Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Mar 24th, 2017
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
Mar 23rd, 2017
Tara P. from Cartersville, GA signed.
Mar 22nd, 2017
Lynnette L. from Springfield, VA writes:
A common sense addition to the existing FMLA.
Mar 22nd, 2017
Kimberly T. from Austin, TX signed.
Mar 22nd, 2017
Someone from Stevens Point, WI signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Steve R. from Bethesda, MD signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
JoAnn M. from Champlin, MN signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Nancy K. from Pompano Beach, FL writes:
I think the death of a child should be included as a NECCESSARY modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. There is nothing worse then outliving your child and I strongly support THE SARAH GRACE-FARLEY-KLUGER ACT/The Parental Bereavement act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate.
Mar 21st, 2017
Mary Ann F. from Phoenix, AZ signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Jane H. from San Mateo, CA writes:
I can't imagine any reason why an employer would not provide bereavement leave to someone who has lost a child. It's not only a gesture of compassion and humanity, but also strengthens the bond between employee and the company. Do the right thing.
Mar 21st, 2017
Someone from Pittsford, NY signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Pam F. from Watervliet, NY signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Mary V. from Scottsdale, AZ signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Debbie E. from Attleboro, MA signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Someone from Provo, UT signed.
Mar 21st, 2017
Josette Y. from Mesa, AZ writes:
This should be a no brainer, come on, this type of loss is one of the worst things that can happend to someone, if not the worst. We need to have this covered. No one will take advantage of this and it needs to be updated to cover the people in true need.
Julianne M. from Woodbridge, VA writes:
I support this initiative. As a bereaved parent myself, I want to emphasize the importance that there should be no (child's) age qualifiers on this.
Mar 20th, 2017
Lisa A. from Arlington, VA signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Marie A. from Wyckoff, NJ signed.
susan t. from Columbus, OH writes:
this is 100% necessary for all parents suffering the grief and loss of a child.
NANCI G. from Phoenix, AZ writes:
Ido support your bill. thank you for all your efforts.
Mar 20th, 2017
Lou B. from Nantucket, MA signed.
Susan C. from Topeka, KS writes:
I have experienced the death of a beloved child and I know and understand how difficult it is to have to return to work in those early days of bereavement. Grief is not an event, it is a process, and the process needs time.
Someone from Hudson, WI writes:
I add my support for this bereavement leave but should include a child of any age. I lost a child in 2015 and have one that is seriously ill. I am fortunate that I do not have to worry about the need for this bill and my husbands boss has been extremely supportive. Unfortunately many of the people I have meet since my daughters death have not had the same experience. Many lost jobs. I imagine PTSD feeling and emotions and fears are closer mirrored. Until you experience this kind of loss you will never understand what it is like and how it cuts more deeply than any other kind of loss.... (your pet, your best friend, your parent....nothing compares....not even close). I hope you never experience this kind of loss.
Mar 20th, 2017
Someone from Bethesda, MD signed.
Betty D. from Wausau, WI writes:
I believe that the Parental Bereavement Leave Act should include ANY child, including those over the age of 18. My child was older than that--and I was allowed three days leave. (My sister died the same day so was allowed two days for her funeral too.) When i returned to work the following Monday, I was unable to concentrate or sit at my desk without weeping. Yes, we need more compassion when it comes to allowing bereaved parents to spend more time dealing with the death of their child (and "children" can be all ages).
Mar 20th, 2017
Julie C. from Henrico, VA signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Michele A. from Wayne, NJ signed.
Harriet S. from Highland Park, IL writes:
Please support this bill which underscores compassion and humanity.
Mar 20th, 2017
Someone from Pittsford, NY signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Ellen B. from Palm Beach Gardens, FL signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Janet L. from Alexandria, VA signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Flagstaff, AZ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Deirdre W. from Mahwah, NJ writes:
Make it happen now. Do your job! Understand. Be human and do the right thing!
Mar 19th, 2017
Tola M. from Westfield, NJ writes:
Please support the Farley - Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA. THANK YOU!
Mar 19th, 2017
Kathleen F. from Mahwah, NJ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Kim S. from Austin, TX signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Karen P. from Mason, OH writes:
I was lucky enough to work for a compassionate man who allowed me months off. There is no way to properly describe the state of mind after losing your child.
Mar 19th, 2017
Rebecca y. from Austin, TX signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Washington, DC signed.