Unfair child support laws

After children turn 5 they are in school and those women who collect child support sit at home doing nothing when they could be working part time to help support there children. It use to be the male as the main source of income, not anymore, we live in tough economic times, where it takes two in the household to support children. Why should those women stay at home when they could be working. The law should be added to so that those women don't have several babies and then wait for the child support to come in. They should at least be given some finacial responsibility as well as the father. After there youngest turns 5 they should should be required to work part-time to collect there child support. Nobody should have a free ride.

Feb 2nd, 2017
Someone from Dardanelle, AR writes:
A WOMAN WHO WAS NEVER MARRIED TO HER CHILDS FATHER SHOULD NOT BE ENTITILED TO HIS ASSETS ONLY HIS WIFE SHOULD BE ENTITLED. ALSO, THE MOTHER SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONETARY SUPPORT OF HER CHILD AS WELL. IF SHE REMARRIES AND CHOOSES NOT TO WORK SHE SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOTED THE LEAST OF CHILD SUPPORT ALLOWED BY LAW! IM TIRED OF FATHERS RIGHTS BEING DENIED! THIS IS A GREAT INJUSTICE! THEY SHOULD HAVE MORE TIME WITH THEIR CHILDREN AND IF A WOMAN DENIES THEM TIME THEY SHOULDNT GET A DIME IN SUPPORT! THEY SHOULD ALSO ENFORCE WOMENS JAIL TIME FOR WITH HOLDING CHILDREN FROM FATHERS I REALIZE THERE ARE OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES BUT THE MAJORITY ARE LOVING FATHERS! THEY OVER PAY IN CHILD SUPPORT! WOMEN WANT EQUAL RIGHTS... GET A JOB!
Feb 2nd, 2017
Derek D. from Chesapeake, VA signed.
Feb 2nd, 2017
Someone from Chesapeake, VA signed.
Feb 1st, 2017
Someone from Albuquerque, NM writes:
My frustration is that my family court judge does not have the ...political courage to order my voluntarily unemployed ex-wife to allow me to claim my kids as dependents for tax purposes. This is a waste of tax deductions that my ex-wife cannot use, increases my taxes, and reduces the amount of money that I have to support myself and the children. My ex-wife's justification for refusing to let me claim the kids is "you don't pay ENOUGH child support to support me and the kids". Child support is for the care and maintenance of children, NOT Family Maintenance (a mixture of alimony and child support) intended to support a former spouse and the dependent children. Her Honor's response (sarcasm intended) whenever I bring this issue up in court is to ask my ex-wife if she will "consider allowing" me to claim the kids for taxes. And Her Honor wonders why I've lost faith in the 'family court' system...
Feb 1st, 2017
Someone from Albuquerque, NM writes:
Feb 1st, 2017
Someone from West Helena, AR writes:
I agree totally, I pay 580 every 2 weeks, also their insurance, I keep them once maybe twice a week, every other weekend. I pay half their doctor bills, some of their clothes, toys, activities, etc. My ex has recently gotten married and does nothing, she goes to school. In the meantime I am working everyday trying to support my new family, in which I have stepson and I don't think it's fair for a man to pay everything and meanwhile while the mother doesn't have to pay at least half.
Jan 31st, 2017
Ana P. from La puente, CA writes:
Everyone pls call the White House everyone needs to do their part so we can all be heard!!! Thank you juls l from El Paso tx that's all I was waiting for I didn't know who or where to call!!! Everyone lets make a difference so we can be heard!!!
Jan 31st, 2017
Juls L. from El Paso, TX writes:
TEXAS RESIDENTS CALL YOUR CONGRESS MAN. 202-225-9896 Lets put some pressure, we need a movement, we are not being heard by politicians or the president. We want a new reform. Call your state congressman, child support matters need to be equal on all 50 states to prevent unfair practices... Call the White House 202.456.1111 Lets do something about this nonsense.
Jan 31st, 2017
Juls L. from El Paso, TX writes:
Jan 31st, 2017
Juls L. from El Paso, TX writes:
Jan 31st, 2017
Juls L. from El Paso, TX writes:
Jan 31st, 2017
Juls L. from El Paso, TX signed.
