Repeal the WEP/GPO Penalties and Protect Earned Social Security Benefits

Public Comments (11,667)
  • Jun 11th, 2019
    Darlene B. from Port Allen, LA writes:
    Dear Senator, I am a widow since 2006, I finally am turning 60 this year and my long awaited widows pension with Social Security will finally be attainable. It has been a rough 12 years on my own to say the least. My last 20 years I was employed by the West Baton Rouge Parish School District. Because of this I am told I will be penalized by 2/3 of my nearly $1900/.monthly benefit. My monthly benefit is reduced to $673/month!!!!!@@@ THAT IS RIDICULOUS LOUISIANA IS ONE OF THE FEW STATES THAT STILL DO THIS. please do something to stop this
    REPORT COMMENTS

Do you want to report these comments to the moderator for removal? They should be offensive, threatening, a duplicate submission, or spam.

• Jul 23rd, 2018
    Gary H. from Livingston, MT writes:
    It's time to make the citizenry whole, tax cuts do not do anything for US on monthly fixed income.. must REPEAL THE WEP PROVISION AND THE GPO, WAGES GOING UP, MEANS OUR FIXED INCOME IS NOT.. SEE OUT DILEMMA.. MUST REPEAL THE WEP/GPO...

• Jul 10th, 2018
    5 paragraph essay on the outsiders 5. from Oakfield, NY writes:
    EssayOneDay provides students with professionally written essays, trafos.32essay.com/individuality/aga-khan-reports-online.html enquire into papers, settle papers, reviews, theses, dissertations and more. Ages you upon EssayOneDay for your disquisition column needs, you won’t recompense to adjudicate any other practicality rantee first-class strain scold wellhors.32essay.com/writing-desk/marketing-personal-statement.html and 100% plagiarism free papers.

• May 29th, 2018
    Gary H. from Livingston, MT writes:
    The WEP PROVISION AND THE GPO MUST BE REPEALED, THERE'S JUST TOO MANY OF US THAT HAVE BEEN TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF... CONGRESS MUST MAKE US WHOLE.. WE'RE NOT ASKING FOR RETROACTIVE PAY, BUT IT WOULD BE RESONABLE AND FAIR.. MR. PRESIDENT , MY PRESIDENT, WE NOT WE HAVE BEEN TREATED FAIRLY.. THE WEP PROVISION AND THE GPO MUST BE ELIMINATED, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE ALL OF US WHOLE, AFTER ALL WE WORKED ALL OF OUR LIVES FOR THIS COUNTRY THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING.. PLEASE DO WHAT IS RIGHT... REPLEAL THE WEP PROVISION AND THE GPO... THANK YOU....

• May 27th, 2018
    Gary H. from Livingston, MT writes:
    This terrible law which affects so many, TEACHERS, POLICE, FIREFIGHTERS, PUBLIC SERVANTS, BUT DOES NOT HAVE ANY AFFECTS ON THE TAX PAYING PUBLIC.. LOST 50% OF MY BENEFIT, AFTER WORKING ALL MY LIFE , SUBSTANTIAL INCOME.. AFTER ALL THE YEARS OF EMPLOYMENT..PLEASE REPEAL THIS UNFAIR LAW, WE WORKED ALL OUR LIVES TO BE SHUNDED......

• May 27th, 2018
    Gary H. from Livingston, MT writes:
    Please PLEASE, REPEAL THE WEP PROVISION AND THE GPO...

• Dec 24th, 2017
    Joseph P. from Brentwood, NY signed.
  • Nov 27th, 2017
    Kenneth B. from Brick, NJ writes:
    It's time to stop steeling from the American People who worked for the Government and private sector. We didn't work multiple jobs and pay multiple pensions to get robbed. We did it to survive. Meanwhile The Government gives money to other countries. Well it's time to take care of your own people first. We are not asking for something special, we want what we paid for. When you pay into two buckets, you should receive from two buckets. The problem is, the government stole from the national bucket. Stop robbing the Americans who supported you.

