Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child. It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2019 (HR 983) in the House and (S.559) in the Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits. I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process. The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
May 21st, 2019
Someone from Clinton township, MI writes:
Yes change is needed. I lost my 23 yr old son an the only reason I got extended leave was coincidently due preschduled surgery an a caring doctor who covered me. Pretty bad that was the "angle" I had to play to protect my 28 year career
Apr 25th, 2019
carol v. from Pierson, MI signed.
Apr 24th, 2019
Dyllon P. from Tempe, AZ signed.
Apr 24th, 2019
Dyllon P. from Tempe, AZ signed.
Apr 15th, 2019
Deborah S. from Fernley, NV writes:
While I was blessed to be able to take a month off and could have had much more under FMLA after my forever 16 year old daughter passed I know many other parents are only given 3-5 days...believe me in no way is this enough...a parent has not even come out of shock by then....please consider signing this petition.
Apr 13th, 2019
Tracy B. from Boiling Springs, SC writes:
When MY Son passed away My Dr put me out of work for 2 weeks ,he passed in 2012 , this is a pain i can't describe !!! On the day of his passing if i have any vacation days left ( i have a daughter who is disabled from a Massive Stroke this happened in May of 2012 and My Son Passed in September of 2012 so i have Flma Only on her and my Grandchildren ) I don't think it's fair for people whom have lost a child to have to work on the day there child passed away . If i don't have any vacation days left then i have to take a point at work . I took a point in MY Heart when i had to watch them lower my Son in the Ground !!!
Apr 11th, 2019
Kara Y. from San Marcos, TX writes:
When we lost our 14 year old they only gave my husband 3 days off on top of the 2 days he normally had off.
Apr 9th, 2019
Cindy B. from Freehold, NJ writes:
I am a mother who was employed full time when my son was killed in a car accident. I had the ability to take sick leave and with vacarion took 3 months off. I believe others should be afforded that time to mourn if they desire. Grief of a child is the most traumatic of all losses.
Apr 9th, 2019
Cindy B. from Freehold, NJ writes:
Apr 9th, 2019
Jackie P. from Nacogdoches, TX writes:
From a mother who has lost a child! It is an incomparable loss! I wear these ugly shoes daily! It is a long lonely journey!
Apr 9th, 2019
Nicole G. from Bay City, TX writes:
I lost my 17 yr old son to suicide 6 months ago and its still hard to stay focused some days. The loss is devastating and grieving cant be rushed... shouldn't be. It's not healthy to not have the time need to get yourself together after such a great loss.
Mar 12th, 2019
Someone from Salem, AL signed.
Mar 12th, 2019
Someone from Ben Lomond, CA writes:
This is truly a must!
Mar 8th, 2019
Tammy C. from Panama City, FL writes:
I lost a son at child birth. I promise you that you do not get over it.
Mar 8th, 2019
Someone from Mount Joy, PA signed.
Mar 8th, 2019
Shannon S. from Clayton, NC signed.
Mar 8th, 2019
Shannon S. from Clayton, NC signed.
Mar 2nd, 2019
Someone from Simi Valley, CA signed.
Feb 27th, 2019
Someone from O Fallon, MO signed.
Feb 27th, 2019
Someone from O Fallon, MO signed.
Feb 25th, 2019
Dana Y. from Belleville, IL writes:
I lost my 21 year old son, my only child to cancer. There is not a word to describe the devastation. Signed Mark's mom forever
Feb 24th, 2019
Robin D. from Bainbridge, GA writes:
There is nothing worse than losing part of your soul when your child passes over.....My son Lyle....Forever 20
Feb 23rd, 2019
Beth H. from Simi Valley, CA signed.
Feb 23rd, 2019
Breanne H. from Orange, CA writes:
Signed!
Feb 23rd, 2019
Breanne H. from Orange, CA writes:
Signed!
Feb 23rd, 2019
Matt K. from Newton, MA signed.
Feb 23rd, 2019
Matt K. from Newton, MA signed.
Feb 22nd, 2019
Dawn R. from Roanoke, VA writes:
This is needed!!
Feb 16th, 2019
Cynthia G. from Tucson, AZ signed.
Feb 15th, 2019
Sheryl A. from New Albany, OH writes:
This is so important!
Feb 14th, 2019
Someone from Seekonk, MA signed.
Feb 14th, 2019
Someone from Seekonk, MA signed.
Feb 14th, 2019
Lora S. from Indianapolis, IN signed.
Feb 14th, 2019
Someone from Janesville, WI writes:
We need to support this. 6 weeks when a child is born and 3 days when that child dies.
Feb 14th, 2019
Kimber I. from Inwood, WV signed.
Feb 14th, 2019
Kimber I. from Inwood, WV signed.
Feb 14th, 2019
Crystal A. from West Monroe, LA writes:
I know from experience how it is important forParent bereavement Act. Please pass this!
Feb 14th, 2019