STOP/END BSL (Breed Specific Legislation)

Breed Specific Legislation(BSL):
What is BSL?

Breed specific legislation(BSL) is designed to place restrictions on ownership of certain breeds of dogs.
A breed ban usually requires that all dogs of a certain appearance (targeted breed) be removed from the county, city, state, or Province.
Breed-specific restrictions may require an owner of the said targeted breed do any of the following or all.
1.Purchase liability insurance ranging from $100,000-$500,000
2.Muzzle the dog of said breed while in public
2.Mandatory Spay or neuter the breed in question
3.The breed in question may not leave the owners premises
4.The dog must be contained in a kennel with specific requirements (6' high chain link walls, a lid, and concrete floors)
5.Place signs on the outside of the residence where the dog lives with vicious dog on them
6.Make the dog wear a vicious dog tag or other identifying marker
7.Some county municipals require you to buy a special license for each dog ranging from $100-$200 per year

Why BSL doesn't work?

Breed Specific Legislation is the campaigns to ban dog owners from owning a certain breed of dog deemed dangerous. And it doesn't work. By making these dogs illegal you make them more desirable to criminals and people who want to own the breed for the wrong reasons. This leads to terrible breeding practices which can lead to temperament and health problems and in turn only support the stereotypical version of the breed.

A more effective way to deal with a dog breed deemed to be aggressive would be to use the energy put into Breed Specific Legislation campaigns and redirect that energy into campaigns to enforce ethical breeding practices. Dogs bred from backyard breeders or puppy mills or from other illegal activity, are much more likely to have behavior problems due to poor genetics. Responsible breeders take great care to select and breed only the dogs with the most sound temperaments and sturdy structures. Puppy mills and backyard breeding only furthers the bad genes.

BSL is ineffective. It will not solve the problem. It will only make the banned breeds more attractive to the people who should not have them. An make it where the people who deserve to own them unable to.

Who does BSL effect?