• Nov 22nd, 2017
    Someone from Lake Zurich, IL writes:
    WEP is unfair to Visa Lottery winner. After 20 years employment in Poland I immigrated to the US. WEP reducing my retirement benefit from Poland to $32 monthly. How I should pay having no SSA# from 5000 miles away? There exist any procedure to pay from others countries SSA tax? So I dropped the $32, whole retirement from the other country, and I will have full SSA retirement and I will be entitled to all additional supports from federal, state and county governments. This is how WEP will supports o the US economy. This "rules" must be verified.

• Nov 17th, 2017
    JUDITH H. from Colorado Springs, CO writes:
    WEP STORMED INTO MY MIND TODAY...STRONG AND HEAVY. AS I BEGAN PLANNING FINANCIAL MEANS TO SHARE A DELIGHTFUL CHRISTMAS WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS, I COULDN'T HELP BUT WONDER WHAT I COULD/WOULD DO IF I HAD ACCESS TO THE $ AMOUNT DEDUCTED FROM MY MEDICARE BENEFIT BECAUSE OF MY YEARS OF PUBLIC SERVICE WITH PERA. WOULD I TRAVEL TO VISITS MY KIDS IN OTHER STATES...YES! WOULD I GIFT THEM AND THEIRS WITH SENTIMENTAL, MEMORY MAKING PRESENTS...YES. WOULD I BE ABLE TO GENEROUSLY DONATE TO ORGANIZATIONS WORKING HARD TO ASSIST CARE & SHARE, WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN SAFE HOUSES, HOMELESS SHELTERS, THE BELL RINGERS KETTLE AND ON AND ON. WITHOUT THE $400 I WORKED FOR AND ASID INTO S.S., I AM UNABLE TO,OPEN MY HEART AND/OR PURSE STRINGS AS I WOULD LIKE TO. REPEAL THIS UNFAIR, DEGRADING, CONFUSING AND PREJUDICE DRIVEN ACT IMMEDIATELY SO I CAN REAP THE REWARDS OF WORKING HARD AND LONG BEFORE I MEET MY MAKER.

• Nov 17th, 2017
    Joseph P. from Brentwood, NY writes:
    WEP/GPO is not fair to those that put in their 40 Quarters to Social Security.

• Nov 14th, 2017
    JUDITH H. from Colorado Springs, CO writes:
    PLEASE REPEAL. THE WRA IS UNFAIR AND APPEARS TO BE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST PUBLIC EMPLOYEES RECEIVING PERA BENEFITS. PLEASE REPEAL!!!

• Nov 12th, 2017
    JUDITH H. from Colorado Springs, CO writes:
    Please repeal the WEP/WRA which penalizes PERA recipients from receiving their full SSA benefit. This is extremely unfair to those of us who worked in preparation for eventual retirement. My SSA benefits are decreased by $400 monthly. When added to the amount deducted for Medicare + amount paid for supplemental health insurance, my SSA drops to a negative. This is absolutely unfair and needs to be repealed immediately. Allow hard working Americans the full retirement they earned, paid taxes on and deserve.

• Nov 3rd, 2017
    Todd K. from Mandan, ND signed.
  • Nov 2nd, 2017
    Someone from Port Orange, FL writes:
    Please repeal the unfair WEP. We paid our Social Security taxes as required. It is counter productive to steal benefits. This administration believes it is rectifying the wrongdoings of previous administrations. This is a huge wrongdoing that is hurting our teachers, firefighters, police, and many other dedicated law-abiding US citizens. PLEASE repeal WEP ASAP.

• Oct 24th, 2017
    John H. from Bandon, OR writes:
    repeal WEP/GPO and return the money to the rightful owners.

• Oct 24th, 2017
    Joseph P. from Brentwood, NY signed.
  • Oct 22nd, 2017
    Pamela R. from Richmond, TX writes:
    Repeal wep and gpo now

• Oct 22nd, 2017
    Pamela R. from Richmond, TX writes:
    Repeal wep and gpo now

• Oct 22nd, 2017
    Pamela R. from Richmond, TX writes:
    Repeal wep and gpo now

• Oct 16th, 2017
    len m. from Waverly, OH writes:
    Repeal the WEP and GPO now. This law is so unfair to teachers who worked two jobs to keep a roof over their families heads and food on the table. Teachers don't make that much money. I needed to worked two jobs. Now that I'm retired I need all of my SS, I have to choose between food and medicine. NOT FAIR!! Why should I and others be punished for working two jobs!!!

