Citizens United to Change and Repeal 924(c) "Stacking Statute"

Congressman Bobby Scott has submitted Criminal Justice Reform Bill H.R. 1254, ?The Recidivism Clarification Act of 2015?. This bill would save taxpayers roughly $6 Billion dollars by reducing the time in prison for approximately 3,000 inmates who were sentenced to excessive time. Supporting this bill will restore lives, families and give those inmates a chance to be contributing productive citizens.

This bill would address the excessive, severe, and irrational mandatory consecutive penalties that are added onto exiting mandatory minimums, a practice commonly known as ?stacking?. The current ?stacking statute? has led to grossly disproportionate, irrational, and excessive sentences that often do not fit the crime charged and way above the recommended sentencing guidelines which were substantially less. This bill further clarifies that sentences can only be ?stacked? when the defendant is a ?true recidivist? ? meaning the defendant had a prior qualifying predicated conviction that had already been final.

We, Citizens United to Change and Repeal 924(c) ?Stacking Statute? strongly believe these relatively few inmates deserve to be re-evaluated and permitted to petition for relief for excessive sentences. The families of these men and women are hopeful that you, Congress, are truly sincere about wanting criminal justice reform that would facilitate ?Liberty and Justice for All?. Please recommend Bill H.R. 1254 be brought to the floor for a vote?..then APPROVE THIS BILL!

Let?s Get It Done?.
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Dodge City, KS writes:
I hope this goes for the federal time to. My husband was sentenced to life plus 52 years currently in a appeal process. So many stories were switched up he needs a far trail. He deserve to be home with his family.
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Brunswick, GA writes:
Free Demetrius Y. Smith. My dad is the best. He was teaching me not to make the mistakes he made. How to be a man and work for what u want and need. He turned his life around when he met my mom and he gave his life to God. I have not seen my dad in almost 3 years and I need him at this point in my life. Please free him he doesn't deserve to serve all this time for the charge he was charged with. Its insane
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Brunswick, GA writes:
Free Demetrius Y. Smith. I miss my dad. We were very close. He stepped in and took care of myself and siblings and he had just gave his life to the lord. He was doing great. He is a good person he just made a bad choice. Please free my dad. I want him to be home to watch me walk across the stage in may 2016. Lord I pray that you touch the hearts of whom ever is in charge. And send my daddy home. Please!!!
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Brunswick, GA writes:
Please Free Demetrius Y. Smith because my father has been over sentenced. I have been very ill over the past year and a half and it has been alot of stress on my mother. This was my last year in school and my dad wasn't able to attend because of him being sentenced. I've been depressed on and off because I watch my mom struggle and stress because so much has been placed on her since he's been gone.
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Pearland, TX writes:
I support this petition because my husband was given a life sentence of 60 years that we are appealing now to get him a new trial because he was wrongfully convicted!
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from Brunswick, GA writes:
Free Gomeo Rodriguez and Demetrius Y. Smith They have been over sentenced for crimes committed. Stripped away from children,Wives and family. PLEASE FREE them if u have a heart. God please grant them a second chance.
Jun 2nd, 2015
Someone from Du Bois, PA signed.
May 30th, 2015
Someone from Fort Calhoun, NE signed.
May 29th, 2015
Someone from Monroe, MI signed.
May 29th, 2015
Someone from Camden, NY signed.
May 26th, 2015
Someone from Auburn, NY signed.
May 26th, 2015
Someone from Auburn, NY signed.
May 24th, 2015
Someone from Omaha, NE signed.
May 22nd, 2015
Someone from Bronx, NY signed.
May 22nd, 2015
Someone from Killeen, TX signed.
May 22nd, 2015
Someone from Hamtramck, MI signed.
May 22nd, 2015
Someone from Buffalo, NY writes:
FREE DEMETRIUS JENKINS JR. IS BEEN HELD DOWN TOO LONG & DESERVES TO BE HOME WIT HIS FAMILY!! PLEASE HELP HIM..
Someone from Staten Island, NY writes:
free hec he's a good man husband family and friend that man needs to be home with his family
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Chattanooga, TN signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Chattanooga, TN signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from South Richmond Hill, NY signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Bronx, NY signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Bronx, NY signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Salt Lake City, UT signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from New York, NY signed.
Someone from New York, NY writes:
Free my Tio Hec he's a great man and he has kids he has to watch grow and a wife he has to be there for
May 21st, 2015
Someone from New York, NY signed.
Someone from Waldorf, MD writes:
my fiance was sentenced at 17 yrs old and one of his charges was with a handgun. He has served 21yr on a 35 to life. This bill will help him to come home earlier. He was a young man and now he's a much mature adult. His family needs him.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from New York, NY signed.
Someone from East Syracuse, NY writes:
By Rose We live in a world where the United States houses more prisoners than any other country in the world including China, and Russia. We must ask is it really justice? The U.S. is now home to a quarter of the worlds inmates, despite making up just 5 percent of the global population. There are about 2.4 million people incarcerated in the United States, at a cost of more than $80 billion a year to the tax payer. Why so high we might ask? Take Frank Rogers for example at the age of 27 years old he was arrested in Syracuse, New York for his involvement in a marijuana conspiracy. He was marched into a federal court house, accepted a plea deal by admitting his wrongs in exchange for a sentence of no more than 10 years. When it came time for sentencing the court decided that a sentence in excess of 18 years was appropriate. Should Mr. Rogers a non-violent drug offender rot for pot costing the tax payer over $504,000? According to the federal bureau of prisons, the average cost of incarceration is $28,893.40 per year. Under Franks plea deal the cost to incarcerate him would have been $288,934.00, now it is over $504.000. Society as a whole must question the cost associated with such steep sentences for non-violent drug offenders. These sentences like the one handed down to Rogers, gives no second chances, allows no early release when one demonstrates he has rehabilitated himself. The federal system has no parole. Individuals convicted of crimes should face sentences commensurate with their conduct enabling the Justice Department to use their limited resources more effectively. This system of over incarcerating our citizens has turned into a virus, consuming lives with a sweeping effect. When we deprive someone of their liberty and deal with the high cost of incarceration, it needs to solve a problem. In Frank Rogers case and many others just like it, such sentences don't solve the problem they only enhance it. How could we ever say we have a fair system that promotes justice? Reform must be had. NO REFORM, NO JUSTICE. . ...
May 21st, 2015
Someone from New York, NY signed.
May 21st, 2015
Someone from Jeffersonville, IN signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Bethlehem, PA signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Cincinnati, OH signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Lexington, NC signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Santa Barbara, CA signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Fort Smith, AR signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Vincennes, IN writes:
I'm all for this bill!!
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Browning, MT signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Dodge City, KS signed.