Request Congress to Extend OSHA Protections to School Bus Operations and School Buses.

There is a loop hole in federal regulations that does not protect school buses and school bus drivers from OSHA type violations. This is clearly contrary to congressional intent. The purpose that Congress expressed in the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (Public Law 91-956) is ?to assure so far as possible every working man and woman in the Nation safe and healthful working conditions and to preserve our human resources? to ?assure ? that no worker will suffer diminished health, functional capacity, or life expectancy as a result of his work experience.?

This also exposes over 23 million schoolchildren to the same occupational environment as school bus drivers. This lack of protection is clearly unreasonable, arbitrary and capricious. All workers need the same protections. A school bus is a job site and is the working environment for a school bus driver. Now is the time to start protecting your school bus driver and your children.

Occupational illnesses, injuries, and reduced productivity are caused by the working environment on a school bus. Heat stress, fumes from exhaust or diesel fuel, fuel and grease tracked onto the buses by mechanics, sick students coughing and sneezing in a closed bus, body fluids such as vomit and urine, are a few examples of the possible problems on a school bus. Bus companies need to be required to clean these contaminants out of their school buses daily.

The environmental factors of heat stress are air temperature and movement, water vapor pressure (humidity) and radiant heat. Workers at greater risk of heat stress include those who are older, are overweight, have heart disease or high blood pressure, or take medications that may be affected by extreme heat.

School Bus Drivers are generally older and are not well-suited for heat stress environments. Most school buses do not have air conditioning; do not have adequate air movement and bus companies fail to provide drinking water on the bus; or an opportunity for the driver (or passengers/schoolchildren) to cool down. A full size bus has at least 32 windows that promote a greenhouse effect and the buses themselves are large metal boxes that get very hot and radiate heat back into the bus (like an oven). The following symptoms have occurred from heat stress on a school bus: excessive sweating and dehydration; dizziness; lightheadedness; fatigue; weakness; irritability; and being sick and vomiting.

OSHA does not have specific regulations to deal with heat-induced occupational illnesses, injuries, and reduced productivity. These need to be added beyond the OSHA ?general duty clause?. See also, Criteria for a Recommended Standard: Occupational Exposure to Hot Environments, http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/86-113.html

For the reasons herein, we urge the President and Congress to extend OSHA protections to school buses and school bus drivers; to add specific OSHA regulations for heat-induced occupational illnesses, injuries, and reduced productivity for all workers; to require bus companies to clean all contaminants from their school buses daily; and that air conditioning should be required on all school buses.