Jan 30th, 2017
Someone from Houston, TX writes:
I work my fingers to the bone making twice less than my kids mother. She filed maximum child support allowed with the state against me when my child was 3 years old. She was the one who left the household and took our kid. I wasn't notified or anything about court. I was giving her money and buying my child the things she needed. Then one day I got my paycheck at work and it was 300$ short for two weeks. Child Support garnishment. Then they also said I'm required to have medical on her as well. Another 150$ a 2 week paycheck 450$ every two weeks. I lost my house in 2005 due to this because I couldn't afford to pay for it. That was back then. Now I pay arears and medical has gone up to 225 every two weeks. Long story short, I basically live in poverty even though I work everyday from dark to dark. Mean while the mother has had two other kids, gotten married and they both make twice what I make each. They have a huge house, a maid who cleans there house 3 times a week and she laughs about it saying it's funny that I'm broke. My daughter even tells me that the mother uses my paid child support to feed the other children as well as the husband. Now she telling my kid, if she wants clothes or anything else, she needs to find a job. My kids 15yo. Where are the rights for the fathers? Why do we foot 90% of the financial burden when it takes two to have a child. I See my child once every 2 year's and feel like I'm being force to pay for something or someone that I never even get to see leaving me to struggle. It causes problems in my relationship as well. Most times after paying the basic necessities, I'm left with no gas or food money leaving my girlfriend to foot the bill. She hasn't even met my kid yet and we've been together 2 years. That's how long it's been since I've seen my kid. Whenever I file my taxes, my refund is garnished completely. Who on earth started that. Seems like No one cares about the fathers well being with these sets of laws. I had no transportation to work because my enginge locked up on my car. Couldn't afford to fix it with my wages being garnished. Was gonna use my refund to get a cash car but every dollar was garnished. Its really sad how fathers are raked over the coals as if we committed a sin helping to create a child while the mother gets treated like a saint living off of the funds. I've about givin up on it all. Children should be a joy to have. You feed them daily and give them the things they need. Not garnish 600 a month and 450 a month for insurance. My parents raised me great and they didn't have to spend anywhere near that to take care of me. Even they think those amounts are ridiculously unaffordable. I loan for the day when both parents are equally responsible for financially supporting the child. Until then, I continue to live in poverty not stimulating the economy by buying things or purchasing a home. I'm disgusted with the system at this point.
Jan 30th, 2017
Someone from Nashville, TN writes:
I mostly agree with this law. The thing is....what is the proposal for the fathers making babies and chosing not to work. They should have some stipulation where they are forced to work and help the females who are struggling to take care of their children alone also. Child support has not only been "unfair" for some fathers...but also for some mothers who break their backs to take care of their children without the help of some lazy fathers....
Jan 30th, 2017
Someone from Birdsboro, PA writes:
1. Should not have a "calculator" based on income-- I make what I make because I have bills to pay... So taking more from me because I make more doesn't allow me to pay what I need to pay- when the state's arguments is so that he has "equal" living at both houses. Also-not fair and equal if you take my money and give it to him where then you do not consider their Spouse's income -- so now they have two incomes together and my support from me. 2. Commission jobs- should not consider commission as income as it is not "promised"
Jan 30th, 2017
Marie C. from Anchorage, AK writes:
Can I sue the other parent whom I'm paying child support to that isn't even taking care of the child. He has his parents taking care of the child and not living under the same roof as the child but I'm paying child support "court order" to the other parent. Just wondering if I can sue him for all the child support ive paid him?
Jan 30th, 2017
Nicole M. from Hendersonville, TN writes:
I work full-time barely making ends meet, and my ex does not provide any support for my daughter. There should not be women at home relaxing while collecting money. It's lazy.
