Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child. It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2019 (HR 983) in the House and (S.559) in the Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits. I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process. The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Feb 14th, 2019
Deb H. from Conowingo, MD writes:
I am so thankful that this Petition is happening and Legislation is hopefully being changed. My 13 y/o daughter was killed by a drunk driver in 2003 and I still grieve her loss today. NO amount of time is enough but at least this is a start. I am blessed to have the friends and employer that I do that have helped me over the years. Returning to work was very difficult for me because I work with children. My employer was requesting me to return after two weeks and I knew I was not ready. I pray no other bereaved parent would be placed in that situation.
Feb 14th, 2019
Karen P. from Mason, OH writes:
As a bereaved parent I was lucky to have a compassionate boss qho allowed me the time I needed but I know parents who have lost their jobs because 3 days was just not enough. We need to do better.
Feb 14th, 2019
Denise S. from Plano, TX writes:
Please support and pass this bill for grieving families who are faced with unbearable loss.
Feb 14th, 2019
Denise S. from Plano, TX writes:
Feb 14th, 2019
Denise S. from Plano, TX writes:
Feb 14th, 2019
Denise S. from Plano, TX writes:
Feb 14th, 2019
Denise S. from Plano, TX writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Please support this bill. I pray none of you will ever have to endure losing your child. Thank you in advance for supporting this bill
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Kate M. from Glendive, MT writes:
Feb 13th, 2019
Jennifer B. from West Monroe, LA signed.
Juliette T. from Herndon, VA writes:
I fully support this bill!
Juliette T. from Herndon, VA writes:
I fully support this bill!
Feb 12th, 2019
JMarie S. from Cocoa Beach, FL writes:
Support this bill...
Feb 12th, 2019
Someone from Crawley, WV signed.
Feb 12th, 2019
Michelle H. from Maple Shade, NJ writes:
When my husband and I lost our son at 23 weeks, I was able to take the time I needed because it was considered maternity leave. My husband was only able to have a week before returning to his job, and that was because he used all the vacation time he'd accumulated over the last few months. I think had he been able to have just a little more time than that we'd be in a very different situation than we are now.
Feb 12th, 2019
Jennifer R. from MORRISVILLE, NC writes:
When my 4 month old son passed away, my husband and I were both working at the same university. We received donations of vacation time from many people which allowed us to stay home for awhile. Without that support, I don't know what we would have been capable of.
Feb 12th, 2019
James D. from Mount Royal, NJ signed.
Feb 12th, 2019
James D. from Mount Royal, NJ signed.
Feb 12th, 2019
James D. from Mount Royal, NJ signed.
Feb 11th, 2019
Paula D. from Benton Harbor, MI writes:
Our daughter was a stay-at-home mom when she lost Stephen at nearly 7 months in the womb. She had the ability to remain at home and regroup, but our son-in-law, who received great support from his workplace, still probably had to go back WAY sooner than he was ready to. This modification will be a tremendous blessing to individuals experiencing the most difficult grief imaginable - the death of a child.
Feb 11th, 2019
Valerie I. from El Paso, TX writes:
This should have been in place since the beginning of time. There is nothing worse than losing a child. We know from experience with our beautiful daughter Khalia Ali Igo. She passed away when she should have been coming home from the hospital. No one should have to go straight back to work after holding their baby or children for the last time. 7.11 lbs 20 1/2 inches And pure beauty is what she was. We miss her every single day.
Jan 9th, 2019
Someone from Dothan, AL writes:
Please amend this act to include parents grieving the death of a child. This hits close to home as my daughter lost her infant daughter in March of 2018. The pain is the worst and all mommies/families need TIME TO HEAL their broken hearts. Thank you for your heartfelt consideration in amending this act!
Jan 9th, 2019
Someone from Dothan, AL writes:
Jan 8th, 2019
Alexandria L. from Atlanta, GA signed.
Nov 19th, 2018
Johanna P. from West Harrison, NY signed.
Feb 19th, 2018
Jonathan D. from Saint Simons Island, GA writes:
Signed
Dec 29th, 2017
Susan P. from Eatontown, NJ signed.
Dec 28th, 2017
Gregory H. from Saint Charles, IL signed.
Dec 21st, 2017
SHARON C. from Columbus, OH writes:
My position deal with desperate individuals seeking food assistance. I came back to work one week after I had my son's funeral. He was killed by a bullet while sleeping on the couch of his home. There was no time to say goodbye, it was sudden and unexpected. I had no time to grieve, because I had to get all the funeral arrangements done and etc... So while on the job, I must work with desperate individuals while starting to grieve and finally deal with the shock. The FMLA is a wonderful avenue but it must be amended to include more time for parents to deal with the loss of a child.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Someone from Sublimity, OR signed.