone from Lewisville, TX writes:
I feel that if a man has to pay child support to the mother that he should get the tax refund child credit because he is paying for the child throughout the year and taking care of his financial responsibility. I am a mother of 1 and don't feel that the laws are fair to men in general.
May 3rd, 2017
Someone from Beaumont, TX writes:
Its unfair when they base the child support on gross pay. Most American women think children are an ATM machine.
May 1st, 2017
RETIECE H. from Cedar Hill, TX writes:
YES I THINK SO , THEY SAY I OWE 280,000 DOLLARS IN INTEREST AND MY CHILDREN ARE GROWN AND I PAY 2, 000 DOLLARS A MONTH , WHICH IS 50% OF MY MONTHLY PAY . AND THE STATE OF TEXAS SAYS I'M PAYING BACK WHAT THE WOMAN RECEIVE FROM THEM . WHO PAYS A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS WORKING ON A 9 TO 5 JOB . I PAID IN 167,00 IN MY LIFE TIME AND THEY SAY I OWE 280,000 . WHERE CAN I GET SOME HELP WITH THIS . I'M WORTH MORE DEAD THAN ALIVE , IN THIS MESS . ON MY LAST WITS WITH THIS THANK YOU
Apr 30th, 2017
Charles G. from Howland, ME writes:
Women get the option of abortion, adoption, or to hit a poor broke man for child support. The men have no way out and in some cases are used for a check weekly. Where is the equality? Where is the man's way out.
Apr 30th, 2017
Someone from Harrisburg, PA writes:
Child support is demonstrably unfair. In fact the entire family court system is atrocious and should be dismantled and replaced. I strongly urge congress to rid us of this abomination.
Apr 27th, 2017
Shannon A. from San Antonio, TX writes:
Agreed! Child support should pay for child's needs. Mom and Dad should split 50/50 I am a woman and agree that is just ridiculous taking % of income vs child's needs. Congress needs to help!
Apr 25th, 2017
Someone from Truckee, CA writes:
The laws are not fair. My son's father lied, manipulated the courts, then moved out of state and I am required to continue living where we are living. He is oppressing me. I can not work to my potential in the location of the country and neither can he, this is why he works out of the area but the court is perfectly ok with this arrangement. It's very unfair. Giving the father parental rights should not act to oppress the Mother from earning potential; meanwhile being treated like******by ex because I can't earn enough to avoid accepting child support. It's a mess. It is not best for the child. He only sees our son 1-2% of the entire year yet still has control on our household. Not fair.
Apr 25th, 2017