Investigation into Lupron Side Effects (Leuprolide Acetate)

The purpose of this petition is to warn others regarding the drug Lupron (Leupolide Acetate) mfg. by Takeda/Abbott Pharmaceuticals in the hope that further long-term safety studies are done before it disables or kills more women. This drug was originally marketed to treat prostate cancer patients but now is widely used for the treatment of endometriosis, infertility, fibroids/ovarian cysts and even precocious puberty.

Many women are continuing to suffer the side effects long after taking their last dose even though their doctor and the pharmaceutical company states that the side effects should go away within 3-6 months. Side effects include but are not limited to: hot flashes, memory loss, tachycardia, hematura, hypotension, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, Vitamin D deficiency, constant gnawing bone/joint pain, osteoarthritis, osteopenia, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, autoimmune diseases, blood disorders, cancer and many others including death and yet not one long term study has been conducted.

It is devastating to us that we agreed to take an FDA approved drug under the care of our physician whom we trusted only to find ourselves sicker than you could imagine ---- in pain and unable to get the proper treatment or even believed that Lupron caused our problems.

We hereby request that an investigation be undertaken into the short term and long term effects of Lupron on women. We further request that all outcomes and results of such trials be released and published so that both patients and doctors alike may have the benefit of all the information regarding this drug.

