First Do No Harm: The DEA targets Physicians who treat their patients pain.

There are many Doctors who label their patients unfairly, demean these patients and degrade them because they are victims of chronic life long pain.
This is archaic medicine and does more harm than one can imagine. Physicans are afraid to treat patients who are victims of pain. The DEA targets them and instills fear in how they choose to treat their patients and what they prescribe. More and more, Doctors are refusing to treat their patients who have chronic pain. Patients are far too often considered "Malingering" or "Doctor Shopping".

Doctors far too often refuse to even communicate with these sufferers and label them as a LTDU ( Long Term Drug User) This is unfair, harmful medicine, and and causes llife long damage, both physically and mentally. It has effects on family, friends, co-workers and often causes the sufferer to withdraw from society. Through no fault of the patient, they withdraw from daily activities with their spouses, family and friends.

Much like the Abortion issue, you force these victims of pain into back door alleyways, store front pain clinics and worse. They receive no counseling on how to take their medication and often don't know what they are taking. Like in the past, by treating victims of pain this way, you force them into seeking help and relief outside of the Law. It is one issue to target illegal clinics but another issue entirely to target Physicians who should be allowed and should be treating their patients who have pain. Instead, Physicians are forced, out of fear of prescribing pain medication, to send their patients off to some "Unknown" pain clinic where they suffer yet more humiliating labels and discrimination. Pharmacists often feel the need to "interfere" and embarass the patient when they pick up their medications. They are treated like second or third class human beings.

