Parental Bereavement Leave (The Farley-Kluger Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I, the undersigned, support the need for a Parental Bereavement Leave Act as a way of extending coverage and existing benefits allowed by FMLA to employees that have experienced the death of a child.

It is my strong opinion that the death of a child is one of the worst experiences that anyone can endure. I find it unacceptable that the death of a child is not included as a protected reason to qualify for the benefits that are set forth in the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

As your constituent, I encourage you to give this issue serious consideration and support The Sarah Grace-Farley-Kluger Act/ The Parental Bereavement Act of 2017 in the House and/or Senate to make the necessary modification to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Since the existing FMLA defines a child as anyone under the age of 18, verbiage should be added to allow bereaved parents to qualify for these benefits.

I support Kelly Farley and Barry Kluger in their efforts to make these necessary changes and allow the time needed to begin the healing process.

The Farley-Kluger Initiative is proud to have the support of such organizations as the Polly Klaas Foundation, the National Association of Social Workers, American Counseling Association, the Elisabeth-Kubler Ross Foundation, Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), First Candle, The Grief Recovery Institute Educational Foundation, Parents of Murdered Children (POMC), The MISS Foundation, Share Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc., The JED Foundation, Blue Star Families, Gold Star Mothers and Fathers, The Sarah Grace Foundation for Children with Cancer, The Children's Bereavement Center of Miami, National Students of AMF, American Academy of Grief Counseling, National Alliance for Grieving Children, Red Means Stop Traffic Safety Alliance and The American Institute for Health Care Professionals, to name a few.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Liverpool, NY signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Owego, NY signed.
Someone from Moundville, AL writes:
i used family sick time while my husband lay dying in the icu unit i can't imagine loss of a child and not be able to be off to grieve and protect my job
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Dublin, OH signed.
Someone from San Mateo, CA writes:
We value the idea of allowing a new parent to have time off to adjust and spend time with their new child. As difficult a task this is, it doesn't compare to adjusting to living without a child that has passed. This will be a good first step in helping society to better respect loss and bereavement. Change this law now.
Someone from Eau Claire, WI writes:
After the death of my 10 year old son, I used up all my vacation time within the first month. I had to wait 8 more months before I had any more vacation time. There were days that I could have used during the first year to just get away.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Ely, IA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Aldie, VA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Valley Stream, NY signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Haysville, KS signed.
Someone from Goddard, KS writes:
PLEASE make this change and allow parents to start the healing process prior to returning to work.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Bay Shore, NY signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Ottumwa, IA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from West Islip, NY signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Suwanee, GA signed.
Someone from Sundance, WY writes:
There is nothing worse then losing a child. We grieving parents have a hard enough time to get out of bed but to have to do anything that requires thinking is next to impossible. I can't tell you what I did those first 12 weeks after my son's death and as a housewife, I didn't have the pressure that my husband had going back to work the week after his death. As I put it to others. You can't go back and work like before, there is no before in our lives right now, just now and not looks pretty bleak. It isn't just taking care of the family but taking care of yourself also.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Solon, IA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Valley Center, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Valley Center, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Ashland, MA signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Olmsted Falls, OH signed.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Center Moriches, NY signed.
Someone from Valley Stream, NY writes:
I worked on getting the initial FMLA enacted, and recently lost my 28 year old son. I urge you to amend the current FMLA to expand benefits to include those employees who have lost a child. This is important legislation and Kelly Farley is to be commended for his action on behalf of all bereaved parents.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Someone from Lafayette, NJ writes:
I am a grief counselor in NJ, and it is my opinion that child loss is one of the most painful losses a person can experience, regardless of the age of the child. This, by nature, can make the grief process even longer than a typical grief reaction. I have found many people find it very difficult to go back to work and function normally while working through the pain of their loss. As such, many just quit their jobs knowing that going back to work sooner is an impossibility. If this loss were to be included in the FMLA, it would allow more time for a griever to process this special type of loss and be more ready to face their typical duties.
Jan 9th, 2011
Someone from Springboro, OH signed.
Jan 8th, 2011
Someone from Aurora, IL signed.