Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
1 day ago
Someone from San Marcos, CA signed.
1 day ago
Pamela B. from San Marcos, CA signed.
Apr 21st, 2017
Someone from Wisconsin Rapids, WI signed.
Apr 18th, 2017
Donna G. from Johnson City, TN signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Elizabeth J. from Opelousas, LA signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Melissa D. from Jacksonville, NC signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Mary K. from New York, NY signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Emily D. from Jacksonville, FL signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Heidi R. from Apo, AE signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Gloria B. from San Antonio, TX signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Gloria B. from San Antonio, TX signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Maria C. from Greensburg, PA signed.
Apr 17th, 2017
Rachel T. from Tallahassee, FL writes:
Mother of Hope Adele Tribble, 3/10/2013-4/25/2013
Apr 17th, 2017
Emily G. from Falls Church, VA signed.
Apr 14th, 2017
Someone from Etters, PA signed.
Apr 12th, 2017
Karla H. from Union Grove, WI signed.
Mar 30th, 2017
Doreen T. from Fort Worth, TX signed.
Mar 29th, 2017
Claire S. from Flagstaff, AZ signed.
Mar 28th, 2017
Someone from Alum Bank, PA writes:
Frankly I don't understand why this is even a question. Grieving the loss of a child isn't unbearable.
Mar 28th, 2017
Carrie C. from Crowley, TX writes:
As a mother who has experienced the death of my 2 1/2 year old son, I feel this needs to be covered. It was horrible watching my husband have to go back to work so soon after his death. No parent should have to fear for their job while mourning their greatest loss.
Mar 28th, 2017
Jenny D. from College Park, MD writes:
This is critically important. Loss of a child needs as much recognition as children joining families through birth or adoption.
Mar 28th, 2017
Summer P. from College Park, MD writes:
I used FMLA for the birth of two children who were delivered via c-sections. There was a long period of recovery as well as getting used to a newborn nursing baby. Not much sleep. And then my youngest child died. Again, a long road toward recovery. Not much sleep. Counseling. Tears. Depression. I'm nine months out from the death of my daughter, I'm 13 months out from having delivered her. The months immediately following her birth and her death are a bit of a blur. I was thankful for FMLA when I delivered her. I would have been very thankful for FMLA when she died. I support Parental Bereavement Leave. I encourage others to do the same.
Mar 28th, 2017
Rikki S. from Phoenix, AZ signed.
Mar 27th, 2017
Don B. from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
It's unfortunate that we sometimes have to mandate compassion into our laws, we are all very fortunate to have the Barry Kluger's in our society to get it done for us. Thank you Barry.
Mar 26th, 2017
Harry A. from Prior Lake, MN signed.
Mar 26th, 2017
Barbara M. from Bellingham, WA signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Someone from Paradise Valley, AZ signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Vicki T. from Southampton, NY signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Michael D. from Briarcliff Manor, NY signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Jonathan D. from Saint Simons Island, GA signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Someone from Saint Johns, FL signed.
Someone from San Gabriel, CA writes:
The final destination of our lives is the same - when one reaches that destination there is grief and sadness for the family left - bereavement is a normal emotion at this time. It's natural that a parent reaches that destination before their child - when the child reaches that destination before the parent it's not natural therefore the bereavement is greater. The benefits provided should be greater.
Mar 25th, 2017
Someone from Verona, NJ signed.
Paula H. from Gladewater, TX writes:
I lost a daughter in 2008 and a son in 2012 - My employer's policy allows 3 days for bereavement. I could not even arrange a funeral - let alone grieve my children in 3 days time. This change to the FMLA is crucial for grieving parents!
Carol B. from Fort Lauderdale, FL writes:
Why compound the tragedy of these bereaved parents. Give them a break that they do deserve!!!!
Mar 25th, 2017
Eric H. from Larchmont, NY signed.
susan g. from Greenwich, CT writes:
So important!!!!
Mar 25th, 2017
Emily W. from Ann Arbor, MI signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Carol S. from Saint Augustine, FL signed.
Mar 25th, 2017
Carol S. from Saint Augustine, FL signed.