Jul 17th, 2018
Someone from Balch Springs, TX writes:
This is crazy. My child came from a field trip at day care. The school bus they drove didn't have air. It was 104 degrees today. My child came home tired, nauseated and said the bus was so hot it made her sick. I'm going to facility tomorrow to complain. This is ridiculous that there are no regs on air for buses. If I would of known that school buses are not required to have air working I would not have let her go on trip.
Jul 17th, 2018
Someone from Balch Springs, TX writes:
Jul 17th, 2018
Someone from Balch Springs, TX writes:
Jul 12th, 2018
Someone from Kopperl, TX writes:
It is HOT in Texas - period! Our summer weather seems to last a little longer than other states. We are a VERY small district & only have 2 busses w/AC & they are not used for routes. We do have 1 AC handicap. No AC is a safety issue for the kids AND driver. We have kids that get on the bus straight out of athletics & have to ride about an hour in a hot bus. What if a driver has a heat stroke during the route? Something needs to be done, especially for those small districts that can’t afford to replace their buses.
May 31st, 2018
Someone from San Antonio, TX writes:
it's ridicilous that the kids don't have AC at least my daughter doesn't i understand him to tell me that the special needs buses will have them special needs or NOT the kids on those buses have to have AC if it doesn't and it's in the 80 and up DO NOT use THAT bus are we really at a point in life where we care more about oh, they will just be hot for a little bit" NO, this has to stop NOW!! If you wont do anything about this i iwll personally take my school school and back home if you don't feel like my childs needs aren't going to be met. i wonder also if this could fall into the " no, child gets left behind i guess it's all in how you read it" GET your crap together or there will be alot of people in DC making SURE you change this law to making ALL kids cool on the bus i know i am not the only one that has this issue now go and handle it.!!
May 31st, 2018
Someone from San Antonio, TX writes:
May 18th, 2018
Someone from Indianapolis, IN writes:
This.is very dangerous drivers are on these busses from morning till late afternoon. The heat is unbearable.. it's time we.made changes
May 18th, 2018
Someone from Indianapolis, IN writes:
Mar 19th, 2018
Linda W. from Bristolville, OH writes:
my child with brain damage who cannot talk walk or sit up rides the bus with no air conditioning does she have to die before a law says put air conditioning on a bus
Mar 19th, 2018
Someone from Bristolville, OH writes:
The children with disabilities severe brain damage do not have air conditioning on their buses they cannot tell their parents when they feel way too hot
Mar 19th, 2018
Someone from Bristolville, OH writes:
Jan 7th, 2018
Erika B. from Londonderry, NH signed.
Jan 6th, 2018
Robin L. from Manchester, NH signed.
Jan 6th, 2018
Amy H. from Londonderry, NH signed.
Jan 6th, 2018
Alicia D. from Londonderry, NH writes:
To add to this, please increase regulations on fumes/exhaust intake. The fumes come into the bus and make drivers and students nauseous. Currentlh only carbon monoxide is monitored. NO fumes should be coming in.
Jan 6th, 2018
Monica M. from Londonderry, NH signed.
Jan 6th, 2018
Quinetta J. from Derry, NH signed.
Jan 6th, 2018
Jason M. from Derry, NH signed.
Oct 23rd, 2017
Sophano V. from Long Beach, CA signed.
Sep 28th, 2017
Someone from Land O Lakes, FL writes:
I am a school bus driver and being on that bus for 3 hours at a time without AC is torture. Yes, I chose this career, but I did because it is a rewarding job and I love it! I was a driver in Illinois 15 years ago, and the little bit of heat wasn't bad. But down here in Florida is terrible! I have one kindergartener that is on the bus for 40 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon. The rest of the kids are on the bus anywhere from 15 minutes to 25 minutes. The kindergartener falls asleep on the way home almost every day. He is exhausted and so am I. My daughter is a bus rider, but thankfully she is only on the bus for about 5 to 10 minutes. She is, however, very hot in that little time.
Sep 26th, 2017
Dr. Kristin B. from Lehigh Acres, FL writes:
Will it take another case of heat stroke or death for the Florida Department of Education to make the 2012 REQUIRED air conditioning changes on all school buses? A parent can be judged negligent and jailed for leaving a child in a hot car. But our children are being left on buses during thunder and lightning storms, according to dismissal procedures, without the benefit of open windows or proper air conditioning. The first week of school 2017, Lee County dismissal was halted for over two hours. The temperatures soared inside the buses. My daughter came home beet faced with hair and clothing soaked. This is not only not okay, it's illegal!
Sep 26th, 2017
debra b. from Celina, OH writes:
My three-year-old has heat stroke from being on a bus with the bus driver and aid and told that she was not allowed to roll down the windows because the kids might throw something out the windows or put their hands out the windows mind you my three-year-old and all the rest of the 3 yr olds are fastened into seat belts. It was 90 degrees with a feel of 102. Im extremely upset right now and im pushing this all the was up.
Sep 23rd, 2017
Someone from Essex, MD writes:
