Stop False Allegations of Domestic Violence

We, the undersigned, are writing in hopes of bringing to your attention a dire misjustice that is occuring in our state as well as many others across the US. Laws inacted to protect the victims of the vile crime of domestic violence are being misused by both citizens as well as law enforcement, and in this process innocent men's lives are being destroyed. In most states, the burden of proof is being thrown out and the simple word of the acuser is being taken without question, many times without the accused even being allowed to speak. True victims of domestic violence, some of whose names you will find below, find this to be deplorable. Not only can a woman falsely accuse a man of domestic violence without fear of consequence, but the accused man has no voice against her. The accuser can be a mentally disturbed individual using such laws to exact her revenge against a man who simply does not want to be in a relationship anymore, and her word is automatically taken, even when no evidence is in place. The man in such cases is automatically arrested, injunctions are automatically set in place, and even if he is able to prove his innocence in court he has lost months of his life due to the fact that she cried wolf. Worse yet are the cases of these innocent men who are poor and have no means to hire private attorneys. Their public defenders assume they are guilty and therefore do only the bare necessities to be their legal voice.We are not in any way asking for a revocation of the laws that protect true victims of domestic violence. Our wish is that these laws be revisited and indications made to to allow for criminal and civil prosecution when someone, whether male or female, has misused these laws in a vindictive and cunning way. We also would ask that law enforcement officers, public attorneys, and judges be forced to recognize the precept that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately, in the cases of domestic violence accusations, the opposite is true. An example of this is that of a 20 year old Florida resident who made the bond that was set for him, only to be picked up the very next day without provocation. The acuser in this case simply told the court she was afraid. He had done nothing in terms of trying to contact her or see her, and was not without several witnesses the few short hours he was free. Something must be done to prevent those who would lie about being a victim of domestic violence from continuing to do so. If it is not, our prisons will be overrun with innocent men and our streets will be controlled by the women who sent them there.
Mar 14th, 2010
Someone from Dillsburg, PA writes:
my neighbor made a false domestic report on me and my husband for a verbal arguement and we were Evicted out of our Mobile Home with out any formal arrests on either of us!!
Mar 14th, 2010
Someone from Forest Lake, MN writes:
I was arrested in front of my children when my wife came home drunk with strangers, and I asked her to stop drinking and have the strangers leave our home with children present at 2am... she got angry and stormed off to get her "friends" and go elsewhere to drink, was so drunk she stumbled on the stairs, and the friends who did not even witness this called the police saying I had thrown her down the stairs. (she did not even fall or get hurt in any way, and if she had it would have only been due to her drunkenness - and had nothing to do with me. In fact she was being drunk and disorderly. I was arrested, the only sober and responsible adult in my home! My children were left with obviously and even admittedly drunk wife and strangers! Then, when my wife sobered up and realized the terrible mistake that had been made - it was too late. The county attorney would not drop the case even with her testimony that no violence had occurred. I ended up pleading guilty to disorderly conduct with adjudication withheld for one year...it was the only way I could get the restraining order dropped and return home to my wife and kids. I was told that this would not go on my record as I was not being convicted unless I was charged with same or similar in the next year. My wife and I thinking this was the quickest and cheapest way out of this crazy situation accepted, as I was unemployed due to economy and lay off. It has now been almost a year and I still am not working! I have had three job offers only to have them rescinded after a background check that showed that I was not convicted, but was currrently charged until the years time had passed. My understanding now is that even when the year is up - the charges will be dismissed, but will still be on my criminal record! Thus far this situation has cost me and my family $70,000 in lost income. My wife who is supposed to be helped by this program is suffering as we are going to lose our home, my poor kids are suffering... this is unjust and simply wrong! From the moment that the false accusation was made, I was assumed guilty. Even when the officers came to my home and found me calm amd sober with a house full of clearly and admittedly drunk people...I was arrested. I have no record of any kind, other than a speeding ticket. I have been an upstanding and responsible citizen/tax payer all of my life, I am 42 years old and my career has been destroyed. My wife is not normally a crazy drunk like she was that night, it was just a stupid situation that she feels terrible about and will haunt her for the rest of her life. Instead of helping our family, the police and courts have cost us everything financially. I shutter to think of what could have happened that night. I have 2 beautiful girls who were left alone with a mother who was so drunk she could hardly stand and 3 complete strangers - two of them men in my home! My wife and children could have been sexually abused by these strange drunk and
Mar 12th, 2010
Someone from Indianapolis, IN signed.
