Investigation into Lupron Side Effects (Leuprolide Acetate)

The purpose of this petition is to warn others regarding the drug Lupron (Leupolide Acetate) mfg. by Takeda/Abbott Pharmaceuticals in the hope that further long-term safety studies are done before it disables or kills more women. This drug was originally marketed to treat prostate cancer patients but now is widely used for the treatment of endometriosis, infertility, fibroids/ovarian cysts and even precocious puberty.

Many women are continuing to suffer the side effects long after taking their last dose even though their doctor and the pharmaceutical company states that the side effects should go away within 3-6 months. Side effects include but are not limited to: hot flashes, memory loss, tachycardia, hematura, hypotension, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, Vitamin D deficiency, constant gnawing bone/joint pain, osteoarthritis, osteopenia, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, autoimmune diseases, blood disorders, cancer and many others including death and yet not one long term study has been conducted.

It is devastating to us that we agreed to take an FDA approved drug under the care of our physician whom we trusted only to find ourselves sicker than you could imagine ---- in pain and unable to get the proper treatment or even believed that Lupron caused our problems.

We hereby request that an investigation be undertaken into the short term and long term effects of Lupron on women. We further request that all outcomes and results of such trials be released and published so that both patients and doctors alike may have the benefit of all the information regarding this drug.

Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Kansas City, MO writes:
I believe this drug has caused all the health problems I have but the most serious was the degeneration of my hips - I had might right hip replaced 6 years ago at age 49 and will have my left hip replaced this fall. My orthopedic surgeon cannot believe someone so young would have to have this done. I started investigating more and remembered I had bone density tests done after the lupin shots --- bingo. Bone loss and degeneration. Wow. Even fell and broke my left arm earlier this Spring - it wasn't that hard of a fall. My husband will poke me with his finger and it feels like it is bruising my skin --- he doesn't realize that although he isn't really poking hard, it hurts to me. Stop this drug.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Torrance, CA signed.
Jul 24th, 2016
Someone from Knoxville, TN writes:
Wish I had never taken 2 injections life has not been the same constant sweats and tired all the time. I discontinued my last 2 injections I will take my chance of the cancer coming back
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Schenectady, NY writes:
Lupron Depot ruined my life with hot flashes and big belly and on night I do not sleep Etc.
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Sioux Falls, SD writes:
I'm on my second lupron shot for endometriosis and its awful. I have horrible bone and joint pain That make Me want to scream, and the doctor won't give me anything besides a muscle relaxer to help but it doesn't help. Every morning in the shower I lose at least 2 handfuls of hair, I've gain 5 lbs in 2 weeks even with a strict diet and excersise. I had all these symptoms with the first shot but the doctor said It would go away. It's only getting worse!! This drug is worse than the disease.
Jul 21st, 2016
Someone from Montclair, NJ writes:
Given Lupron for endometriosis and ovarian cysts in my early 20's.... I've never been the same since. I am dealing with so many debilitating, and increasing, medical issues now and over the course of nearly 2 decades. I can trace it all back to that drug. I have developed many autoimmune disorders, cancer scares, and unexplainable conditions in this time. My life is in shambles and I am now facing the reality that I can also not conceive. The very drug that was supposed to "save" me, has destroyed me and my future.
Jul 21st, 2016
Someone from Lincoln Park, MI signed.
Jul 20th, 2016
Someone from Highland, CA writes:
I was prescribed Lupron injections as an infant for precocious puberty for approximately 1 yr. I have struggled with chronic fatigue, insomnia, and weight gain since adolescence. My physician has recommended that I receive quarterly blood draws to monitor my thyroid as they have suspected hashimotos disease, among other thyroid deficiencies/abnormalities. Each time my results return within or hardly out of normal range. My next step is to see an ENT as my lymph nodes and glands are often inflamed, and painful, without reason. Please investigate the long term effects of this medication as it may help me improve my quality of life.
Jul 18th, 2016
Someone from Elmhurst, IL signed.
Jul 17th, 2016
Someone from Stafford, VA signed.
Jul 16th, 2016
Someone from Carmichael, CA signed.
Jul 15th, 2016
Someone from Grovetown, GA writes:
I received Lupron shots in 2002 due to endometriosis. since receiving this drug I've been diagnosed with high triglycerides, thyroid disease, vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis, degenerative disc disease, I also, have severe headaches and fatigue on a daily basis. Needless to say I'm 41 years old
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Sherman Oaks, CA signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Chesapeake, VA signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Rock Hill, SC signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Nashville, TN writes:
My spouse took Lupron for more than 6 months prior to a partial hysterectomy after having enormous uterine fibroids. Three years later and my former weight lifting, super healthy and happy wife is suffering with joint pain, sleep problems, fatigue, depression, and inexplicable weight gain that will not come off with exercise and consistent dietary adjustments. We are heading to the doctor to have her thyroid gland checked. I am afraid of what we might learn. PLEASE investigate this suspicious drug!
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Dunn, NC writes:
I am a man, 77 years old & highly sensitive to medications. I was given Lupron injections 2005 for prostate cancer & since then I have osteoarthritis,Fibromyalgia symptoms that have worsened & constant bone/joint pain.
Jul 13th, 2016
Someone from Ozone Park, NY writes:
I took lupron for fibroids and severe endometriosis. I now have terrible leg, foot pain and numbness. Also jave hand numbness I truly believe it has effected me terrible. Before the lupron shots I have never had these problems. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, vitamin d and b deficency
Jul 13th, 2016
Someone from Ozone Park, NY writes:
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Midlothian, VA signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Dorton, KY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Jenkins, KY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Mouthcard, KY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Pikeville, KY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Elkton, MD signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Rockford, IL signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Beattyville, KY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Jenkins, KY writes:
I am a 28 year old mother !! I was given the dpi lupron for endometriosis one shot every month for 6 months ..... I had severe hot flashes and mood swings which the dr told me I would have , had I known the other side affects I would not have taken these shots .. Since taking these shots I have gotten a severe rash on the opposite side the shot was given and sever pain in my legs that has increasingly gotten worse !! But no one seems to know what is wrong with me !!! It's very frustrating because I was a very active , hard working woman that is now always in severe pain!!!!
Jul 9th, 2016
Someone from Victorville, CA writes:
I am a 38 year old woman and was given Lupron injections for 6 months. The last one was in April and this is now July. Over the past 4 months I've experienced pain in the bottom of my feet. Now I have joint pain in all my joints. Sometimes it's hard for me to move around. This is a problem for me because I have to work and I have a 4 year old daughter that requires me to be active. Plus I feel like the quality of my life is slowly diminishing. I wish I knew to what extent these side effects would be and better treatment options for endometriosis before I agreed to this drug.
Jul 9th, 2016
Someone from League City, TX writes:
One 4 month shot of poison.. Look into the Chemical make up of this so called drug. Once you find that look up the Material Safety Data Sheet. Then ask yourself is this something you would want injected into any person?
Jul 9th, 2016
Someone from West Bloomfield, MI writes:
I took Lupron for about 5-6 years for precocious puberty. I grew up as a pretty normal kid, until about 3 years ago when I turned 17. I wake up every single day with nausea and abominable pains. I usually have fatigue and dizziness so bad through out the day so bad that I'm scared I'll fall asleep driving. I have joint pains in my hands, knees, and back. I have horrible memory loss (So bad... I had to look down and see what my shirt said about 5 times in just one half hour). The other day at work I felt so awful I had to go to the ER, because I couldn't ignore it anymore! My blood tests all came back negative and the doctors told me I was fine and that its "stress" causing this. You guys.... there is no way it's stress.
Jul 9th, 2016
Someone from Brooklyn, NY signed.
Jul 8th, 2016
Someone from Sudbury, MA signed.
Jul 8th, 2016
Someone from Buffalo, NY writes:
I was given lupron for heavy bleeding due to fibroids. I was given one injection in my right buttocks. I notice I started having hip pain. Now I have on a regular bases pain in all my joints. Especially my knees. And its pain in my shoulders. I use to have no problem s doing yard work, knitting or carrying bags of groceries or buckets of water .But I do those things now , I won't be able to lift my shoulders the next day because they ache so bad .Including my hands and wrists
Jul 6th, 2016
Someone from Palm Coast, FL signed.
Jul 5th, 2016
Someone from Ypsilanti, MI signed.
Jul 1st, 2016
Someone from Portland, OR writes:
Lupron injections made me so ill, comparable to the way my mother described feeling after chemo. I now live with the long term effects, no one should have to ever go through what so many of us have after Lupron.
Jul 1st, 2016
Someone from Fort Worth, TX signed.
Jun 30th, 2016
Someone from Clayton, NC signed.