Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Mar 20th, 2017
Lisa A. from Arlington, VA signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Marie A. from Wyckoff, NJ signed.
susan t. from Columbus, OH writes:
this is 100% necessary for all parents suffering the grief and loss of a child.
NANCI G. from Phoenix, AZ writes:
Ido support your bill. thank you for all your efforts.
Mar 20th, 2017
Lou B. from Nantucket, MA signed.
Susan C. from Topeka, KS writes:
I have experienced the death of a beloved child and I know and understand how difficult it is to have to return to work in those early days of bereavement. Grief is not an event, it is a process, and the process needs time.
Someone from Hudson, WI writes:
I add my support for this bereavement leave but should include a child of any age. I lost a child in 2015 and have one that is seriously ill. I am fortunate that I do not have to worry about the need for this bill and my husbands boss has been extremely supportive. Unfortunately many of the people I have meet since my daughters death have not had the same experience. Many lost jobs. I imagine PTSD feeling and emotions and fears are closer mirrored. Until you experience this kind of loss you will never understand what it is like and how it cuts more deeply than any other kind of loss.... (your pet, your best friend, your parent....nothing compares....not even close). I hope you never experience this kind of loss.
Mar 20th, 2017
Someone from Bethesda, MD signed.
Betty D. from Wausau, WI writes:
I believe that the Parental Bereavement Leave Act should include ANY child, including those over the age of 18. My child was older than that--and I was allowed three days leave. (My sister died the same day so was allowed two days for her funeral too.) When i returned to work the following Monday, I was unable to concentrate or sit at my desk without weeping. Yes, we need more compassion when it comes to allowing bereaved parents to spend more time dealing with the death of their child (and "children" can be all ages).
Mar 20th, 2017
Julie C. from Henrico, VA signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Michele A. from Wayne, NJ signed.
Harriet S. from Highland Park, IL writes:
Please support this bill which underscores compassion and humanity.
Mar 20th, 2017
Someone from Pittsford, NY signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Ellen B. from Palm Beach Gardens, FL signed.
Mar 20th, 2017
Janet L. from Alexandria, VA signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Flagstaff, AZ signed.
Deirdre W. from Mahwah, NJ writes:
Make it happen now. Do your job! Understand. Be human and do the right thing!
Tola M. from Westfield, NJ writes:
Please support the Farley - Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA. THANK YOU!
Mar 19th, 2017
Kathleen F. from Mahwah, NJ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Kim S. from Austin, TX signed.
Karen P. from Mason, OH writes:
I was lucky enough to work for a compassionate man who allowed me months off. There is no way to properly describe the state of mind after losing your child.
Mar 19th, 2017
Rebecca y. from Austin, TX signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Washington, DC signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Nancy A. from Wyckoff, NJ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Sykesville, MD signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Marcia P. from Bradenton, FL signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Philip K. from Brookeville, MD signed.
Jodi N. from Locust Grove, VA writes:
The death of a child at any age should be covered under this Act, not just children 18 and under.
Mar 19th, 2017
Nancy R. from Crofton, MD signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Kristen B. from Bellingham, MA signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Saint Johns, FL signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Voorhees, NJ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Ellen R. from Scottsdale, AZ signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Marianna J. from Felton, DE signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Dover, DE signed.
Mar 19th, 2017
Someone from Pompano Beach, FL signed.
Robin K. from West Palm Beach, FL writes:
This needs to happen.No lost greater than Your Child.When I was working at the PBCounty School Board in South Florida.I was harassed and ridicule and treated in a inhuman way by the Principal of the school and others. I had bad anxiety attacks and now suffer from PTSD.This principal did not care.He constantly accused me of things I never did. He should of been reprimanded at the time but I was too numb and also a widow anf could not even drive .This needs to pass.It is a debilitating loss no one should ever have to go through.A grieving mother.
Mar 19th, 2017
Kay S. from Dover, DE signed.
Victoria R. from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
This has been a long time coming. Make it happen!
Victoria R. from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
This has been a long time coming. Make it happen!