Why is it that Doctors are no longer treating the 'Whole Patient?" Not addressing the underlying causes of chronic pain? There are many instances when there is NO clear cause for pain but that is not to say it doesn't exist. Pain receptors malfunction. Injuries can cause pain years later.
Elderly patients who suffer every remaining day of their lives are told by their Doctors' that "They are concerned about a possible addiction". What happened to the quality of their life? Their right to live their life to live without debilitating pain? Their only option may be to consider suicide?
The damage caused is a horror. Elderly commit suicide rather than live with this pain.
Physicians are taught (since the very beginning of medical school) that any patient requesting pain medication is to be Scrutinized" and to be "Wary" of them especially if they tell you they can't take anti-inflammatory drugs, that is a sure "SIGN" of addiction.
I was told this by my own Doctor. "What to watch out for when a patient requests help with their pain." They actually have a class for new Doctors on how NOT to treat patients.
Someone from Galion, OH writes:
Those of us in legitimate chronic pain are the ones left suffering while the DEA makes "examples" out of pain doctors and pharmacies. Easy targets compared to the street dealers and pill mills they claimed they were going to go after!
Someone from Albuquerque, NM writes:
Although my doctor is not like this, I know of several that are.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Irwin, PA signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Central Point, OR signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Lakewood, WA signed.
Someone from Orlando, FL writes:
Please Help Us! We deserve not to suffer!
Someone from Fredericksburg, VA writes:
The fight for humane treatment of "LEGITIMATE" pain patients must become the next fight if we are to remain a society that represents and respects all people not just those that chose to break the laws!!!!!
Someone from Tampa, FL writes:
I have cronic back pain due to being rear-ended in a car accident, through no fault of my own, doctors used up most of my medical allowed and I ended up with constant pain, and no compensation due to revised laws on how much I could sue for which is only what the medical car insurance will pay. Without a pain management doc. I would not be able to function. I am not on an addictive meds, but I do NEED them. There has to be a happy meduim somewhere for those people who truly need pain meds!
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Ontario, CA signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Cincinnati, OH signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Nampa, ID signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Imperial, CA signed.
Someone from Millsboro, DE writes:
Focus on BAD doctors
Someone from Petal, MS writes:
For those of us with chronic, debilitating diseases, such as arachinoiditis and Tarlov Cyst Disease, we can not make it thru a day with out our medication. We have lost our jobs, independence, friends, spouses and our ability to just function on a day to day basis like a normal person. Like those of you who take "walking, sitting, riding, bending or stretching" for granted. We live with this pain every breath we take! So instead of taking our medication, why not try to find a way to fix us! Help us! Don't hurt us any more than what we already suffer because of these incurible diseases!
Someone from Pompano Beach, FL writes:
I am a chronic pain sufferer with Lupus, Sjogrens syndrome and Avascular Necrosis of my femur. I am in constant pain 24/7 because of this. I would be in unbearable agony if I did not have a prescription for pain medicine. I am a very responsible person and only take the minimal amount needed to take the edge off the pain so I can somewhat function during the day, and sleep at night. It is not fair that pain patients are discriminated against because irresponsible drug addicts abuse pain meds! Target the real abusers, not real pain patients and their doctors!
Someone from Hominy, OK writes:
I was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition almost 5 years ago. It has robbed me of my job, marriage, and most of my friends. I would give anything to have my life back the way it was. I do what ever it takes to NOT have to take narcotic pain meds by using a SpinalCord Stimulator and simply gritting my teeth, but there are days when I just have to take them. I dont need to be labled because I have to take meds, its bad enough this disease I know live with makes it very obvious I have a disability by the way I walk.
Someone from Mesa, AZ writes:
Please remember that there are patients out there in pain 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Show some compassion for us.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from New York, NY signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Someone from Austin, TX writes:
DEA should focus strictly on bad doctors. It is easy to see who is in compliance and who is not. Stop fishing and harassing those who comply with the current laws.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Carbondale, IL signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Comanche, OK signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from White House, TN signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Milford, CT signed.
Someone from West Stockholm, NY writes:
Using fear and intimidation to influence medical care of civilian population is a violation of international human rights treaties. The United States is a party and has pledged to abide by those treaties.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Warwick, RI signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Longwood, FL signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Pipersville, PA signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Fort Lauderdale, FL signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Orlando, FL signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Farmington, CT signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Millville, NJ signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Tampa, FL signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Warminster, PA signed.
Jun 21st, 2012
Someone from Fort Lauderdale, FL signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Someone from Hamilton, MT signed.
Jun 20th, 2012
Someone from Wexford, PA writes:
If any of the big guys in the DEA had a diagnosis of a disease that is known for causing chronic pain like the one I have Arachnoiditis, we wouldn't be needing to sign this and fight for our right to receive some comfort from our meds. Anyone with a definite diagnosis of a known chronic pain disease should have the right to have what they need with no questions asked. All we are seeking is a little compassion and understanding of our condition. We only wish they could wear our shoes for just one day and they would quickly understand...
Jun 18th, 2012
Someone from Elgin, IL writes:
My mother suffers from Symptomatic Tarlov Cysts and is in constant pain. Because of other issues, she can't take anti-inflammatory. After 4 surgeries, to treat her cysts, her only options to have an invasive surgery to implant a medical device in her spine, or be allowed to take pain medication on a regular basis. She rarely takes meds now so she can save them for a really, really bad day. But I want to see her living a life again, not lying in bed writhing in pain. Please, let her doctor make an informed decision and giver her relief!
Jun 18th, 2012
Someone from Elgin, IL writes:
I am in so much pain as I write. I have severe spinal nerve damage from Symptomatic Tarlov Cysts. I've had four surgeries and may need yet another. I currently have 9 tablets of Vicodin left from an Rx in April, but dare not take one because I cannot get a refill until two weeks from now. I have only taken about 5% of the prescribed dosage for pain because of difficulty getting refills. I have never abused any substance in my life and previously never needed pain medication. I am likely to have severe pain the rest of my life and it is depressing to think that the only real option for me is a risky procedure to implant an electrode in my spine to reduce pain when I could get simple pain relief from medication. But, my doctor can't really control that. Congress does. This is simply unfair and I am really suffering as a consequence. Please put these decisions back into the hands of responsible professionals who know their patients' needs. Please. Thank you!