Jan 29th, 2017
Someone from Miami, FL writes:
I'm a women mother of two, and I despise the laws of child support. The laws are redicoulous, it makes me wonder what kind of morons are running the place for children services. I work, and I ask for only food stamps to help out with what i can cover since everything is so darn expensive, groceries is always more than a $100 a week in my case a family of 3. Housing is sky rocketing I rent so, every year the landlord raises a whopping $150.00 for an old apartment that needs a lot of fixing and it's legal in our home land the USA. But enough of all the million problems we have as a country, let me get back to child support. So, my ex an I came to an agreement that he would have of course provide for his kids. He gives me a reasonable amount for both girls and when he gets a raise he will let me know and we mutually get to a base amount for our girls and that we both keep in mind his new family. He has a new wife and they recently added a baby boy. I uderstand he has bills, I uderstand he has to feed and care for his new family as well I don't want to see anyone living in the streets because child support laws are not fair and that's why I refuse to go to child support agency I rather come to a fair agreement with the father of my kids. I have a friend that gets $1400 every two weeks and she works just like me 40 hours a week with school aged kids I asked her how the baby daddy was doing and she laughed and said that sucker doesn't see his money, he can't even pay his rent I heard he lost his apartment and car and had to move back to his mom'd house so, much for all the over time he does because it all goes to me so, I can go out and buy stuff and not worry I know my kids don't consume all of it but I will not allow him to be happy with the new women, I rather enjoy it my self she laughed. By the way DCF sanctioned me because I refused to cooperate with child support services. I strongly believe that child support laws need to be reviewed, modified and changed completely to make it fair for both parties. Meaning both parents need to work and that both mom and dad's income and finances need to be taken into consideration with core evidence from both not just a letter stating that she or he needs all the money lol. I have heard it many times that child support only helps the mom that is asking for child support but they give an attitude and act like fools when the patent that is being punished has no rights a treatment that is unfair coming from the country that says and "justice for all" show the people that we are all equal by fixing the laws of child support. I'm sick of seeing men and women that are punished by child support enforcement out in the streets asking for money because they didn't have enough to cover for their bills and food. I'm tired of seeing men and women stressing life and wanting to die because they work hard for their money and don't even get to see it to meet their own needs. Make prepaid card that will make sure the money is really being used for the kids and make sure is a fair amount and not for the luxury of the parent that took the other parent to court. Fix the problem don't make it worst. From a women speaker with as much rights as any women or men. (I'm a bit feminist but I like justice).
Jan 29th, 2017
Alwin H. from San Diego, CA writes:
My babys mom moved her fam from San Diego to 29 palms,SanBernadino county.who in turn opened a case for her but even knowing my whereabouts they waited 3 years to bring a case against me in order to create arearages and collect intrest.
Jan 29th, 2017
Someone from TAMPA, FL writes:
I agree she should only get child support if she is working or she should have to show recipets
Jan 28th, 2017
kIMBERLY k. from Ypsilanti, MI signed.
Jan 27th, 2017
Someone from Chesapeake, VA writes:
50/50 - It took two equal parties to make the child and should be the same to support said child as well. Both the mother and the father should be held accountable for providing for their children equally. The primary parent should have to provide documentation showing where the child support was applied. My husband and ex-wife split when she cheated on him. She was a stay at home parent at that time and they lived in constant debt with bad financial choices and overspending while he worked two+ jobs. Our life suffers now because he is paying that debt off still to this day as she still stays at home with 2 school-age children and 1 preschool-aged child. She has since gotten a DUI with crazy court costs and still overspends continously on herself frequently getting her power/water turned off. Each time he has gotten a pay raise with his employment, child support increases to a greater, more-ungodly amount. It seems like we never get ahead because she will not contribute to either paying off the debt or the financial burdens of raising children. Once the amount is determined through the courts (which should be pretty standard depending the area the child lives and accomdations absolutely required), the amount should be split in half and the primary parent should have to provide the SAME amount as the non-custodial parent and in turn providing proof that the child's support was rightfully spent on the child's portion of the electric/rent, clothes/food, extracurricular activities, etc. the primary parent should not be able to spend that money on herself and should be providing her portion of the bills thus having to work like the non-custodial parent who works FULL time+ taking away time he has to spend with the children. This system is very unfair and completely outdated. Equal parental rights and responsibilities need to be in place!!
Jan 27th, 2017
George J. from Mechanicsville, MD writes:
This is a long standing issue that needs to be reformed so that it's fair to both parents, not just one. It seems like it's merely a way to supplement the other parents income for some reason. I'm penalized by paying way more than it takes to feed, clothe, and care for 3 children that I have more than half of the time anyway. It's another broken and unfair system.
Jan 27th, 2017
Shonda W. from Adamsville, TN writes:
Women should be required to work full time there is daycare and babysitters you even can claim that on taxes. The man man has to work and find babysitters. There is no excuse for the woman to contribute nothing. The case I'm basing some of this on the woman has never worked and is collecting child support from two men and she is receiving more from child support than most people make a month. Women should be told that if they don't work they should only receive minimum wage for support so they don't sit st home and trap men into paying their way. The man usually gets stuck with medical bills too. I propose a change to be made.