• Oct 14th, 2017
    Someone from Carthage, MO writes:
    Please repeal WEP and GPO. Public workers are being penalized for work completed and for supporting a spouse who is now deceased. Pay us back for what is owed to us plus interest.

• Oct 9th, 2017
    Pam B. from Shawnee, KS writes:
    Watch SENATOR JOHN KENNEDY...on YOUTUBE video 10/3/17....asking for REPEALS OF WEP & GPO !!! It's time to fight!!!

• Oct 2nd, 2017
    Someone from Addison, IL writes:
    Public workers should be treated the same as private workers. I have my 40 quarters plus in for social security, but none are considered "substantial earnings" by the formulas used. The wep, and gpo hurt the lowest paid government pension workers the most. Women are especially affected as they often worked lower paid jobs that had hours to meet family needs. Now these women, because of a small trs retirement from substitute teaching, cannot receive any of their spouse's social security, and their own social security is very low. I am very close to poverty level because of the discriminatory wep/gpo. Repeal the wep/gpo for the discrimination against those receiving any kind of government pension.

• Sep 30th, 2017
    Someone from Sunbury, NC writes:
    Worked two jobs all my life to be punished for it. Pay everyone back pay plus interest for what you owe us.

• Sep 14th, 2017
    Greg M. from San Diego, CA writes:
    WEP punishes teachers just when America needs them.

• Sep 12th, 2017
    Someone from Mcdonough, GA writes:
    Please repeal the warp and gov offset, it reduced by SS from 1500 to 225. My pension is only for ten years, I worked in other jobs not gov. Jobs and paid into SS for 21 years, I have been robbed of my retirement and my ex who paid into SS for 30 years, and due yo Zhov offset, I cannot collect a spouse benefit. It has reduced me as a teacher yo poverty, while others my age 70, receive their gull benefits. So unfair. There has been bills to repeal this bill for over ten years, stop the pain and unfairness, to our elder citizens.Repeal it now 2017.

• Sep 12th, 2017
    Someone from Mcdonough, GA writes:

• Sep 10th, 2017
    Someone from Willowbrook, IL signed.
  • Sep 5th, 2017
    serena r. from Dallas, TX writes:
    To take funds from my SS is stealing. Government keeps 2/3 of what is mine. This is so unfair. This should be repealed entirely. My retirement is low. I need my SS.

• Sep 2nd, 2017
    Kenneth B. from Brick, NJ writes:

• Aug 24th, 2017
    deborah b. from Baltimore, OH signed.
  • Aug 15th, 2017
    Ann D. from Concord, CA signed.
  • Aug 14th, 2017
    Abraham A. from El Paso, TX signed.
  • Aug 11th, 2017
    Someone from Paxton, IL signed.
  • Aug 9th, 2017
    Steve S. from Bakersfield, CA writes:
    Health costs are not getting cheaper. You (politicians) aren't fixing that. At least give us what we've earned, what we rightly deserve; repeal the WEP!

• Jul 31st, 2017
    Someone from Channahon, IL writes:
    My husband died at age 58, so he never collected of a penny of Social Security. Because I am a retired teacher, I cannot receive spousal benefits. Totally unfair. I hope if this is repealed, it will be retroactive to include widows/widowers like me.

• Jul 26th, 2017
    John M. from Santa Rosa Beach, FL signed.
  • Jul 15th, 2017
    Someone from Kingman, AZ writes:
    If I understand it right, if you are a spouse of someone that had their pension reduced because of WEP, you are stuck with that reduced amount after that spouse dies. Some of us government employees signed about for CSRS spousal coverage by being docked monthly so our spouse could coverage. At least they will have that and maybe their own Social Security if they earned it along with the reduced WEP. I still think it should never have been reduced, because it was earned.

• Jul 12th, 2017
    Someone from Houma, LA writes:
    Being penalized for giving years to the state and then the state hospital was privatized and I could not linger continued state employment. But I have to work so there is no choice but Be an employee in the private sector. Being wronged and cheated!