Repeal the WEP/GPO Penalties and Protect Earned Social Security Benefits

WHEREAS, After 1965, California?s educators were not allowed to participate in the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The State Teachers? Retirement System is not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The benefits of certain members of the Public Employees? Retirement System and retirement systems established pursuant to the County Employees Retirement Law of 1937 are not coordinated with the Federal Social Security System; and
WHEREAS, The public safety officers? retirement plans are uniquely designed to address the special needs of their professions, including firefighters? unique employment characteristics, such as the physical demands of the job, which ultimately result in higher injury rates and permanent disabilities; and
WHEREAS, The Social Security Act includes two penalties, the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), that reduce the Social Security benefits payable to persons who are entitled to benefits under other retirement systems, and which directly controvert the designed intention of these California public retirement system plans; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who move from private sector employment into teaching, public safety, and other careers in public service; and
WHEREAS, These provisions penalize individuals who earned Social Security benefits through their own employment prior to or after public service by denying earned benefits; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would greatly improve the opportunities for hiring and retaining teachers, peace officers, firefighters, and other public employees in California; and
WHEREAS, The elimination of the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision would provide economic stimulus across California by providing earned retirement benefits to public servants in every region of this state during this time of continuing slow economic growth;

The WEP/GPO:
? Penalizes public employees in all 50 states;
? Denies earned and paid for benefits;
? Penalizes widows and widowers by up to 100% loss of survivor benefits;

Congress must act now to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness.

Congress must act to repeal the WEP/GPO and protect earned and paid for Social Security benefits.

