Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
2 days ago
Someone from Sanford, NC writes:
I’m very impressed with your company after diving into your website - it looks like a great place to work! Quick question… This week, as part of our “Employee Appreciation Bonanza,” I have 15 big snack boxes filled with 15 delicious better-for-you snacks to give to cool companies, and yours really stands out. Do you know who is in charge of snacks at your office? Would you mind forwarding this message please? Here are more details: http://snacksfortheoffice.store/snackbox I really appreciate your help. Thank you! - Melissa Office Snacks “Helping companies increase employee health, happiness, and productivity with America’s most delicious snacks" 500 Westover Dr #12733 Sanford, NC 27330 If you received this commercial message by mistake, my apologies. To prevent any future messages please visit: http://snacksfortheoffice.store/out.php?site=petition2congress.com
Jul 13th, 2018
Someone from Pearland, TX writes:
We help Individuals and Business Owners end IRS problems, and reduce their taxes by 67% or more! Last month, we helped one of our clients reduce their taxes with a little known Tax Debt Relief Program the IRS hopes you never hear about… We settled a $47,813 IRS Tax Debt for only $532! My objective is to make sure you know exactly what’s going on with your money, and I’d love to share some unique ideas and strategies on what’s been working If it makes sense, I’d like to give you a copy of our New 2018 Special Report: “7 Secrets The IRS Hopes You Never Hear About” Go Here and GET YOUR COPY NOW http://taxtips.tax/7-secrets?=petition2congress.com To A Brighter Tax Future, Taylor Allen Tax Advisor Fox Tax 11200 Broadway Street, Suite 2743 Pearland, TX 77584 Don't want any more commercial messages like this? Stop future messages here: http://taxtips.tax/out.php/?site=petition2congress.com
Jul 10th, 2018
Someone from Sanford, NC writes:
Hello, I recently went to your website and wanted to comment on how nice it looks. We work with businesses to help them get results with Facebook ads by using the Lead Accelerator. This new report shares the reason why so many businesses fail with Facebook ads, and how you can succeed: http://advertzing.com/ We call it the Lead Accelerator. If you check out our free report, I would love to hear what you think. Thank you, Sydney Harris Customer Success Manager Advertzing 500 Westover Dr #12733 Sanford, NC 27330 If you received this commercial message by mistake, I apologize. To prevent any future correspondence please visit: http://optinprivacy.xyz/out.php?site=petition2congress.com
May 3rd, 2018
Someone from King Of Prussia, PA writes:
Greetings, after seeing your website I wanted to let you know that we work with companies similar to yours to publish a custom made marketing & promotional video, featuring your company online. The short video below shows you exactly what this custom made video can do for your business: To watch the video please visit http://www.7keysvideo.com/?=petition2congress.com Thank you. Best, -Susan Williams Your Spokes Video 860 First avenue King of Prussia PA, 19406 To stop any future messages from us: http://optin-privacy.com/?site=petition2congress.com
Feb 19th, 2018
Jonathan D. from Saint Simons Island, GA writes:
Signed
Dec 29th, 2017
Susan P. from Eatontown, NJ signed.
Dec 28th, 2017
Gregory H. from Saint Charles, IL signed.
Dec 21st, 2017
SHARON C. from Columbus, OH writes:
My position deal with desperate individuals seeking food assistance. I came back to work one week after I had my son's funeral. He was killed by a bullet while sleeping on the couch of his home. There was no time to say goodbye, it was sudden and unexpected. I had no time to grieve, because I had to get all the funeral arrangements done and etc... So while on the job, I must work with desperate individuals while starting to grieve and finally deal with the shock. The FMLA is a wonderful avenue but it must be amended to include more time for parents to deal with the loss of a child.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Mounika N. from Falls Church, VA signed.
Dec 7th, 2017
Someone from Eugene, OR writes:
thank god I was close to retire . I would not have been able to work. My daughter died of cancer after a few months fighting all while my husband was dying from Alzheimer's. There was no way I can keep my mind straight on anything. No support.
