Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
2 days ago
Steve R. from Euless, TX signed.
Jessie F. from Lewiston, MI writes:
My husband had to return to his trucking job 3 weeks after losing our son in a tragic accident. He wasn't ready. He needed more time.
2 days ago
Judy W. from Summerville, SC signed.
2 days ago
Debbie J. from Owatonna, MN signed.
Barry K. from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
Congressman Schweikert: It's time to join your fellow Republican colleagues in AZ and around the country and support this act. It's not just compassionate, it's good business to support our American workers!
2 days ago
Jessica C. from Saint Paul, MN signed.
2 days ago
Mari M. from East Taunton, MA signed.
Deb P. from Satellite Beach, FL writes:
Losing a child is a life long struggle and no one should be able to function 3-5 days after such a terrible, unthinkable loss.
2 days ago
Beth W. from Pawtucket, RI signed.
2 days ago
Erin P. from Claremont, NH signed.
2 days ago
Shelagh D. from Stuart, FL signed.
August W. from Scroggins, TX writes:
This is imperative for families!
August W. from Scroggins, TX writes:
This is imperative for families!
August W. from Scroggins, TX writes:
This is imperative for families!
August W. from Scroggins, TX writes:
This is imperative for families!
Kerry C. from Pelham, NH writes:
We lost our son on 5/21/17. My husband was paid for 3days. He took 2 weeks off, which wasn't nearly enough! He needs us, and we need him. It's been a month now. Not a day goes by where one of us isn't struggling. How comforting it would be to have him home. At the very least, he should be able to take a sick day, especially seeing we have yet to have a full nights sleep, which puts him in harm's way at work.
Kerry C. from Pelham, NH writes:
2 days ago
Jamie S. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jun 24th, 2017
Sandi T. from Santee, CA writes:
I lost my son, Joshua James Lubrich, 18 years old, to a beach accident in which he never recovered. I really can't say enough of how much help this would be to bereaved families. I am Co-Leader of The Compassionate Friends of the San Diego Chapter. I have seen so many bereaved families come to our groups each month and there is nothing worse than the loss of a child. TCF is a national non-profit, self-help support organization offering friendship, understanding, and hope to families grieving the death of a child of any age, from any cause. Passing this bill is the only answer!! Thanks!
Jun 23rd, 2017
Sandy B. from Winchester, VA signed.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Someone from Saint Louis, MO signed.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Julie J. from Overland Park, KS signed.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Denise P. from Roseville, CA signed.
Jun 23rd, 2017
Joanne A. from Poughkeepsie, NY writes:
as a parent who has also had a child die I support this bill.... A parent needs a lot of time to grieve and to bury a child is the worst thing that can happen. YOU WILL NEVER RECOVER THE LOSS OF CHILD. Please pass this bill so that they will have time that it takes when the shock of losing a child is over..
Jun 22nd, 2017
Someone from Warrenton, MO signed.
Jun 22nd, 2017
Sarah B. from Springfield, MO writes:
This is definitely needed and doesn't even begin to explain what the "healing process" time would need; but additional time granted to begin those stages, would be extremely helpful!
Jun 22nd, 2017
Someone from Sullivan, MO signed.
Jun 22nd, 2017
Someone from Missouri City, TX signed.
Jun 22nd, 2017
Suzanne H. from Montrose, CO signed.
Jun 22nd, 2017
Christina W. from Cape Girardeau, MO writes:
I was severly injured in the wreck that killed my son thats the only reason I was granted leave without loosing my job. I didnt get my salary at all, but i had my job when I recovered. If i hadnt been hurt I would of lost my job the grief you experience with child loss is devastating. You can not just go to work! You need time to heal.
Jun 22nd, 2017
Someone from Grover, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Karen C. from Carrollton, TX writes:
After losing our 22 year old daughter November 1, 2015, I had no idea who came, called, or entered my life to help. I lost my memory during this devastating time in our lives. I support the Parental Bereavement Act with all my heart❤
Jun 21st, 2017
Karen C. from Carrollton, TX writes:
Jun 21st, 2017
Erica K. from Edwardsville, IL signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Someone from Hardin, IL signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Denise W. from Park Hills, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Someone from Somerset, PA signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Jody M. from Troy, MO signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Allison B. from Peabody, MA signed.
Jun 21st, 2017
Carlynn H. from Saint Louis, MO signed.