Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child. It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2019 (HR 983) in the House to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits. I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process. The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from Richmond, VA signed.
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from Keysville, VA signed.
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from Richmond, VA writes:
I'm signing on the behalf of my friend Brenda Cook and her son!
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from South Boston, VA signed.
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from Petersburg, VA writes:
I became aware of this act due to Brenda Cook. I am supporting anyone who has to deal with this loss in their life. My prayers are with you.
Jan 15th, 2011
Someone from Richmond, VA writes:
The loss of a child evokes unimaginable emotional turmoil, not to mention the well-researched, proven stages of grief that one must endure. The process to finding peace and optimism again is an even more daunting and difficult aspect associated with this type of loss. When a child dies, it has a tremendously devastating effect on the parents, grandparents and other relatives. The parents, however, endure the greatest impact, which results in emotional and psychological instability that is often followed by negative behavioral changes. For this reason, I support this petition to amend the FMLA of 1993 so that moms and dads can access the help and utilize the time they need to recover.
Jan 14th, 2011
Someone from Mc Gregor, IA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Chevy Chase, MD signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Whitesboro, NY signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Menlo Park, CA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Salem, MA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 13th, 2011
Someone from College Station, TX signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Seneca, KS signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Seneca, KS signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Worcester, MA writes:
Seriously??? No leave after the death of your child...absolutely heartless!!!
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Richmond, VA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from O Fallon, MO signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Brookfield, MA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Fiskdale, MA signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Liverpool, NY signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 12th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Southbridge, MA signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Saint Paul, MN signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Saint Paul, MN signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Phoenix, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Dryden, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Syracuse, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Syracuse, NY writes:
This just makes sense. I would also like to see this considered a temporary disability. This should also include parents of adult children who are victims of violent crime. My brother was murdered in 1993, at the age of 33. Imagine having to go right back to work after that kind of devastation.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from La Fayette, NY signed.
Jan 11th, 2011
Someone from Camillus, NY signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Caledonia, MI signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA writes:
This may be a separate issue but I think it makes my point. I was on the Paid Family Leave (that I am so grateful for here in California, because I could actually have time off after our adoption) when my daughter died. So I am on the phone with the benefits representative and they tell me that my leave is terminated immediately because if you are on leave to bond with a child and that child dies (wait for it) then they terminate your claim. This is inhumane! In fact, it sounds like a decision that ONLY a computer could make.Your child dies so now you can go back to work immediately because now you don't need to bond with them. Much Thanks to Kelly Farley.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Tucker, GA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Westborough, MA signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from Garden City, NY signed.
Jan 10th, 2011
Someone from San Jose, CA signed.