Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Jul 21st, 2017
Stacy G. from Saint Charles, MO signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Kelly W. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Kelly W. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Allison W. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Lynn S. from Sykesville, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Candice M. from Jeannette, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Angela K. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Katherine F. from Butler, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Teresita S. from Millersville, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Teresita S. from Millersville, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Jessica O. from Lawrence, MI signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Erin H. from Minneapolis, MN signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Lauren C. from Dallas, TX signed.
Julie S. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
When my newborn daughter died I was devastated. My HR manager was RELIEVED when I told her I didn't think I was ready to return to work, as she could see I was in no shape to do so. Fatigue from 2 hour feedings and time to bond with your baby are valid reasons to have paid medical family leave. So is shock, devastation and primal grief. Obviously those who don't understand this are those whom have not lived it.
Julie S. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
Julie S. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
Julie S. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
Julie S. from Minneapolis, MN writes:
Jul 21st, 2017
Liz N. from Lutherville Timonium, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Amy G. from Beaver Falls, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Mindy M. from Lexington, SC signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Someone from Reynoldsville, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Courtney S. from Sharon, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Nicole S. from Washington, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Albert E. from Coraopolis, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Eileen M. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Lisa H. from Crownsville, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Debra H. from Hickory, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Jodi H. from Coulters, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Margot M. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Lorraine D. from Murrysville, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Anna L. from Coraopolis, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Someone from Severna Park, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Shauna S. from Hagerstown, MD signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Someone from Cape Coral, FL signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Jill M. from Finleyville, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Someone from Irwin, PA signed.
Jul 21st, 2017
Someone from Bolivar, PA signed.
Someone from Cresson, TX writes:
Jul 21st, 2017
Deanna S. from Monaca, PA signed.