When is something going to be done about this horrible situation on public school buses. All of the children are at risk not only from the heat but also the fact that the driver is forced to be on that horrifically hot bus and could pass out or have a stroke at any given moment. What is wrong that those in charge are not making sure these students are protected from this danger. And even more what is wrong with the parents. Why aren't you rallying and picketing and complaining? These children NEED YOU to make this happen.
Sep 20th, 2017
Someone from Laredo, TX writes:
I live in east tx, both my daughters ride the bus home. Here the temperatures rise too and the fact that its hot and humid with no air running makes it worse for our children to ride the bus home. Ive watched both my daughters get off the bus sweating and my oldest had to be rushed to the hospital afterwards due to a heat stroke!!! My children dont have to be going thru any if this nor should any child!!! I spoke to the superintendent and obviously didnt give a crap since shes not his child!!! I am beyond furious at this point!!! Something needs to be done!!! I pay my taxes on time and my children have every right to ride a school bus equipped with a/c!!! What are you waiting for to act!?! For a child to die of a heat stroke!!!??? Why dont you ride the bus in these weathers and then come back to us with a better response as to why school busses dont have air!!! Ridiculous!!!
Sep 20th, 2017
Parrish S. from Baton Rouge, LA writes:
My sons ride a public school bus in the East Baton Rouge Public School System the heat index is well above 100 in September. Ona bus the temperatures are higher than the 90+ that it is outside. My children are drenched in sweat when they exit the bus and they are so thirsty and sometimes say their head hurts. I am appalled at the care our children receive on a bus, as well as the bus driver. This is unacceptable! I should not have to drive carpool when I pay taxes for my children to ride a bus.
Sep 14th, 2017
Donna L. from Virginia Beach, VA writes:
I drive a school bus. During the warmer months it is regularly over 100 degrees on my bus. It's bad for the kids, who are on the bus for about 30 minutes, but I am on the bus for two and a half hours. I personally have suffered from heat related illness as a result of the heat on my bus. I need to be mentally sharp to keep everybody safe, it is hard to do be mentally sharp with heat exhaustion. It isn't just a comfort issue, it is a safety issue!
Sep 1st, 2017
Sharon J. from Los Angeles, CA writes:
School buses should be required to have AC!!!! This is just horrific. Children and the bus drivers are suffering!!!!
Aug 30th, 2017
Mary M. from Loma Linda, CA writes:
I watched my child unboard from a bis with no AC yesterday in 111 degree weather in So. California. I was so upset to see my child covered in sweat. Her hair was wet and so was her shirt. This is unacceptable!!! I'm furious. This must change!! Immediately >:(
Aug 27th, 2017
Jade H. from Fort Walton Beach, FL signed.
Aug 25th, 2017
don s. from Palm Coast, FL signed.
Aug 23rd, 2017
Thomas V. from Saint Augustine, FL signed.
Aug 23rd, 2017
Thomas V. from Saint Augustine, FL signed.
Aug 22nd, 2017
Kim B. from Palmdale, CA signed.
Aug 21st, 2017
Morgan D. from Six Mile, SC writes:
Our buses need A/C!!
Aug 20th, 2017
Someone from Jacksonville, FL writes:
How can the school boards or anyone think it is safe for anyone to be on a bus with no ac public transportation buses have it why would it be ok for that but not for our children to have ac and be comfortable on their way to school and home and not feel sick or over heated and drivers as well transporting them. What is wrong with this picture Temperature can exceed in the triple digits on a bus. It is totally insane and if it rains all windows get closed and windows get steamed how is that healthy or safe.
Aug 20th, 2017
Toni P. from Jacksonville, FL signed.
Aug 13th, 2017
Kristi A. from Glendale, AZ writes:
Arizona generally has 115 degree heat most of the year. I had to resign from my job because I am physically unable to drive in that heat with no AC without becoming very I'll, including severe dizziness which would make me unsafe to operate. We had 41% humidity with a large thunderstorm and flooding due within the hour, making even putting my windows down impossible. I was told, not operating the bus without AC would be "job abandonment and insubordination." I immediately resigned. I should not have had to. There should be a law in place for places such as this. Our children should not have to suffer heat exhaustion and severe heat illnesses for a lack of AC.
Aug 9th, 2017
Someone from Orlando, FL signed.
Jul 26th, 2017
Don F. from Rio Vista, CA writes:
I am a school bus driver for River Delta Unified in Rio Vista, CA. I drive my bus across a ferry from Rio Vista to Ryer Island ( this ferry crosses the Sacramento River every twenty minutes). I typically have 60 students on board my bus. At times (due to traffic, road closures, problems with students) we arrive at the ferry landing after the ferry has departed. This causes a twenty minute wait (for the next crossing) in 95 plus degree temperatures, with no air movement, and a bus full of hot angry students. So far my my solution is, after the ferry transports us to Ryer Island, I seek out a farm that is irrigating the fields and park near the sprinklers to douse the students with water.
Jul 26th, 2017