It is my belief that BSL affects all the good pet owners the ones of us who are doing right by the breed an being responsible pet owners. When I hear the phrase BSL it makes mad it is the same as being racist, And deeming a breed in it self as bad is wrong people only tend to focus on the bad certain BSL breeds have done.....Most people think only the bully breeds are in this category but they are wrong many popular family dogs fall into this category an mor
Oct 24th, 2018
Billy E. from Bay City, MI writes:
I have a nine year old American Staffordshire Terrier her name is Ling Ling and she is one of the most beautiful, caring, loyal, and obedient dogs that I have ever seen she loves people and I could never even imagine her harming any human beings or animals that being said she literally the best friend I have ever had and my mother used to dislike pitbulls very much and now she calls my girl her granddog lol
Oct 7th, 2018
Marni M. from Yellville, AR writes:
In the 70's, 80's and 90's the German Shepherd, the Rottweiler and the Doberman were considered dangerous dogs. Pit bulls were around then, but they were not deemed as dangerous. Studies show that pit bulls have one of the best temperament of most dog breeds. They have powerful jaws just as the German sheperd, Rottie, doberman, labs, boxers..etc....have. They are demonized only because "humans" trained some, starved them, beat them so they would fight another dog. It is only 1% of these dogs that fight and do it well, the rest do it because they are forced to. The dogs who are pets, are not naturally aggressive either. There are circumstances and situations where any dog can attack another or a human. I was attacked by a sheltie years ago. He chomped on my hand so I had little bite marks all over, but I wasn't afraid of dogs after that because I learned quickly to be wise in approaching dogs. Dogs must not be judged as aggressive just because the same breed is used in dog fighting. Stop the breeders! stop the dog fighting rings. All but two of the M. Vicks dogs went to homes where they became part of a family with other dogs and kids. They lived out their lives happy and peaceful. we always talk about not judging others by association. This goes for pit bulls also.
Sep 22nd, 2018
Maureen W. from Charleston, WV writes:
Pit Bulls are very loving loyal.dogs It's all in the way and environment they are raised There is a small breed dog close to me owned by known durg dealers I am afraid to pet Tried to love in the dog grits those teeth up at me and growls BSL will encourage criminals to seek these dogs out Really ignorance _ bsl
Apr 12th, 2018
Paige G. from Seattle, WA writes:
I too was afraid of "pitbulls" until my brother and his wife started fostering them many years ago after they had their two daughters and had too many of their own dogs and cats to take on any more fosters. It's not the breed, it's the humans who raise the dogs who determine their temperament. And even abused pitbulls can be salvaged and rehabilitated! Pitties are among the best dogs in the world.
Apr 12th, 2018
Mary E. from Leavenworth, WA writes:
My bulldog was not allowed to my sons football game in Omak Wa because the officer said he was “one of those dogs”! Dozer was the sweetest dog ever and loved by all that met him. Small children loved him for his big head and smiley face!
Apr 12th, 2018
Colleen H. from Edgewood, MD writes:
It's not the breed, it is the owner and the environment in which the animal lives. I had two American Staffordshire Terriors, also known as Pit Bulls, and they could not be any more loving, silly, goofy and did I say Loving? End BSL now!
Apr 12th, 2018
Marlena L. from Lancaster, CA writes:
I agree that the difficulty lies with the owners not the dogs. I do not own a pit bull but some friends of mine have the sweetest dog you can imagine and she is a pit bull.
Apr 12th, 2018
Nancy Q. from Pocatello, ID writes:
I had pitbulls and there sweet loving dogs its the owner and how there raised
Apr 12th, 2018
Nancy Q. from Pocatello, ID writes:
I had pitbulls and there sweet loving dogs its the owner and how there raised
Apr 12th, 2018
Patsy R. from Ball Ground, GA writes:
The problem is the owners, not the dogs!
Apr 12th, 2018
Patrice F. from Westport, MA writes:
It's not the breed it's the owner who is usually at fault. Dogs don't start out vicious, they are taught to be whether they be Yorkies or "pit bulls"
Apr 12th, 2018
Kathleen C. from Venice, FL writes:
I have known Pits that have been the sweetest dogs and I knew a rat terrier who was vicious and hated me and tried to bite me every time I saw him. I depends on how the dog is raised and treated.
Mar 28th, 2018
J. P. from Miami, FL writes:
Why don't we OUTLAW Blacks,Latins and ANY other race with a bad behavior reputation.Bullie BREEDS are the best!!!!!! IGNORANCE IS ALIVE AND THRIVING,OUTLAW IT NOW,PUT IT TO SLEEP!!!!!
Feb 28th, 2018
Patricia W. from Cedar Rapids, IA writes:
As a veteran with a service dog that happens to be a bully breed, I moved into a village community in Wisconsin and have been treated like a criminal and my dog has been threatened to be killed by a neighbor. She has done nothing to elicit this kind of action toward her. I need her and love her, she is my companion and helper in times when I suffer anxiety and depression. I cannot help what I am as well as she cannot help the breed of dog she was born to be. She is my family dog and not a monster. And I am not a criminal or bad person to own and love her. Stop BSL in our country and become the country we should be, people that are kind, humane and caring and don't stand for abuse of animals or people.
Jan 6th, 2018
Jen C. from Billings, MT writes:
