Repeal the WEP/GPO Penalties and Protect Earned Social Security Benefits

WHEREAS, After 1965, California?s educators were not allowed to participate in the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The State Teachers? Retirement System is not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The benefits of certain members of the Public Employees? Retirement System and retirement systems established pursuant to the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 are not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The public safety officers? retirement plans are uniquely designed to address the special needs of their professions, including firefighters? unique employment characteristics, such as the physical demands of the job, which ultimately result in higher injury rates and permanent disabilities; and
WHEREAS, The Social Security Act includes two penalties, the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), that reduce the Social Security benefits payable to persons who are entitled to benefits under other retirement systems, and which directly controvert the designed intention of these California public retirement system plans; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who move from private sector employment into teaching, public safety, and other careers in public service; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who earned Social Security benefits through their own employment prior to or after public service by denying earned benefits; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would greatly improve the opportunities for hiring and retaining teachers, peace officers, firefighters, and other public employees in California; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would provide economic stimulus across California by providing earned retirement benefits to public servants in every region of this state during this time of continuing slow economic growth;

The WEP/GPO:
? Penalizes public employees in all 50 states;
? Denies earned and paid for benefits;
? Penalizes widows and widowers by up to 100% loss of survivor benefits;

Congress must act now to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness.

Congress must act to repeal the WEP/GPO and protect earned and paid for Social Security benefits.

We the undersigned want Congress to act to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness by repealing the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
Aug 30th, 2016
Someone from Delray Beach, FL signed.
Aug 30th, 2016
Someone from Franklin, MA writes:
retired civil service,fire,28 yrs.worked private sector since 15yrs old till recently.70% gone of ss at 62. while at ss office,there was two folks my age.maybe 20 or so much younger on line.whats wrong with that picture.
Aug 28th, 2016
Someone from Bethesda, MD signed.
Aug 26th, 2016
Someone from Staten Island, NY signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Northfield, MA signed.
Aug 18th, 2016
Someone from Brick, NJ writes:
This should have been taken care of years ago, or never existed. It makes working for the government a disgrace . We shouldn't have to ask the next president, it should be gone now. We know already Obama lied about getting rid of it. The WEP/GPO must be repealed. It is totally illegal in my opinion. I had requested it in (The Plain Writing Act) from Obama and not received it. This was not made to take money away from poor hard working people. If you pay into SS you should receive what you are entitled to, including spousal benefits. It should have nothing to do with any Government jobs which your paid into a different retirement plan. This is the United States of America, where everybody is supposed to be treated equal. This makes working for the Government a disgrace. It is no different then me saving for future by stuffing my mattress and the Government coming and taking it out.
Aug 16th, 2016
Someone from Metairie, LA signed.
Aug 14th, 2016
Someone from Atlanta, TX signed.
Aug 13th, 2016
Someone from New Bedford, MA signed.
Aug 11th, 2016
Someone from Dayton, OH signed.
Aug 11th, 2016
Someone from Dayton, OH signed.
Aug 11th, 2016
Someone from New Orleans, LA writes:
I worked over 22 years and paid ss and the last 25 I have been working for local govt I am getting ready to retired why should govt take any of my ss benifits I paid for them and now I deserve all I deserve
Aug 8th, 2016
Someone from Ontario, CA signed.
Aug 8th, 2016
Someone from Canyon Country, CA writes:
It's like if you contributed to a 401K, but then contributed to a 457, the balance of your 401K is either reduced or eliminated. What kind of sense does that make?
Aug 7th, 2016
Someone from Arcadia, CA signed.
Aug 7th, 2016
Someone from Pearblossom, CA signed.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Lancaster, CA signed.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Port Orange, FL writes:
I've worked full-time 45 years. Twenty-five of those years were in the public sector and twenty were in the private sector. I paid into Social Security for 20 years and am still paying into it. Please, Congress & Senate, justly repeal the WEP.
Aug 3rd, 2016
Someone from Virginia Beach, VA writes:
I am a retired civil service worker of 28 years of service with a pension. Also work 16 plus years in the private sector. I went to apply for my social security retirement and was very shock to find out I was only receiving half. I need some help understanding why this is happing. I work so hard all my life to enjoy my retirement and now see what the government is doing. I am not asking for other people?s money just asking for what I have worked so hard for. Every payday the government took their payment why can?t I have mind. I hope I am not asking for a handout. If I am wrong asking for this please forgive me. Thanks for letting me vent and have a nice retirement one day.
Aug 1st, 2016
Someone from Pacific Grove, CA signed.
Aug 1st, 2016
Someone from Nipomo, CA signed.
Jul 30th, 2016
Someone from Lancaster, CA signed.
Jul 30th, 2016
Someone from Los Angeles, CA signed.
Jul 30th, 2016
Someone from North Little Rock, AR writes:
My wife is a retired civil servant. If I die, she should get all benefits that I paid into Social Security, not a reduced amount. Working for the government is hard enough, but now there's this penalty? Wake up Congress -- this affects you too!
Jul 30th, 2016
Someone from North Little Rock, AR writes:
This provision unfairly impacts hard working Americans who have worked their entire lives to have a good retirement. They have also dedicated their lives to being civil servants and are being repaid with reduced annuities.
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Pasadena, CA signed.
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Valencia, CA signed.
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Los Angeles, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Long Beach, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Alhambra, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Sylmar, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from West Hills, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Sherman Oaks, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Cerritos, CA writes:
It is about time, worked in the private section before coming to local govt and I should be eligible for these benefits.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Long Beach, CA signed.
Jul 26th, 2016
Someone from Simi Valley, CA writes:
I worked most of my 40 SS quarters in the private sector. Why should I be penalized for working in the public sector? The government has no business taking what I rightfully earned! Totally unfair!
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Lancaster, CA writes:
I paid into SS in the private sector and 9 1/2 years as a Government employee before the enactment of WEP. Both my SS benefit and retirement were reduced by WEP, however not a cent of the money paid into SS or my retirement fund were reimbursed. We deserve to be paid by the same standards of all who pay into SS and retirement funds. We earned it, we paid it, it is owed to us!.
Jul 20th, 2016
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
Jul 19th, 2016
Someone from Daytona Beach, FL signed.
Jul 16th, 2016
Someone from Longmeadow, MA writes:
The wep is not fair to those that have worked in multiple occupations. Many of us had another job just to make ends meet and to take 40% from my proposed benefits that I have earned is wrong.