Repeal the WEP/GPO Penalties and Protect Earned Social Security Benefits

WHEREAS, After 1965, California?s educators were not allowed to participate in the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The State Teachers? Retirement System is not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The benefits of certain members of the Public Employees? Retirement System and retirement systems established pursuant to the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 are not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The public safety officers? retirement plans are uniquely designed to address the special needs of their professions, including firefighters? unique employment characteristics, such as the physical demands of the job, which ultimately result in higher injury rates and permanent disabilities; and
WHEREAS, The Social Security Act includes two penalties, the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), that reduce the Social Security benefits payable to persons who are entitled to benefits under other retirement systems, and which directly controvert the designed intention of these California public retirement system plans; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who move from private sector employment into teaching, public safety, and other careers in public service; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who earned Social Security benefits through their own employment prior to or after public service by denying earned benefits; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would greatly improve the opportunities for hiring and retaining teachers, peace officers, firefighters, and other public employees in California; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would provide economic stimulus across California by providing earned retirement benefits to public servants in every region of this state during this time of continuing slow economic growth;

The WEP/GPO:
? Penalizes public employees in all 50 states;
? Denies earned and paid for benefits;
? Penalizes widows and widowers by up to 100% loss of survivor benefits;

Congress must act now to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness.

Congress must act to repeal the WEP/GPO and protect earned and paid for Social Security benefits.

We the undersigned want Congress to act to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness by repealing the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
May 1st, 2016
Someone from Spokane, WA signed.
Apr 30th, 2016
Someone from Jackson, MS writes:
It is just not UNFAIR.....but WRONG.....UNAMERICAN.....and SHOULD be against the law as it is just plain robbery by our American government....punishment for already underpaid necessary professional AMERICAN WORKERS.
Apr 30th, 2016
Someone from Corpus Christi, TX signed.
Apr 28th, 2016
Someone from Hamilton, OH signed.
Apr 27th, 2016
Someone from Minneapolis, MN signed.
Apr 25th, 2016
Someone from San Tan Valley, AZ signed.
Apr 22nd, 2016
Someone from Tucson, AZ writes:
I worked as a federal firefighter for over 30 years and always had a part time job on my 24 hour off day. I paid in all those years and was penalized upon reaching social security age. This is stealing as far as I'm concerned and we should all be treated fairly
Apr 20th, 2016
Someone from Houston, TX signed.
Apr 19th, 2016
Someone from Brookline, MO writes:
I worked evenings and summers in Social Security taxed jobs for many many years, but because my primary income came from a non-Social Security taxed job as a public school teacher in Missouri, one half of my Social Security benefit has been taken from me.
Apr 19th, 2016
Someone from Bakersfield, CA signed.
Apr 18th, 2016
Someone from Saint Louis, MO writes:
I worked in the private sector out of college and paid into Social Security for 10 years. Then I went back to teaching in the public school system after my children were older. When I retired in 2008 at the age of 60, I began receiving my teacher's pension from PSRS under the Rule of 80. When my husband and I each turned 62 we applied for our social security benefits. We knew they would be reduced because we weren't 65, but then I learned just exactly how much my pension caused me to fall into the Windfall penalty category, and would be reduced to a pitiful amount, I learned how unfair this bill is. Two other scenarios cause me to feel this way: my 72 year old sister - in- law, who never worked outside the home and put nothing in Social Security, draws 1/2 of her husband's social security benefit each month and he is drawing his full social security as well, as well as getting his pension from the company from which he retired. My brother-in-law who is a retired Lieutenant Colonel as of 1992 with 21 years service draws 50% of his military pay and was able to get the full amount of his social security benefit when he turned 65. Furthermore, if my husband passes away, his social security payment will stop and I understand that I will not be entitled to 1/2 of it as my sister-in-law is entitled to half of her husband's. My brother-in-law, being part of the military, can draw both. Why are teachers and other government workers not entitled to draw social security payments if they were employed in the private sector and normally would qualify if they had not then taken a government job?. The WEP/GPO is grossly unfair to people who have worked hard all their lives in either/or the private and public sectors and also paid into Social Security while working in the private sector for the time necessary to normally be able to draw a benefit without being penalized. Congress must act now to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness and must act to repeal the WEp/GO and protect earned and paid for Social Security benefits!!!
Apr 16th, 2016
Someone from Simi Valley, CA writes:
My late husband paid into SS until his death at age 60.I have a small teachers' pension, which offsets my widows benefit. It's so unfair. My husband had toxic colitis when he was 40'.He survived, but I did much nursing, raising kids, and working over the years.
Apr 16th, 2016
Someone from Medford, MA writes:
I hope this terrible law is nearing the end real bad idea by Reagan and O'Neil.
Apr 15th, 2016
Someone from Riverbank, CA writes:
WEP is on othe most disgusting surprises our government drops on retired citizens. Work hard and pay taxes for 40 years and this is how they thank you.
Apr 15th, 2016
Someone from Sacramento, CA signed.
Apr 14th, 2016
Someone from Troy, MT signed.
Apr 14th, 2016
Someone from Ruston, LA signed.
Apr 14th, 2016
Someone from Shreveport, LA signed.
Apr 13th, 2016
Someone from Peoria, AZ writes:
What could be more important than being FAIR.
Apr 13th, 2016
Someone from Wheeling, IL signed.
Apr 13th, 2016
Someone from Mansfield, OH signed.
Apr 13th, 2016
Someone from Warren, IN signed.
Apr 8th, 2016
Someone from Harvey, LA writes:
It is hard to watch someone rob you of what you have earned. WEP/GPO is like watching a criminal invade your home.
Apr 8th, 2016
Someone from Lumberton, TX signed.
Apr 7th, 2016
Someone from Hewitt, TX signed.
Apr 4th, 2016
Someone from Dayton, OH signed.
Apr 4th, 2016
Someone from Dayton, OH signed.
Apr 3rd, 2016
Someone from Pahoa, HI writes:
The vast majority of people who experience cuts to their Social Security Retirement $$$ are poor. Over 80% are women who have not met the "thirty years of substantial earnings" caveat. Please keep in mind that these women were earning seventy-five cents on the dollar as compared to men; they often took time off to have and care for their children or to pursue higher education goals. And for this, they are being penalized. Shame, shame, SHAME on every member of Congress who does not fight in earnest to repeal the WEP and GPO social security payment reductions!
Apr 2nd, 2016
Someone from Lafayette, LA signed.
Apr 1st, 2016
Someone from Pontiac, IL writes:
I had all my SS credits prior to my divorce in 1994; I then went back to school to complete my under-graduate and graduate degrees for school psychology as I put my two children through college as well. I am in my 15th year of TRS in Illinois, which I believe is only one of several states which does not allow one to draw from both retirement systems. I wonder if I will ever be able to retire.
Apr 1st, 2016
Someone from Lincoln, NE signed.
Apr 1st, 2016
Someone from Fort Washington, MD signed.
Mar 31st, 2016
Someone from Boulder, CO signed.
Mar 30th, 2016
Someone from Cypress, TX signed.
Mar 30th, 2016
Someone from Paso Robles, CA signed.
Mar 29th, 2016
Someone from Avon Lake, OH signed.
Mar 29th, 2016
Someone from Avon Lake, OH signed.
Mar 29th, 2016
Someone from Pleasant Hill, CA signed.
Mar 29th, 2016
Someone from Fort Bragg, CA signed.
Mar 29th, 2016
Someone from San Leandro, CA writes:
I worked for a fire dept for 23 years and worked in the private sector for many years so I got a minimal amount of social security. When my husband died I got none of his benefits. I worked all my adult life until the age of 68 and feel cheated.