Jan 27th, 2017
Someone from Ada, MN writes:
My ex accrued 7k in child support debt through the state of north dakota and has managed to get all but 91 dollars of it waived with a motion. Stop whining and read your local laws or pay for a GOOD lawyer. This "I'm a victim" crap is getting old. I'm a mom and paying child support myself.
Jan 26th, 2017
Johnathon R. from Canby, OR signed.
Jan 26th, 2017
Jared P. from Jamesport, MO writes:
I have to pay 600 a month for 1 child to a mother that doesn't work. And the child lives with his grandparents. Cause she is an unfit parent. But I have no way to prove it and grandparents which are her parents will lie for her. But they told me that child has lived with them for years. And he is 8 now. And it took me a year in court to finally get to see my son. That I had no idea about until I got called into for Adnan test and now all of a sudden I have to pay childsupport. To a deadbeat mom. Who tried to make me look like a deadbeat dad.
Jan 26th, 2017
Someone from Dayton, OH writes:
My husbans ex wife now owns 5 properties thanks to his child support. He is selp employed and they took his 1099 income before any deductions for his self employment. Now he not only owes backchild support but also back taxes, back medical bills, and her attorney fees for contempt of court charges due to not being able to afford the outrageous child support they have put on him. We had to move out of our house, and move in to a neighborhoos that has break ins and a very high drug problem. We moved 45 minutes from his children so he alse had to give up some of his visitation time during the week due to not being able to afford to drive to see them just so he could pay enough of the child support. She buys investment properties with the support and pays their medical bills with her HSA and FSA funds then asks for reimbursement and gets everything tax free. If someone was to withdraw HSA funds they would incur a 20% penalty, she has found away around the system and now uses these medical reimbursements to buy investment properties.Last year alone she had more than $6,000 in medical bills he had to pay her tax free for healthy children. It is time to stop this madness and reform the system. It doesn't work and the father pays the price for a scorned woman. These women are giving all women a bad name.
Jan 26th, 2017
Aaron T. from Tuttle, OK writes:
Hi my name is Aaron Terry I lost my driver's license even though I have been paying religiously for the last year because the year before last I was without a job for a couple of months and built up a little bit of a balance there is people still walking the streets in Oklahoma with their driver's license that have way more child support that than I do I may still took my driver's license and told me that it would take three months of faithful payments to get it back
Jan 25th, 2017
Kathy S. from Waterloo, IA writes:
My son has 2 daughters , 2 different mother's. He has two separate income withholding statements one from Buchanan County one from Butler County this is where they live however the one from Butler County her grandfather is on the city council Waterloo and works good Black Hawk County Courthouse they are on borderline razzing him 3 years about everything he must get five to six letters a month right now he pays $414 for one and 357 for the other one he is on unemployment and gets $313 a week after they take out child support and they've also added health insurance now he will be bringing home about $98 this Travis not to mention the one mother has remarried they both quit their jobs and my granddaughter stepdad filed head of household and claim my son's daughter every year they won't even her social security number they do not count her step dad's income when it comes to how much my son's child support payment will be because he has no legal claim to her however he can apparently claim her on his taxes what the hell Where are his rights America should be ashamed
Jan 25th, 2017
Someone from Cedar Hill, MO writes:
The laws need to be updated. Mothers and Fathers should both be held accountable for providing for their children. Either parent should better their own life, whether by employment or education instead of relying on child support to pay their bills. Another issue is that a custodial parent can sign an affidavit charging the noncustodial parent with child support rears when there is no documentation to support the claim. The noncustodial parent then must prove payments some from 13 years ago!!! Who keeps records for 13 years? Government and businesses arent required to keep records for that long. How is a noncustodial parent suppossed to provide proof? A statute of limitations needs to be applied. Documentation from both parties needs to be a requirement.
Jan 25th, 2017
Jennifer O. from Lancaster, OH writes:
I am looking for as much info as possible on this topic! I want to see strict guidlines put into place on moms-dads that they both must participate in working and providing for the children! My husband does pay but fell behind when he became sick with a serious illness and was unable to work for 2yrs now he owes back child support, lost his DL and had to go to jail for 30days. What is his protection?? Meanwhile during our 11 years together the mother has not worked a single day and has more children! My husband and I both work very hard and have dealt with major set backs and it hurts our ability to provide for all of our children. Both parents should be required to work fulltime period.