Mar 12th, 2010
Someone from Cleveland, OH writes:
The true victims in these situations are the children!
Mar 11th, 2010
Someone from Elyria, OH writes:
It is sad when you see one of your good friend become a victim of this. Especially when you know this person very well.
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Cleveland, OH signed.
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Maysville, GA writes:
we need to put a stop to people lying
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Seminole, FL signed.
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Cleveland, OH writes:
People need to be punished for making false reports. Once this happens the amount of false allegations will rapidly decrease. Let's hold people accountable for ruining people lives, reputation, the court system time and our tax dollars!
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Cleveland, OH signed.
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Uniontown, OH signed.
Mar 10th, 2010
Someone from Cleveland, OH writes:
I was physically assaulted(kicked in the face and head with my booking pictures) to prove. She called the cops and when I told the cops what happened they still arrested me. I've always been a law-abiding citizen. They cry domestic violence and the male is assumed as the abuser. Domestic Violence is a gender biased crime...this should stop!
Mar 9th, 2010
Someone from Topeka, KS signed.
Mar 9th, 2010
Someone from Corinth, MS signed.
Mar 3rd, 2010
Someone from Keno, OR signed.
Mar 2nd, 2010
Someone from Spring Hill, FL signed.
Mar 2nd, 2010
Someone from Spring Hill, FL writes:
I am currently a victim of this exact situation. I would do anything to help in this cause.
Mar 2nd, 2010
Someone from Haiku, HI writes:
I was falsely accused of assault by my daughter in law. I spent much time and money fighting the TRO filed againt me, and my daughter in law never showed up in court. Even though the case was dismissed, I now have a record of domestic violence that cannot be expunged. I work as a teacher and a counselor, and this "easy" ability for someone to falsely accuse me of violence, has blighted my career. Something must be done to stop this arm of injustice in our system, which allows vindictive people to hurt others without retaliation. My daughter in law was not punished for not showing up at the contested hearing. Please help innocent people, like myself, who find ourselves in a meat grinder justice system of fraudulent restraining orders. Thank you.
Mar 1st, 2010
Someone from Lincoln City, OR signed.
Feb 28th, 2010
Someone from Tellico Plains, TN writes:
I think this law needs to be looked at hard woman are abuseing a law for there gain only I should know I raised my half sister and paid everything she needed the state did not and now she walks into our court house and falesly accusse me and lied on it too ever word she put on it and while under oat lie and I can prove it but I am not allowed to now my childern and I are wondering hows daddy going to get a job, or protect us,and the person that takes one out is automatically right even though they lied. and useing tax dollars ,courts,police,judges,lawyers,and lives. doing it our laws on this matter needs to be heavily with stricter with ppl lieing under oat... and I am a single parent with two kids to raise with out help and alone so try that while under a order of protection yea just try it I bet our laws in congress dont have to worrie about such being on them some are above the law just like the woman that use it to gain by lyers lyers lyers lyers !!!! I thought you were Innocent till proven guilty,,, but with an order on you your a lier no matter what you have or say your ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 28th, 2010
Someone from Tellico Plains, TN writes:
Feb 27th, 2010
Someone from Maple Lake, MN signed.
Feb 25th, 2010
Someone from Denver, CO writes:
It is wrong to take action to be vindictive, when there was at no time trying to harm the girlfriend!!! It was missused,for revenge to harm the boyfriend and his charactor.Then you loose going back to your home because of a protection Order and all of your belonging if she fusses???? Who is the real victim??? It is shouting wolf for females personal gain!!! They should be prosecuted for the same severity for lying, maybe harder to stop these false acts.
Feb 25th, 2010
Someone from Shelbyville, KY signed.
Feb 25th, 2010
Someone from Richlands, NC writes:
This will be my (*2*) "SHOW CAUSE" against a DVPO and this time they have falsified documents. Why are "WE" the accused the victims? Altered documents should be validated in person of the individual notarization a Plaintiff's "SWORN" exhibits prior to a judge signing an order to "SHOW CAUSE" for false accusations. ยง 50B 4.2. False statement regarding protective order a misdemeanor and PERJURY...
Feb 24th, 2010
Someone from Beaver Dam, WI writes:
I have watched the horrible injustices unfold to a family member. From the first time his ex-wife claimed foul, he immediately lost all credibility. He even has pictures of knife wounds on his arms yet the court wouldn't even look at them as he was labelled already before he even walked into the court
Feb 23rd, 2010
Someone from Baltimore, MD signed.
