Investigation into Lupron Side Effects (Leuprolide Acetate)

The purpose of this petition is to warn others regarding the drug Lupron (Leupolide Acetate) mfg. by Takeda/Abbott Pharmaceuticals in the hope that further long-term safety studies are done before it disables or kills more women. This drug was originally marketed to treat prostate cancer patients but now is widely used for the treatment of endometriosis, infertility, fibroids/ovarian cysts and even precocious puberty.

Many women are continuing to suffer the side effects long after taking their last dose even though their doctor and the pharmaceutical company states that the side effects should go away within 3-6 months. Side effects include but are not limited to: hot flashes, memory loss, tachycardia, hematura, hypotension, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, Vitamin D deficiency, constant gnawing bone/joint pain, osteoarthritis, osteopenia, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, autoimmune diseases, blood disorders, cancer and many others including death and yet not one long term study has been conducted.

It is devastating to us that we agreed to take an FDA approved drug under the care of our physician whom we trusted only to find ourselves sicker than you could imagine ---- in pain and unable to get the proper treatment or even believed that Lupron caused our problems.

We hereby request that an investigation be undertaken into the short term and long term effects of Lupron on women. We further request that all outcomes and results of such trials be released and published so that both patients and doctors alike may have the benefit of all the information regarding this drug.