This BSL is BS! I’ve been attacked by small dogs more often than I’ve EVER feared for my safety with a large dog.
Jan 6th, 2018
Someone from Clarksville, TN writes:
REMOVE DOG DESCRIMINATION THEY DIDNT ASK TO BE BORN NOR WAS IT BY THERE OWN EVELUTION THAT CAISED THEM TO BE THE WAY THEY ARE HUMANS DID IT TO THEM CAUSING PAIN MUTATING BREEDS AND MAKING THEM OUT TO BE EVIL.
Jan 6th, 2018
Someone from Clarksville, TN writes:
Jan 6th, 2018
Someone from Clarksville, TN writes:
Jan 6th, 2018
Someone from Clarksville, TN writes:
Dec 29th, 2017
Mardelle D. from Shamokin, PA writes:
Do not take out on the breed, what some human raised them to be. THIER JUST A PRODUCT OF THEIR ENVIRONMENT!!!
Dec 29th, 2017
Mardelle D. from Shamokin, PA writes:
Dec 1st, 2017
Felix h. from Seattle, WA writes:
As homo sapiens being one race and dogs being another, BSL is racism against dogs. Raising a puppy isnt different from raising a child. You teach it right and wrong, and through the environmental interactions with others. If BSL is socially acceptable you might as well make an restriction lists against ethnic groups from either purchasing a home, renting a place, working in a place, or even being in a public place due to their "social" discrimination status.
Nov 30th, 2017
Ryan S. from Grayson, GA signed.
Nov 12th, 2017
Victoria G. from Staten Island, NY signed.
Nov 11th, 2017
Someone from Staten Island, NY writes:
Please ban bsl nationally, it is very unfair to many amazing dogs who are not allowed to exist in certain cities or states just because of their breed, we all know dogs such as pitbulls are not the problem but some owners to facilitate aggressive behavior, most pitbulls are family dogs, rescue dogs companions to people with pstd etc, they are highly intelligent and very loving dogs that should not be subject to laws banning them
Nov 11th, 2017
Someone from Greensboro, NC signed.
Nov 10th, 2017
Sarah R. from Tallahassee, FL writes:
It's all in who has raised them and how. After having "pit bulls" most of my life I will never own another "breed" of dog. Can we propose that the owners interested in owning a "pit bull" have the dog's behavior evaluated by a qualified vet or equal professional every 6 months to a year? Can we propose that if they fail to have this completed within a reasonable time frame that the owner be fined and have it mandatory? Can we propose that if a "pit bull" displays aggressive behavior that's determined by a professional that the owner and "pit bull" take classes on dog training to make an attempt to correct the behavior? It's time to re analyze what this law is really accomplishing. So many people and dogs alike have suffered and been discriminated against because of predisposed judgement. From experience, I've had almost no luck in finding somewhere to live because of the discrimination against my "pit bull". These dogs need more care and love. These "pit bulls" are protectors, caring, and the best you allow them to be.
Nov 8th, 2017
Tiffany B. from Tallassee, AL writes:
I am the owner of two very precious pittbulls. They are the sweetest, most loving animal I have ever seen. They are good with other dogs and all children. Dogs should be banned based on behavior, not their breed. Labeling dogs based on breed is like classifying people based on their race: it is just wrong!
Nov 7th, 2017
Patti K. from Beulaville, NC writes:
I am a responsible Staffordshire terrier owner. She is fixed, always on a leash, was raised with lots of love and training. Now that we are trying to move, due to my husband's job, we are finding it impossible to find a place to live, due to BSL. All my girl wants to do is cuddle. She is FAR from dangerous. Everyone is friend, to her. It's not fair that we are forced to live in my husband's semi truck because she is "of the pit bull family". Discrimination! I have only met ONE pit bull EVER that was not friendly. So why punish them all??? And US!
Nov 4th, 2017
Lara M. from Monett, MO signed.
Nov 3rd, 2017
Ciara P. from Convoy, OH signed.
Oct 17th, 2017
Sarah G. from Winchester, VA writes:
It is NOT the breed of an animal that makes it aggressive- its the way it is raised and the situations it is put in that causes those "aggressive" behaviors. Stop assuming that a large breed dog is aggressive just because of the breed/size. There is statistically more aggressive smaller breed dogs (such as Chihuahuas and Jack Russells) than large breed dogs (such as Pitbulls, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds). BSL causes so many stereotypes, heartache, and exclusion to animals and families that is similar to history aspects such as The Holocaust, segregation, and exclusion of the disabled. #BanBSL
Oct 12th, 2017
Someone from Pensacola, FL signed.
Oct 7th, 2017
Someone from Syracuse, NY writes:
This is a rediculous law- if this criteria was directed at people there would be an outcry of discrimination . It is discriminatory because no dog of any breed is ll bad - the breeders are who should be targeted not the dog. Breeders choose to not know what genetics are in those dogs they breed- it's all about profit not concern for the dogs.
Oct 4th, 2017
Ellen S. from Arden, NC writes:
Ughh bsl is so stupid. I love pits and it doesn't even help the cause. It's because PEOPLE breed these dogs to be viscous for things like illegal dog fighting or to have a guard dog or to look tough. ALL of the breeds listed in the ban are very sweet breeds and if congress doesn't want to look like total idiots they should leave the pits alone.
Sep 27th, 2017
Alex D. from Asheville, NC writes:
there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
Sep 24th, 2017
Someone from Reno, NV signed.
Sep 11th, 2017
Julia B. from Zuni, VA signed.
Sep 7th, 2017