Investigation into Lupron Side Effects (Leuprolide Acetate)

The purpose of this petition is to warn others regarding the drug Lupron (Leupolide Acetate) mfg. by Takeda/Abbott Pharmaceuticals in the hope that further long-term safety studies are done before it disables or kills more women. This drug was originally marketed to treat prostate cancer patients but now is widely used for the treatment of endometriosis, infertility, fibroids/ovarian cysts and even precocious puberty.

Many women are continuing to suffer the side effects long after taking their last dose even though their doctor and the pharmaceutical company states that the side effects should go away within 3-6 months. Side effects include but are not limited to: hot flashes, memory loss, tachycardia, hematura, hypotension, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, depression, Vitamin D deficiency, constant gnawing bone/joint pain, osteoarthritis, osteopenia, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, autoimmune diseases, blood disorders, cancer and many others including death and yet not one long term study has been conducted.

It is devastating to us that we agreed to take an FDA approved drug under the care of our physician whom we trusted only to find ourselves sicker than you could imagine ---- in pain and unable to get the proper treatment or even believed that Lupron caused our problems.

We hereby request that an investigation be undertaken into the short term and long term effects of Lupron on women. We further request that all outcomes and results of such trials be released and published so that both patients and doctors alike may have the benefit of all the information regarding this drug.

Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Neenah, WI writes:
I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, low vitamin D,lost my thyroid in two different surgeries, I constantly have low white blood cell counts, insomnia , and I have issues with my thyroid replacement medication due to extremely low TSH levels so I suspect my pituitary gland doesn't work properly either. It is very hard to get a doctor to listen to me and treat my issues. So I continue to live a miserable life.
Aug 5th, 2016
Someone from Hudson Falls, NY writes:
I had these injections in 1993-1995 and I have since had disc disease in my neck and had to have a disc replaced as well as other issues that very well could be attributed to this drug.
Aug 4th, 2016
Someone from Huntsville, AL signed.
Aug 4th, 2016
Someone from Daytona Beach, FL signed.
Aug 2nd, 2016
Someone from Delavan, WI writes:
I was given this for precocious puberty at age 9 for almost 2 years. Since then I have had symptoms that baffle doctors and diagnoses that don't make sense for someone my age. Including, Bone issues. Degenerative Disc Diease, endomitriosis, infertility including heavy painful periods. I'm 25 years old. I believe the FDA was aware of the side effects but swept it under the rug! This needs to be investigated and the people who have suffered like myself deserve justice for the pain suffered every day of our lives!
Aug 1st, 2016
Someone from Venice, FL writes:
My doctor in the Pacific Northwest prescribed injections of Lupron 15 years ago to shrink my uterine fibroids for an easier surgery. I completely believe this drug is evil and responsible for many "mysteriously premature" maladies experienced by women who have been prescribed it.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Brighton, MI signed.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Verdunville, WV signed.
Jul 31st, 2016
Someone from Vandalia, IL signed.
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Norfolk, VA writes:
Why take the chance in hurting someone who is already in pain?
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Ford City, PA writes:
I've commented before.But can someone please answer my question? How many lives, including mine have to be ruined before this drug is taken off the market? When it was discovered that they lied about doing long term testing,this drug should have been pull immediately.How many signatures do we need to get results? Is it possible physicians are still getting kickbacks? I have strong suspicion of this.I feel helpless like all of you.we should at least be compensated for all the destruction this drug has caused. I'd rather have my health back and all that I lost back,but thats not happeninh. So we at the very least we deserve justice.
Jul 29th, 2016
Someone from Ford City, PA writes:
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from West Bloomfield, MI writes:
My first dose of Lupron was 16 years ago, when I was 32, to put me in menopause so that my fibroids shrink to make surgery easier for the doctors. I think I was given 3 or 4 doses, and have suffered from insomnia, anxiety, depression, weakness, brain fog, and joint and muscle pain since. I was also diagnosed with ITP soon after. I have never thought about the medication since, it was terrible at the time and took me years to become somewhat normal again. Recently I was told that a family member was put on it for a hysterectomy and what bad side effects they had and it reminded that I had been given that too. So I have been reading and researching this drug and come to realize that this drug is what changed me and my life. It explains so much of what I have experienced and am experiencing now. It is a daily struggle. It takes so much effort to get through the days feeling extremely tired, weak and in pain. I wish I knew then what I know now, I would have found another way without this medication that has affected my life everyday since. The second time I was given this drug was when I was having infertility problems 7 years later, we did 4 rounds of IVF. So that would be 4 more doses. I am afraid to know what my future has in store with all this poison that was put in my body.
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
Jul 28th, 2016
Someone from Coatesville, PA signed.
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Richmond, VA writes:
Lupron has destroyed my life. The person I was before Lupron -confident and smart- is dead. I now battle with depression. My memory is bad. My high IQ has dropped. It's almost a year later ant I'm still having joint pain. I've become active hoping to stop the pain and help with depression. Hot flashes since day one. I can't find employment because I'm to dumb to pass the required testing. I was a nurse and now I can't even get a cashier job because of my inability to comprehend simple things. I could go on and on!
Jul 27th, 2016
Someone from Charleroi, PA writes:
Lupron has made my life miserable if the doctor would have explained the side effects to me i would never have made the choice to receive the injection and chosen a different path of treatment for my prostate cancer
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA writes:
This drug caused me to have a near fatal brain hemorrhage .....bad drug
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Thomaston, GA signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Kansas City, MO writes:
I believe this drug has caused all the health problems I have but the most serious was the degeneration of my hips - I had might right hip replaced 6 years ago at age 49 and will have my left hip replaced this fall. My orthopedic surgeon cannot believe someone so young would have to have this done. I started investigating more and remembered I had bone density tests done after the lupin shots --- bingo. Bone loss and degeneration. Wow. Even fell and broke my left arm earlier this Spring - it wasn't that hard of a fall. My husband will poke me with his finger and it feels like it is bruising my skin --- he doesn't realize that although he isn't really poking hard, it hurts to me. Stop this drug.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Torrance, CA signed.
Jul 24th, 2016
Someone from Knoxville, TN writes:
Wish I had never taken 2 injections life has not been the same constant sweats and tired all the time. I discontinued my last 2 injections I will take my chance of the cancer coming back
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Schenectady, NY writes:
Lupron Depot ruined my life with hot flashes and big belly and on night I do not sleep Etc.
Jul 22nd, 2016
Someone from Sioux Falls, SD writes:
I'm on my second lupron shot for endometriosis and its awful. I have horrible bone and joint pain That make Me want to scream, and the doctor won't give me anything besides a muscle relaxer to help but it doesn't help. Every morning in the shower I lose at least 2 handfuls of hair, I've gain 5 lbs in 2 weeks even with a strict diet and excersise. I had all these symptoms with the first shot but the doctor said It would go away. It's only getting worse!! This drug is worse than the disease.
Jul 21st, 2016
Someone from Montclair, NJ writes:
Given Lupron for endometriosis and ovarian cysts in my early 20's.... I've never been the same since. I am dealing with so many debilitating, and increasing, medical issues now and over the course of nearly 2 decades. I can trace it all back to that drug. I have developed many autoimmune disorders, cancer scares, and unexplainable conditions in this time. My life is in shambles and I am now facing the reality that I can also not conceive. The very drug that was supposed to "save" me, has destroyed me and my future.
Jul 21st, 2016
Someone from Lincoln Park, MI signed.
Jul 20th, 2016
Someone from Highland, CA writes:
I was prescribed Lupron injections as an infant for precocious puberty for approximately 1 yr. I have struggled with chronic fatigue, insomnia, and weight gain since adolescence. My physician has recommended that I receive quarterly blood draws to monitor my thyroid as they have suspected hashimotos disease, among other thyroid deficiencies/abnormalities. Each time my results return within or hardly out of normal range. My next step is to see an ENT as my lymph nodes and glands are often inflamed, and painful, without reason. Please investigate the long term effects of this medication as it may help me improve my quality of life.
Jul 18th, 2016
Someone from Elmhurst, IL signed.
Jul 17th, 2016
Someone from Stafford, VA signed.
Jul 16th, 2016
Someone from Carmichael, CA signed.
Jul 15th, 2016
Someone from Grovetown, GA writes:
I received Lupron shots in 2002 due to endometriosis. since receiving this drug I've been diagnosed with high triglycerides, thyroid disease, vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis, degenerative disc disease, I also, have severe headaches and fatigue on a daily basis. Needless to say I'm 41 years old
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Sherman Oaks, CA signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Chesapeake, VA signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Rock Hill, SC signed.
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Nashville, TN writes:
My spouse took Lupron for more than 6 months prior to a partial hysterectomy after having enormous uterine fibroids. Three years later and my former weight lifting, super healthy and happy wife is suffering with joint pain, sleep problems, fatigue, depression, and inexplicable weight gain that will not come off with exercise and consistent dietary adjustments. We are heading to the doctor to have her thyroid gland checked. I am afraid of what we might learn. PLEASE investigate this suspicious drug!
Jul 14th, 2016
Someone from Dunn, NC writes:
I am a man, 77 years old & highly sensitive to medications. I was given Lupron injections 2005 for prostate cancer & since then I have osteoarthritis,Fibromyalgia symptoms that have worsened & constant bone/joint pain.
Jul 13th, 2016
Someone from Ozone Park, NY writes:
I took lupron for fibroids and severe endometriosis. I now have terrible leg, foot pain and numbness. Also jave hand numbness I truly believe it has effected me terrible. Before the lupron shots I have never had these problems. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, vitamin d and b deficency
Jul 13th, 2016