Repeal the WEP/GPO Penalties and Protect Earned Social Security Benefits

WHEREAS, After 1965, California?s educators were not allowed to participate in the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The State Teachers? Retirement System is not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The benefits of certain members of the Public Employees? Retirement System and retirement systems established pursuant to the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 are not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The public safety officers? retirement plans are uniquely designed to address the special needs of their professions, including firefighters? unique employment characteristics, such as the physical demands of the job, which ultimately result in higher injury rates and permanent disabilities; and
WHEREAS, The Social Security Act includes two penalties, the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), that reduce the Social Security benefits payable to persons who are entitled to benefits under other retirement systems, and which directly controvert the designed intention of these California public retirement system plans; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who move from private sector employment into teaching, public safety, and other careers in public service; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who earned Social Security benefits through their own employment prior to or after public service by denying earned benefits; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would greatly improve the opportunities for hiring and retaining teachers, peace officers, firefighters, and other public employees in California; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would provide economic stimulus across California by providing earned retirement benefits to public servants in every region of this state during this time of continuing slow economic growth;

The WEP/GPO:
? Penalizes public employees in all 50 states;
? Denies earned and paid for benefits;
? Penalizes widows and widowers by up to 100% loss of survivor benefits;

Congress must act now to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness.

Congress must act to repeal the WEP/GPO and protect earned and paid for Social Security benefits.

We the undersigned want Congress to act to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness by repealing the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
May 19th, 2016
Someone from Brick, NJ writes:
The WEP/GPO, in my opinion is like a Felon, convicted and still out on bail for thirty-five years. This Repeal should be acted upon "Now". As I previously mentioned, this law is in my opinion illegal. If you take money from what the people paid for, it is called stealing.
May 19th, 2016
Someone from Trenton, NJ writes:
I have been retired for almost 5 yrs now and have not had a cost of living increase on my pension because I live in NJ and the Govenor froze our increases because they have mismanaged out pension system for years. Would be nice if I could collect my full SS even if it is only 1k a Month. I will probably have to go back to work to keep up with the cost of living.
May 18th, 2016
Someone from Toledo, OH writes:
Need WEP relief to fund Medicare and Medigap premiums.
May 17th, 2016
Someone from Lebanon, PA signed.
May 14th, 2016
Someone from Salinas, CA signed.
May 13th, 2016
Someone from Watsonville, CA signed.
May 13th, 2016
Someone from Salinas, CA writes:
I may have to quit teaching in order to not starve in my old age if this is not changed!
May 13th, 2016
Someone from Lafayette, LA writes:
Is. It doubling dipping ( I earned it)
May 13th, 2016
Someone from Brooklyn, NY signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Houston, TX writes:
We need professionals to enter the teaching profession, yet we penalize them for doing so Repeal this non-essential law. Practice fiscal responsibility and there is no need to further burden taxpayers.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Laurel, MD signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Wynnewood, PA signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Seattle, WA signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Mercer Island, WA signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Huntingtown, MD signed.
May 12th, 2016
Someone from Salinas, CA writes:
I dared to question the SSA about how the WEP is calculated. Now I am being penalized twice as much as I was last month. Initially the WEP was applied to my spousal benefit taking 1/2 of the lump sum retirement from my self funded plan. Now the GPO is being used to to take 2/3 of that money. When I retired last year I was shocked to learn about this as neither UNLV nor any federal official warned me of the impact of working in a state that did not allow faculty to pay SS tax nor join the state retirement plan. As the calculation stands now I will loose over 50000 of my SS retirement that I have already paid for. Why is the federal government stealing my retirement Dom me?
May 10th, 2016
Someone from Cheshire, MA writes:
I am resigned to working well into my 80's if the WEP/GPO does not get repealed. I am a paraprofessional in a public school and my income is $22,000. I am a widow and my husband paid into Social Security until he was killed in an industrial accident. Funny how dedication to employment killed him and robs me of benefits and a reasonable age to retire. Please repeal this NOW!
May 9th, 2016
Someone from Antelope, CA writes:
This is just wrong, I am a vet and a counselor and am affected by this.
May 9th, 2016
Someone from Broomall, PA signed.
May 9th, 2016
Someone from North Las Vegas, NV signed.
May 8th, 2016
Someone from Goshen, IN signed.
May 4th, 2016
Someone from Covington, GA signed.
May 4th, 2016
Someone from Miami, FL writes:
I need the benefits that I earned and am entitled to. The Windfall Elimination bill is grossly unfair and needs to be repealed now. I am really struggling to make it, after I worked hard to support 3 children all on my own, and still cannot fully retire, I must keep working to make ends meet. I'm in my seventies! What happens when I just can't do it anymore? Where will I go? I was so proud of my job, but now I'm so sad. What a kick in the Butt.
May 3rd, 2016
Someone from Allen, TX writes:
There are some sad stories here. How could the democrats do this? I spend 12 years in private sector and paid my social security. Don't I deserve it? I hope WEP and GPO gets repealed. I know the social security program is in trouble but I hope our gov officials fix it soon. It is very sad for many people who serve our country as teachers, fire fighters, etc.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Houston, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Spring, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Burleson, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Cleburne, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Missouri City, TX signed.
May 2nd, 2016
Someone from Granbury, TX writes:
The Windfall Elimination is absurd and grossly unfair! It could actually be perceived as gender biased since the majority of workers in education are female. This should be passed without hesitation! If not then I should be refunded all of my personal contributions to SS since trying to access them will actually cost me! I work in the Career and Technical end of education. With the emphasis currently being placed in this area we are going to loose the opportunity to hire great teachers in this area because they will have to come out of industry and this will be a killer for them!!
May 1st, 2016
Someone from Mansfield, TX writes:
The Windfall Elimination bill is grossly unfair. This needs to be reversed now. The kids will be on the short end as people will not want to teach anymore as a second career especially if you have worked a previous job where social security was taken out. I am a victim of this.
May 1st, 2016
Someone from Biglerville, PA signed.
May 1st, 2016
Someone from Pleasant Hall, PA writes:
If we pay in to Social Security - we should be entitled to the same payout as everyone else.
May 1st, 2016
Someone from New York, NY signed.
May 1st, 2016
Someone from Chambersburg, PA signed.