Aug 17th, 2016
Someone from Muskegon, MI signed.
Aug 17th, 2016
Someone from Muskegon, MI signed.
Aug 17th, 2016
Someone from Franklin, VA signed.
Aug 17th, 2016
Someone from Owosso, MI signed.
Aug 16th, 2016
Someone from Panama City, FL writes:
I'm currently taking this medication and never got proper information about it. It was pawned off like a birth control that just puts you in menopause as a pre-diagnosis for endometriosis. I just got my third 3-month round shot and all the suffering I'm going through, I can tell what is from what. It may be an appropriate drug to assist with endo, but we should be better informed and given specific side effects we would need to come back to the doctor for. Very frustrating, as if I'm not suffering enough with endo.
Aug 15th, 2016
Someone from Miami, FL writes:
Terrible side effects. I am still having side effects from lupron shot after 6 months of taking lupron shots terrible!!!!!
Aug 12th, 2016
Someone from Tampa, FL signed.
Aug 10th, 2016
Someone from Fort Scott, KS writes:
The price was out of this world to begin with. The shot did nothing as I still had to have a full hysterectomy when i was 32 years old. Now I have lupus, fibro, memory loss, no energy, joint paint, hot flashes, depressed....Nothing like my old self. I have three young boys to raise and this is not how I ever pictured doing it.
Aug 10th, 2016
Someone from Hephzibah, GA signed.
Aug 10th, 2016
Someone from Watertown, WI writes:
This drug has increased my pain, not only in my pelvic but my back, hips, legs. I'm constantly tired, feel overwhelmed and am not myself.
Aug 9th, 2016
Someone from Tylertown, MS writes:
I feel horrible all the time. My bones and joint hurting constantly. My memory i can't deal anymore. I need help after taking 6 months of this shot
Aug 8th, 2016
Someone from Apple Valley, CA writes:
I have many of those diagnosis'. Some diagnosis' came a few months after the injection and others years later. Not only am I still suffering, my two children were likely effected with medical conditions
Aug 8th, 2016
Someone from Apple Valley, CA signed.
Aug 7th, 2016
Someone from East Orange, NJ writes:
I can't begin to tell you how miserable I have been since taking Lupron. If the extreme hot flashes, weight gain and stomach cramps were not bad enough, the degenerative disk disease is really messing me up. Who would have imagined that I would be needing a cane? I literally can barely walk. When will this end?
Aug 7th, 2016
Someone from Gibsonia, PA signed.
Aug 6th, 2016
Someone from Wrentham, MA writes:
My daughter was given lupron for precocious puberty from age 7 to age 11. At age 13 her hip fell apart. At age 17 she had a total hip replacement. She is now 26 and experiencing SIGNIFICANT problems - a prolapsed bladder, a skin rash that will not go away, generalized pain throughout her body. We were not told Lupron would cause these horrible problems. Please investigate and save other kids!
Aug 6th, 2016
Someone from Moreno Valley, CA writes:
As a veteran who has served his country I have developed a close bond with my fellow vets. And this issue is something that has touched a fellow veteran in my life who has endometriosis so I am signing in support of a comrade who has gone through much pain and suffering with regards to this petition and the case it presents.
Aug 6th, 2016
Someone from Huntsville, AL writes:
I have terrible back pain, debilitating memory loss, anxiety, Vitamin D deficiency, I have mitro valve prolapse, major weight gain & swelling (mostly in my legs) and the list goes on. The endometriosis was so bad, that I was willing to do just about anything to get some relief. My doctor said, after a 21/2 hour surgery, that I had a really poor existence, but was I in for a rude awakening. THIS was not the answer. I was never told how bad the side effects would be, while taking the Lupron shots. My doctor had no clue! I was told that Lupron was THE solution. I trusted my doctor. If it hadn't been for a temp that was working for my company, at the time, I probably would have literally had a heart attack from the mere side effects. This drug should not be available to anyone! It's way, too dangerous!!
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Houston, TX signed.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Miami, FL signed.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Neenah, WI writes:
I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, low vitamin D,lost my thyroid in two different surgeries, I constantly have low white blood cell counts, insomnia , and I have issues with my thyroid replacement medication due to extremely low TSH levels so I suspect my pituitary gland doesn't work properly either. It is very hard to get a doctor to listen to me and treat my issues. So I continue to live a miserable life.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Hudson Falls, NY writes:
I had these injections in 1993-1995 and I have since had disc disease in my neck and had to have a disc replaced as well as other issues that very well could be attributed to this drug.
Aug 4th, 2016
Someone from Huntsville, AL signed.
Aug 4th, 2016
Someone from Daytona Beach, FL signed.
Aug 2nd, 2016
Someone from Delavan, WI writes:
I was given this for precocious puberty at age 9 for almost 2 years. Since then I have had symptoms that baffle doctors and diagnoses that don't make sense for someone my age. Including, Bone issues. Degenerative Disc Diease, endomitriosis, infertility including heavy painful periods. I'm 25 years old. I believe the FDA was aware of the side effects but swept it under the rug! This needs to be investigated and the people who have suffered like myself deserve justice for the pain suffered every day of our lives!
Aug 1st, 2016
Someone from Venice, FL writes:
My doctor in the Pacific Northwest prescribed injections of Lupron 15 years ago to shrink my uterine fibroids for an easier surgery. I completely believe this drug is evil and responsible for many "mysteriously premature" maladies experienced by women who have been prescribed it.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Brighton, MI signed.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Verdunville, WV signed.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Vandalia, IL signed.
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Norfolk, VA writes:
Why take the chance in hurting someone who is already in pain?
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Ford City, PA writes:
I've commented before.But can someone please answer my question? How many lives, including mine have to be ruined before this drug is taken off the market? When it was discovered that they lied about doing long term testing,this drug should have been pull immediately.How many signatures do we need to get results? Is it possible physicians are still getting kickbacks? I have strong suspicion of this.I feel helpless like all of you.we should at least be compensated for all the destruction this drug has caused. I'd rather have my health back and all that I lost back,but thats not happeninh. So we at the very least we deserve justice.
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Ford City, PA writes:
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from West Bloomfield, MI writes:
My first dose of Lupron was 16 years ago, when I was 32, to put me in menopause so that my fibroids shrink to make surgery easier for the doctors. I think I was given 3 or 4 doses, and have suffered from insomnia, anxiety, depression, weakness, brain fog, and joint and muscle pain since. I was also diagnosed with ITP soon after. I have never thought about the medication since, it was terrible at the time and took me years to become somewhat normal again. Recently I was told that a family member was put on it for a hysterectomy and what bad side effects they had and it reminded that I had been given that too. So I have been reading and researching this drug and come to realize that this drug is what changed me and my life. It explains so much of what I have experienced and am experiencing now. It is a daily struggle. It takes so much effort to get through the days feeling extremely tired, weak and in pain. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would have found another way without this medication that has affected my life everyday since. The second time I was given this drug was when I was having infertility problems 7 years later, we did 4 rounds of IVF. So that would be 4 more doses. I am afraid to know what my future has in store with all this poison that was put in my body.
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from Coatesville, PA signed.
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Richmond, VA writes:
Lupron has destroyed my life. The person I was before Lupron -confident and smart- is dead. I now battle with depression. My memory is bad. My high IQ has dropped. It's almost a year later ant I'm still having joint pain. I've become active hoping to stop the pain and help with depression. Hot flashes since day one. I can't find employment because I'm to dumb to pass the required testing. I was a nurse and now I can't even get a cashier job because of my inability to comprehend simple things. I could go on and on!
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Charleroi, PA writes:
Lupron has made my life miserable if the doctor would have explained the side effects to me i would never have made the choice to receive the injection and chosen a different path of treatment for my prostate cancer
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA writes:
This drug caused me to have a near fatal brain hemorrhage .....bad drug
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA signed.