Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child. It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2019 (HR 983) in the House and (S.559) in the Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits. I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process. The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from College Station, TX signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Seneca, KS signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Seneca, KS signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Worcester, MA writes:
Seriously??? No leave after the death of your child...absolutely heartless!!!
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Richmond, VA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from O Fallon, MO signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Brookfield, MA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Fiskdale, MA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Liverpool, NY signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Saint Paul, MN signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Saint Paul, MN signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Phoenix, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Dryden, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Syracuse, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Syracuse, NY writes:
This just makes sense. I would also like to see this considered a temporary disability. This should also include parents of adult children who are victims of violent crime. My brother was murdered in 1993, at the age of 33. Imagine having to go right back to work after that kind of devastation.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from La Fayette, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Caledonia, MI signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA writes:
This may be a separate issue but I think it makes my point. I was on the Paid Family Leave (that I am so grateful for here in California, because I could actually have time off after our adoption) when my daughter died. So I am on the phone with the benefits representative and they tell me that my leave is terminated immediately because if you are on leave to bond with a child and that child dies (wait for it) then they terminate your claim. This is inhumane! In fact, it sounds like a decision that ONLY a computer could make.Your child dies so now you can go back to work immediately because now you don't need to bond with them. Much Thanks to Kelly Farley.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Tucker, GA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Westborough, MA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Garden City, NY signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from San Jose, CA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Brimfield, MA writes:
A child is a gift from God, the loss is unimaginable. To never again be able in this life, to see, hear, touch, feel and love your child is shattering for as long as one lives. It is only thru the passing of time that the suffering, distress and sorrow lessen. Therefore, I sincerely ask you to give this Modification of the Family Medical Leave act of 1993 prayerful consideration. Modifying this act will allow grieving family?s time to renew their HOPE.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Eastlake, OH writes:
I would like to see not only a leave but some financial compensation as well. Perhaps a percentage of income so as to not add to the stress and worry after such a tragedy...there are so many unexpected expenses- that a leave for grieving is not enough.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Brimfield, MA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Arlington, MA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Taos, NM signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Olathe, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Forest Hills, NY writes:
I lost my brother five months ago. I have trouble focusing and working to the best of my ability it's hard to imagine what it's like for my parents. Physical illness is an acceptable reason to miss work but for some reason emotional trauma and grief doesn't seem to count. In many ways it is more debilitating than any physical illness. I support this petition fully.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Port Washington, NY signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Madison, OH writes:
As an aunt to a niece recently lost, I think the change to the FMLA would be great.