Nov 27th, 2017
Arlene F. from Hudson, MA signed.
Nov 15th, 2017
Someone from Alpharetta, GA signed.
Nov 9th, 2017
Brandon S. from Emporia, KS signed.
Nov 3rd, 2017
Todd K. from Mandan, ND signed.
Oct 30th, 2017
Laurie M. from Masury, OH signed.
Oct 25th, 2017
Lisa H. from Los Banos, CA writes:
The loss of my 28 yr old Dtr after a 2.5 yr chronic illness was one of the hardest things I had to face. I had to return to work the Monday after her funeral. Just like her child birth it would have. Edna great to have time off.
Oct 22nd, 2017
Dawn S. from Palm Coast, FL signed.
Oct 22nd, 2017
Someone from Vero Beach, FL signed.
Oct 18th, 2017
Someone from Osseo, MN signed.
Oct 16th, 2017
Diane M. from La Porte City, IA writes:
Consider this fact: The death of a child affects both Democrats and Republicans. Families need longer than 3 days to grieve.
Oct 8th, 2017
Dawn G. from Mendon, IL signed.
Oct 6th, 2017
Someone from Swansea, MA signed.
Sep 30th, 2017
DIA R. from Minneapolis, MN signed.
Sep 29th, 2017
Robert S. from Stoughton, MA signed.
Sep 28th, 2017
Miracle L. from Honey Grove, TX writes:
In honor of Draven Xavier Dennis, our only child, whom we lost on June 14th 2017. His father was fired for missing work to go with me to pick up his ashes.
Sep 28th, 2017
Anne O. from Portland, OR writes:
Please consider amending this bill to include spouses/partners. Few in the workplace understand the emotionally traumatized condition in which parents and spouses/partners find themselves after a death, most especially when it is sudden. My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly of cardiac arrest. I was already retired when he died but certainly would have needed more than standard bereavement leave to deal with the emotional trauma of his sudden demise.
Sep 27th, 2017
Patricia R. from Fishkill, NY signed.
Sep 11th, 2017
Alan H. from Aston, PA writes:
The loss of a child is a trauma which can shake a parent to their core. I don't profess to empathize with all bereaved parents, as I believe sudden death is different from death by a prolonged disease in the way it affects the parents. That is, parents who have "benefit" of anticipatory grief can at least negotiate through the immediate loss a little differently. Nonetheless, the loss of a child is life altering to a parent.
Sep 11th, 2017
Miranda T. from Glendale, AZ signed.
Sep 8th, 2017
Jennifer L. from Saint Petersburg, FL signed.
Sep 4th, 2017
Someone from North Las Vegas, NV signed.
Aug 24th, 2017
Julie M. from Lovettsville, VA signed.
Aug 17th, 2017
Resa R. from Montgomery, AL writes:
I ran upon this petition and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is here. I lost my 17 yr old daughter to murder in Dec 2010. I returned to my job as Auditor GS-11 a month later. My boss basically thought I should get back at it. I went through allot of unfair treatment for several years before he retired, to include being overlooked for a promotion that I clearly deserved based on my accomplishments for this office. However, he kicked me when I was down. He told me that I should be getting better with my grief mid-way through 2012. He said that he felt that 2011 should have been my worst year. Of course I was hurt and angered by his assumptions, treatment, and lack of empathy. I do not expect anyone to fully understand my grief if they have not experienced it themselves, but I do expect others to try to give me the respect that I feel so many of us don't get as employees in the federal government. I pray that your bill will pass and more importantly, I pray that it will also raise awareness that supervisors may need much more training in sensitivity in matters such as this. I am still suffering the consequences of what he did to me. VERY LONG STORY and have proof of it, but the union is all the help a Title 32 fed tech has, and that pretty much means we have nothing.
Aug 16th, 2017
Someone from Englewood, CO signed.
Aug 15th, 2017
BETTE K. from Irwin, PA signed.
Aug 12th, 2017
Someone from Barrow, AK signed.