We the undersigned want Congress to act to provide Social Security Solvency and Fairness by repealing the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset.
Jul 11th, 2016
Someone from Wheeling, IL signed.
Jul 11th, 2016
Someone from Los Altos, CA signed.
Jul 10th, 2016
Someone from Lake Charles, LA writes:
The WEP/GPO is unfair to someone who has paid in to both systems! I will lose 40% of my Social Security benefits when I start drawing my state pension!
Jul 6th, 2016
Someone from Martinez, CA signed.
Jul 4th, 2016
Someone from Aptos, CA writes:
WEP/GPO is guaranteeing impoverishment of sectors of the population. It punishes those of us who dared to become teachers. Why is this poisonous law not repealed? Is it harming our representatives as well?
Jul 3rd, 2016
Someone from Henderson, NV signed.
Jun 29th, 2016
Someone from Baldwin, NY writes:
the windfall should also affect our congressional and senatorial leaders.
Jun 29th, 2016
Someone from Lake Charles, LA signed.
Jun 23rd, 2016
Someone from Lafayette, LA signed.
Jun 20th, 2016
Someone from Spring, TX writes:
work hard all your life and at the end of your working years be punished by your government. never work and be rewarded by your government.
Jun 20th, 2016
Someone from Waller, TX writes:
Jun 18th, 2016
Someone from Troy, OH signed.
Jun 18th, 2016
Someone from Brick, NJ writes:
The WEP/GPO must be repealed. It is totally illegal in my opinion. I had requested it in (The Plain Writing Act) from Obama and not received it. This was not made to take money away from poor hard working people. If you pay into SS you should receive what you are entitled to, including spousal benefits. It should have nothing to do with any Government jobs which your paid into a different retirement plan. This is the United States of America, where everybody is supposed to be treated equal. This makes working for the Government a disgrace. It is no different then me saving for future by stuffing my mattress and the Government coming and taking it out.
Jun 17th, 2016
Someone from Woburn, MA signed.
Jun 17th, 2016
Someone from Cincinnati, OH writes:
The US Supreme Court recently determined that the ACA federal penalty for not having health Insurance is a federal tax. Because of that decision, the WEP penalty is probably a federal tax, If the WEP penalty is not a federal tax, Congress probably overstepped its tax authority under the 14th Amendment. Also, there is sometimes double or triple taxation of Social Security yearly income (rounding down penalty cited on SSA award letters, WEP penalty tax, and 50% up to 85% taxability for SSA pensions over certain amounts listed on Form 1040).
Jun 16th, 2016
Someone from Santee, CA writes:
The WEP and GPO are completely unfair to employees that have earned Social Security benefits in a second career. After serving as a Federal Employee in Department of Defense for 33 years I retired. I have been working full time in a second career for over 12 years now. I elected to receive SS benefits at age 66 only to find that approximately 40% of my SS benefit is offset because I had worked in a public sector position that didn't contribute to SSA. Why would the benefit I earned be offset? The formula is faulty and should be repealed. I realize that our representatives won't follow thru on this due to politics and their concern that their image would suffer. Hogwash! They need to do the Right thing, and do it this year.
Jun 15th, 2016
Someone from Pickerington, OH signed.
Jun 14th, 2016
Someone from Gretna, LA signed.
Jun 13th, 2016
Someone from Ocala, FL signed.
Jun 13th, 2016
Someone from Greenwell Springs, LA signed.
Jun 13th, 2016
Someone from Alba, TX signed.
Jun 5th, 2016
Someone from Huntington Beach, CA writes:
After working in the private sector for years, I began a public sector career - 16 years as a court employee serving the public as of now. I did not know then, or for several years afterward, that simply choosing to bring my work skills into the public sector meant I was involuntarily sacrificing/giving up to 1/2 the social security benefits I had already paid/earned in my past. I was shocked and now appalled, after knowing the dire consequences, the unjust financial discrimination and suffering to so many hard working tax paying citizens and families continues because lawmakers haven't taken action. Please repeal these wrong laws.
Jun 4th, 2016
Someone from Huntington Beach, CA writes:
This is an unfair law in many ways. It could discourage people from pursuing a career in education if moving from the private sector and bringing valuable real world experience to our students. It is unfair for a widow to be excluded from receiving spousal survivor benefits in retirement. Those who have paid into the system should not be arbitrarily excluded because of a career choice.
Jun 4th, 2016
Someone from Peoria, AZ writes:
My mom who passed away worked 40 yrs, 20 under SS and 20 for the post office. SS cut her pay called her a double dipper? Between the 2 she got 900 a month. A real windfall after 40 years of work. Double dipper hello she worked 20 years and SS stole her money. Every time she got increase they took it away in higher medicare charges. I have a public pension and 20 years of SS work most was earned part-time. Didn't know I needed 20 qualifying years. Never heard of that until about 5 years ago. In my younger days I could of had those qualifying years, but didn't know about them, IE: need to have made 17k, but only made 16K so that year didn't count. I would be well on my way to 30 in SS, but didn't about that little caveat. So I'll have 15 qualifying years and still be lucky to collect anything. WEP and GPO need to be completely repealed. I've heard others took their pension out and collected SS so they didn't get hit with double dipping penalty. That's crazy.
Jun 3rd, 2016
Someone from Alexandria, VA signed.
Jun 1st, 2016
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
Jun 1st, 2016
Someone from Elizabethtown, KY signed.
May 31st, 2016
Someone from Portsmouth, VA signed.
May 30th, 2016
Someone from Houston, TX signed.
May 27th, 2016
Someone from Clyde, TX signed.
May 27th, 2016
Someone from Clyde, TX signed.
May 26th, 2016
Someone from Greenwell Springs, LA signed.
May 26th, 2016
Someone from Bakersfield, CA signed.
May 22nd, 2016
Someone from Cypress, TX signed.
May 21st, 2016
Someone from Lake Forest, CA signed.
May 20th, 2016
Someone from Brick, NJ writes:
As to Charleen Lutx Schuehle?s message: Charleen Lutz Schuehle Good info in Action Alert #81, go to ssfairness website to read. I've attached info on Ric Robson: The Battle in the Courts Ken Barychko says: I?ve been saying for years, Isn?t there a Lawyer out there that has the nerve and strength to find a way to look into the loopholes this law has and how the government converted it to affect the hard working low income people. I know this isn?t what Ronald Regan had in mind when it was first written. Other government officials found a way to turn it upside down and inside and out. I commend Ric Robson, he may be the miracle I?ve been praying for. The WEP/GPO has to be illegal, and should be Repealed and Retroactive to all affected, (at least the people still alive) that are affected. I still never heard back from Obama, whom I asked for this law be sent to me in (The Plain Writing Act) which he endorsed in 2010.
May 20th, 2016
Someone from Brick, NJ writes:
May 20th, 2016
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
May 20th, 2016
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
May 20th, 2016
Someone from East Wenatchee, WA signed.