Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Jun 21st, 2017
Derek S. from Nixa, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Diahn H. from Greeneville, TN signed.
Melinda W. from Granite City, IL writes:
I lost my 25 year old son a month ago while I was out on Medical Leave so I was able to be out for almost 2 weeks but had I not been on medical leave, I would only get 4 days of bereavement. Some people cope better than others but it is extremely painful and hard to keep your focus after such a thing occurs. I am still struggling emotionally. Also, he was over 18 but was still my child so age should not matter, losing a child at any age is devastating and time should be allowed for grieving under the FMLA.
Lisa T. from Dubuque, IA writes:
I lost a son 10 months ago and fmla would have helped tremendously. Before he passed i was with him in Iowa City for 3 weeks. It was the worse recovery anyone could ever go through. No one can imagine what it is like to lose a child. Its something you never recover from.
Someone from Saint Charles, MO writes:
As a parent who lost a son, I cannot imagine if I would have to return to a job immediately. Please give grieving parents time to gather enough strength to go forward.
Jun 21st, 2017
Tonya D. from O Fallon, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Tonya D. from O Fallon, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Erin D. from Strafford, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Danielle S. from Nixa, MO signed.
Kathleen M. from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
When I needed it most, my short term disability was denied repeatedly. Fortunately, my firm stood behind me, supported me and gave me the time I needed to start the healing process. This act would have been so beneficial for me.
Jun 21st, 2017
Karen S. from Lake Orion, MI signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Vickie P. from Park Hills, MO signed.
Lisa D. from Park Hills, MO writes:
I lost my son at the age of 17 in an accident he was a Sr in high school was killed Dec 22nd 2015 ,he was to go into the Marine Corp upon graduation from high school.
Jun 21st, 2017
Alicia C. from Hardin, IL signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Cindy R. from Jerseyville, IL signed.
Jammie J. from Florissant, MO writes:
This is needed. I'm a registered nurse. Who had to go back to work per my doctor. I'm grief stricken, with people's lives in my hands. And all could think about was my son.
Sharon T. from Eugene, OR writes:
My husband and I lost our son, our only child, Ian to leukemia when he was 15. My job had ended due to my full-time care of Ian during his hospital treatments, but my husband was not able to spend as much time with Ian because he had used up his FMLA and had to go back to work to continue our health insurance. My husband had to return to work almost immediately after Ian died. It was very hard on both of us.
Jun 21st, 2017
Someone from Granada Hills, CA signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Dawn P. from Elkland, MO signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Lisa S. from Freeburg, IL signed.
Melissa S. from Tulsa, OK writes:
I support this initiative whole heartedly, as a parent, and friend of a family that is grieving the loss of their son. I can't imagine having to put one a smiling face and go to work 3-5 days after the worst loss a parent can suffer. Child loss needs time for the parents and siblings to process and move through their grief without being rushed. As a country we need to respect that grief is real, and you don't just get over it, we should honor and respect it while a family ou'd moving through it. Being forced back to work in days is devastating, so please consider covering child loss in the FMLA, thank you.
Jun 20th, 2017
Someone from Carlinville, IL signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Ashley L. from Grafton, IL signed.
Danielle S. from Troy, MO writes:
There should not be limitations on grief. I had to fight to be off more than I was aloud to actually grieve.
Jun 20th, 2017
Rachel M. from Grafton, IL signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Kathleen R. from Farmingdale, NY signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Kathleen R. from Farmingdale, NY signed.
Tamra J. from Tulsa, OK writes:
As a grieving mother, this is so important.
Jun 20th, 2017
Samantha B. from Granite City, IL signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Kathleen L. from Foristell, MO signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Kathleen L. from Foristell, MO signed.
Someone from New Athens, IL writes:
There should not be an age limit put on FMLA. No matter the age they are our children. I know this to be fact because I lost my 29 year old son and it has destroyed me. Please do not put an age limit and and think about how you would feel if you lost an adult child.
Jun 20th, 2017
Niki F. from Farber, MO signed.
Cindi C. from Broomfield, CO writes:
There is a tremendous need for the FMLA to be amended to include the death of a child;however I don't agree that it should be limited to children under the age of 18. They do not stop being your child at 18 - it still hurts like hell, no matter what age.
Cindi C. from Broomfield, CO writes:
Jun 20th, 2017
Michelle B. from Springfield, MO signed.
Jun 20th, 2017
Sheila S. from Saint Louis, MO signed.
Someone from Old Saybrook, CT writes:
Family needs time to begin the healing process.
Carla B. from Montrose, CO writes:
Please support the Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.
Jun 20th, 2017
Emily F. from San Diego, CA signed.