Jan 25th, 2017
Someone from Hampstead, MD writes:
The child support laws should be changed and I am a woman saying this, for there are so many women out there not paying their share and they are literally just trying to stick it to their ex. Men being locked up after losing their job for whatever reason is absolutely ridiculous and so is the fact of their license being suspended. How are they supposed to work with no license. I personally feel like child support should be taken off of the table and each parent should have custody. The children benefit more when they have both parents in their lives. I personally love the women who tell their ex on their own that they can't see the child because they are not paying. That is just wrong. I feel like not each case is treated correctly. I am sorry but taxpayers should not be paying for the father's being locked up for lack of payments. The jails should be only for murderers, rapists and child molesters. If only someone had some comman sense. You tell me how a father who is locked up or has a suspended license really helps their child? I would love for someone to explain that to me. How about woman using one of the many wonderful birth control methods that are offered out there. There are some men who are homeless but, she is in a nice comfortable home. Something needs to be done.
Jan 25th, 2017
JOHN B. from Dillon, MT writes:
I don't mind paying my fair share, but the amount of child support I'm being charged is ridiculous. I have been ordered to pay almost $500 in child support for one child plus insurance.If I had custody it would cost me less than $200 a month to raise my son. This is not right and I assume it's happening millions of times in this country. Let's make the Child Support people accountable and the system fair.
Jan 25th, 2017
Pamela S. from Manassas, VA writes:
The whole system is very corrupt. The children should be the first priority not money. These children are our future, they deserve a fair system and they deserve to have two equally responsible parents.
Jan 24th, 2017
Shane K. from Red Lion, PA writes:
The child support system needs some updating to be fair for both parties. I know in my case since my 6 year old starting school she is now automatically qualified to receieve more support which is fine if the money was actually going to him. My problem is when we were together she was working a gull time job with mandatory overtime during winter months but now they allow her to claim her part time job as a school bus driver only making 10K a year. We live close enough to share school times and my family is all near by to help out with watching our son but instead I get hit hard because I have a full time job. So I have to work more hours to cover the child support yet now that I work more I owe more money since I make more. There should be a set amount or average amount of how much a child needs for the year and split that up based on custody instead of going off of income increases. I only work since my wife is a stay at home mother so we have one income which we can change but nowadays its scary with daycare so thats our choice. Now if the ex gets married or lives together for a set time that should count as a household income instead of her being able to work part time and not include the husbands income.
Jan 24th, 2017
Someone from Shreveport, LA writes:
As a mother I feel that the only way the man should be put on child support is when he's not helping, and or getting your child. I really feel the system is messed up when it comes to child support. Because you have some women who lives off of that alone. Then you have a fathers who are active in their child life and has 50/50 custody with the mother who still pays for majority of the child shoes, clothes, uniforms, school supplies, hair care, sports fees, and etc.
Jan 24th, 2017
Erwin W. from Flushing, NY writes:
Being a parent is God given right. Children's rights to have equal attentions, caring and time are protected under U.S. Constitution 14th amendment. Child support also violate the 13th amendment. Involuntary servitude: Section 1584 of Title 18 makes it unlawful to hold a person in a condition of slavery, that is, a condition of compulsory service of labor against his will. A section 1584 conviction requires that the victim be held against his will by actual force, threats of force, or threats of legal coercion. Section 1584 also prohibits compelling a person to work against his will by creating a ?climate of fear? through the use of force, threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion which is sufficient to compel service against a person?s will. No parent should have custodian rights if she/ he cannot support the children without having the child support.
Jan 24th, 2017
Mark V. from Leisenring, PA writes:
I think that a good idea. But it should be a law that if the father doesn't see their kids and courts say they can see there kids. but the women keeps the kids from there father they should not get child support. We as the fathers pays so much suppot we can't afford a lawyer. I haven't seen my kids for six years and can't afford the lawyers. Not fair at all!!!!
Jan 24th, 2017
Michael P. from Council Bluffs, IA writes:
I've been paying support for 17 years for a child that lives on the other side of the country, I've never seen her, and there's been no paternity test. You tell me how this is just. The system fails fathers everyday, and no one will do anything about it.