Sep 25th, 2016
Someone from Valdosta, GA signed.
Sep 25th, 2016
Someone from Hahira, GA writes:
Started lupron after having endometriosis removed from my bowels and womb. I'm on my 2nd shot and suffering with, migraines, exhaustion, depression, breathing issues, my bones hurt, my body aches. My anxiety has reached a new level. Seeing my Dr Tuesday to tell him on will not being going back for a 3rd injection
Sep 25th, 2016
Someone from Columbia, SC signed.
Sep 25th, 2016
Someone from Greenville, SC signed.
Sep 25th, 2016
Someone from Crestview, FL signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Los Angeles, CA signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Belton, SC signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Fairfield, CA signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Lowell, AR signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Gastonia, NC signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Brusly, LA signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Greenville, SC signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Hilton Head Island, SC signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Greer, SC signed.
Sep 24th, 2016
Someone from Greer, SC signed.
Someone from Greer, SC writes:
People suffer daily from this and doctors lie and do not tell you the actual side effects. I am 29 and I feel like I am 60. I never know if the Lupron caused something or not but a lot of things came up in the couple of years after my treatment
Someone from Smithville, TN writes:
I took LupRon several years ago and have never felt the same and it did not help my endromesosis
Sep 23rd, 2016
Someone from Dundee, NY writes:
I was given lupron to help with pelvic pain and bleeding I had suffered with for over a year. Now I am Stuck dealing with severe back pain female reproductive organs pain headache fatigue and some memory loss. Upon talking to my doctor he thinks I'm crazy and says the medicine with wear off soon hang in there. After asking for a pain killer because I couldn't deal with the pain anymore he told me flat out no no medicines at all. I feel for everyone that is on this situation best of luck to all of you
Sep 22nd, 2016
Someone from Tilton, NH writes:
In 2005 at the age of 28 for a year-and-a-half I was on diagnosed extremely ill and in pain constantly. My first up as could be found I had endometriosis I had after the second left off could be started Lupron for 6 months I had so many of the side effects then. Since then I've always been very forgetful fast forward I found I had adenomyosis on top of endometriosis after the birth of my son in 2000 a partial hysterectomy leaving just my right ovary after 6 years the past year and a half I have become very ill lost a bunch of weight extreme pelvic pain have seen numerous GI doctors nauseous blood in my urine vomiting tremendous pain.. Found I had why are urologists endometriosis on my right ovary and they are suspicious that it may be on other organs on this coming Monday I will be doing my second round of Lupron I'm only doing it for 2 months per doctor's orders. Have never felt so horrible in all my life at the age of 38 I would like to just give up at this point I have every symptom I'm exhausted I'm in pain I'm Moody I have hot flashes I cannot sleep every joint hurts every muscle hurts and more forgetful than ever and before it was really bad I had no clue back when I was 27 years old being on Lupron for 6 months was the same kind of drug do they give for cancer patients I was never told that it wasn't until after my first injection I started reading because I feel like the symptoms were so much more intensified this time. I don't know how doctors can can leave so many of the other side effects have been telling you what it is they make it seem like it's something just normal it's not this drug is terrible I feel like a demon and I feel like my body just hurts I'm tired I never thought that so many other people could experience or be experiencing the same kind of pain and symptoms that I am it is nice to feel not alone but again no one no one should have to feel like this.. if people only could experience what we feel what we go through while taking this truck for a few hours maybe they would get it I was told that 224 weeks my pain would be intense and it should subside I haven't had a uterus since 2010 and I feel like my guts are being ripped out of me I never want to take this crap again my life I'd rather shoot myself in the head. This is serious and people need to take this seriously because I'm sure I am not alone in this feeling I feel defeated this drug defeats people makes you crazy you question your sanity along with your health which is already deteriorating it's just making it worse.
Sep 22nd, 2016
Someone from Washington, MI writes:
I didn't think that what I've taken could've caused a lot of these listed side effects that I currently have.
Sep 20th, 2016
Someone from Nixa, MO writes:
6 months of treatment 20 years ago. Terrible degeneration in back, arthritis in many joints - even jaw, plus debilitating migraines. I'm only 41.
Sep 19th, 2016
Someone from Thornville, OH signed.
Sep 19th, 2016
Someone from Montgomery, AL signed.
Sep 19th, 2016
Someone from Sioux Falls, SD signed.
Sep 18th, 2016
Someone from Ellenburg Depot, NY signed.
Sep 14th, 2016
Someone from Manorville, PA writes:
It was recommended by my gynecologist to start lupron therapy for endometriosis. At my first appointment for injection I questioned the side effects and the nurses laughed at me. I did the injections for 4 out of six months and had to take another hormone to reduce the risk of lupron causing cancer. I had the usual hot flashes and night sweats. At the time my doctor told me I couldn't have anymore children which I thought meant couldn't. Within a month of no injections I was pregnant and my son was born moderately severe autism. This is just the beginning. I have had a pulmonary embolism. Multiple nerve issues including my bladder and symptoms of fibromyalgia. I have constant every day pain and show symptoms of many autoimmune diseases and have been tested for chrones etcetera. Needless to say I am miserable having had migraines, months that I can't move my muscles, cannot control my bladder and my immunoglobulin G and A are constantly low. I am sick almost nonstop with bronchitis, ear infections and multiple virus' and flu's. I have been to many many specialists and have had every test under the sun with no answers. It's a sad day when you get no answers to chronic pain, your clothes hurt you, and it's like you have the stomach flu every day. I am appalled that they still offer this drug after so many years. They offered it to my daughter and I said absolutely not! Only problem is that with all the chronic pain and no answers you also get no relief. It would be nice to see something come from all of this. No one should have to suffer the way I and many others have. It's debilitating.
Sep 14th, 2016
Someone from Manorville, PA writes:
Sep 14th, 2016
Someone from Danbury, CT signed.
Sep 12th, 2016
Someone from Brooklyn, NY writes:
I live in New York and was prescribed Lupron at the end of 2014 (3 months until I absolutely refused further treatment) for adenomyosis (similar to endometriosis but not related). I've since suffered greatly due to arthritic symptoms, exacerbated hypertension, migraine headaches, fainting / falling incidents, development of eczema and the list goes on. This has cost me almost 2 years of my life including being out of work on disability.
Sep 12th, 2016
Someone from Brooklyn, NY writes:
Sep 10th, 2016
Someone from Bolingbrook, IL writes:
I took one dose and I've never been the same. A year later, I'm still trying to get help.
Sep 10th, 2016
Someone from Bolingbrook, IL writes:
Sep 9th, 2016
Someone from San Diego, CA signed.
Sep 9th, 2016
Someone from Mountain Home, ID signed.
Sep 8th, 2016
Someone from Oak Lawn, IL writes:
I took five monthly shots of Lupron and each shot came with migraines, and with each shot the side effects multiplied. I had numerous visits to the Er and 7 months out from the last shot am still in daily pain with a diagnosis of RA. This drug seriously adversely affects your endocrine system and therefore your immune system. Women with endometriosis have compromised immune systems to begin with. In addition the NIH website states there is no evidence that there is any reduction of endometriosis lesions. So the pain and agony endured in the belief that you will be better for having taken this drug is in vain. The doctors prescribing this drug need to be made aware of the long term risks along with their patients
Sep 7th, 2016
Someone from Blackwell, OK writes:
Was given lupron for fibroid in 2002. 6 shots, 1 each month. Have had many problems since. It didn't help my original problem at all. Doctor told me nothing about any side effects. Permanent side effect I have: severe joint and bone pain, feel like my joints, muscles are throbbing all the time. Depression I can't get past, migraines. I am going to specialist tomorrow to check on lung problems. I have been on oxygen for a year now. I've gained over 100 lbs, can't lose any unless I just don't eat. Thyroid problems and hoping for referral to specialist to check other glands. I don't see any better life in sight for myself. Lupron company should not be allowed to sell this drug! I am 63 and feel like I'm in my 90's. Lung are those of 90 yr old.
Sep 6th, 2016
Someone from Crofton, MD writes:
Horrible depression, fatigue & insomnia after 1 shot. Will not go back for another as prescribed.
Sep 6th, 2016
Someone from Fallston, MD signed.
Sep 3rd, 2016
Someone from Arlington, VA writes:
II wish I would have known how awful this drug was before taking it. Side effects have been awful...an endless cycle, nagging headaches that won't go away, hot flashes and night sweats and joint paint.
Sep 3rd, 2016
Someone from Fort Wayne, IN writes:
Im on 8th shot of injection... I realized that I had 2 teeth broken between 3 months... Doctors said that i have to take for a year but now i think i have to cut off the rest...