Feb 22nd, 2010
Someone from Windham, ME writes:
Being accused myself of a Domestic Violence allegation has left a very bad taste in my mouth and yet even though nothing has happened there is still a persona about me from numerous angles. False allegations should be addressed. I lost my child for approx. a month over this. Sad as it is this wasn't the first allegation that has been false or inconclusive. What a waste of time and money for everyone involved.
Feb 19th, 2010
Someone from Saugerties, NY writes:
I have had friends and family fall prey to our so called ?Justice System?. Fathers are denied to see their children (the children are used as pawns and suffer), arrested, and locked out of their own homes on falsely made allegations against them. I strongly feel that a woman that falsely accuses her significant other should be charged with a crime and I don't mean a slap on this wrist. For too long, the courts, judges, attorney?s and police have looked upon them has the villains. They are left financially battered and broke. I feel you need to take a hard line approach with this.
Feb 19th, 2010
Someone from Cincinnati, OH writes:
I am in for the fight of my life, I was convicted of DV in 2002, and the advocates for my wife put a spark into her that all she had to do is say I did something and she could have me arrested. She did it, after I told her that our marriage was over. I am presumed innocent until proven guilty, and I have proof that she is lying, and that she is the aggressor. DA is trying to get my evidence excluded, also the police will not take a report from me. FALSE ALLEGATIONS NEED TO STOP NOW!!!!!
Feb 19th, 2010
Someone signed.
Feb 18th, 2010
Someone from Windham, ME signed.
Feb 17th, 2010
Someone from Chickamauga, GA writes:
I don't know how many times my (now Ex)wife has had me locked up since Mar. 2009. I am in jail now and will be in here for over 90 days when my court hearing comes up. All for her lies and the DA believing/encouraging everything she tells them. I have lost a year of my life and haven't even totalled the money up yet. Never mind about my 5 children who have basically been without a father. And I think that's the way she wants it because that's the way she was raised. It is sickening.
Feb 17th, 2010
Someone from Mays Landing, NJ signed.
Feb 17th, 2010
Someone from Raymore, MO signed.
Feb 5th, 2010
Someone from Pleasant Garden, NC signed.
Feb 4th, 2010
Someone from Wamego, KS signed.
Feb 1st, 2010
Someone from Saint Paul, MN writes:
My biggest mistake was taking the advice from my ?Father?s Advocate? attorney and agreeing to the OFP that was filed against me during a custody dispute. As opposed to fighting to prove my innocence (unfortunately there is no innocence prior to going through a hearing, hence the need to fight), I worried more about losing the little bit I had with my child at the time. The next 5 months consisted of me being in/out of jail for more false allegations, to the point that I took a guilty plea on 1-count of breaking this ridiculous OFP just so I could put an end to the madness and begin moving forward (along with keeping my job and avoiding more unjustified jail time). Little did I know at the time, that decision would ultimately control the court?s decision against me having joint custody of my child. It put the mark of ?Domestic Abuse? over my head although there was never a single finding of Domestic Abuse. That poor decision also resulted in the courts granting her a 2-yr extension on the Order of Protection I should have never agreed to in the first place. The courts decided to address the extension during my final divorce hearing. As prepared as I thought I was, I was unable to submit any evidence I had to counter her petition to have an extension (phone records, emails, texts, letters, witnesses, etc) because the court was not willing to separate the 2 hearings or grant me a Continuance. So every decision made by them regarding custody was "as a result of the Order For Protection", which would have never been granted had I been able to present the evidence I had to go against it. Not only is an OFP easy for women to come by and abuse, it can be used to continually destroy the Respondent long after custody has been granted to the Petitioner. My child?s mother has absolutely no fear because she has been given a Golden Ticket by the same people that enforce it. So as she continues to abuse it, I hide. I carry a camcorder with me at all times. I save my receipts as a timeline in case I don?t have an alibi at hand. I have lost absolutely everything, including my rights to my son because the courts refused to entertain the idea that the Petitioner was abusing the system and taking them all for a ride. And my son is the one that will suffer the most when all is said and done. None of the actions carried out by the Courts/Custody Evaluators/Petitioner/Law Enforcement have been in the best interest of the child involved. After all, they walked her through the entire process and showed her exactly how it is done here in MN.
Jan 31st, 2010
Someone from Delray Beach, FL signed.
Jan 31st, 2010
Someone from Jacksonville, FL signed.