Stop False Allegations of Domestic Violence

We, the undersigned, are writing in hopes of bringing to your attention a dire misjustice that is occuring in our state as well as many others across the US. Laws inacted to protect the victims of the vile crime of domestic violence are being misused by both citizens as well as law enforcement, and in this process innocent men's lives are being destroyed. In most states, the burden of proof is being thrown out and the simple word of the acuser is being taken without question, many times without the accused even being allowed to speak. True victims of domestic violence, some of whose names you will find below, find this to be deplorable. Not only can a woman falsely accuse a man of domestic violence without fear of consequence, but the accused man has no voice against her. The accuser can be a mentally disturbed individual using such laws to exact her revenge against a man who simply does not want to be in a relationship anymore, and her word is automatically taken, even when no evidence is in place. The man in such cases is automatically arrested, injunctions are automatically set in place, and even if he is able to prove his innocence in court he has lost months of his life due to the fact that she cried wolf. Worse yet are the cases of these innocent men who are poor and have no means to hire private attorneys. Their public defenders assume they are guilty and therefore do only the bare necessities to be their legal voice.We are not in any way asking for a revocation of the laws that protect true victims of domestic violence. Our wish is that these laws be revisited and indications made to to allow for criminal and civil prosecution when someone, whether male or female, has misused these laws in a vindictive and cunning way. We also would ask that law enforcement officers, public attorneys, and judges be forced to recognize the precept that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately, in the cases of domestic violence accusations, the opposite is true. An example of this is that of a 20 year old Florida resident who made the bond that was set for him, only to be picked up the very next day without provocation. The acuser in this case simply told the court she was afraid. He had done nothing in terms of trying to contact her or see her, and was not without several witnesses the few short hours he was free. Something must be done to prevent those who would lie about being a victim of domestic violence from continuing to do so. If it is not, our prisons will be overrun with innocent men and our streets will be controlled by the women who sent them there.
Jun 12th, 2009
Someone from Levittown, NY signed.
Jun 11th, 2009
Someone from Mobile, AL signed.
Jun 10th, 2009
Someone from Seattle, WA signed.
Jun 10th, 2009
Someone from Seattle, WA signed.
Jun 10th, 2009
Someone from Overland Park, KS writes:
False allegations of abuse is an injustice. False allegations of abuse is leverage in destroying families. False allegations of abuse grossly inflates all stats and claims proposed by the Violence Against Women Act. For it is documented well over seventy percent of all restraining orders, and domestic violence claims are proven completely false, and/or unfounded. Violence Against Women Act grossly violates Civil Rights Amendment of equal protection under the law, and due process of law.
Jun 9th, 2009
Someone from Seattle, WA writes:
My brother just had a hearing today that extended a DV protection order placed against him for a full year. Two months ago, he was kicked out of his own home, and could not contact his 3 sons (2, 3, and 7). Even in the protection order itself, his soon-to-be ex-wife wrote that my brother never abused or threatened to abuse her or their three children. All she has to say is that she -feels- threatened. He was only granted limited, supervised visits. She also said that my brother's family cannot see the kids either. I still can't wrap my mind around how absurd this is. Three children are being kept from a caring and loving father, when he has done nothing wrong. I can't even imagine how damaging this is to them.
Jun 5th, 2009
Someone from Everett, WA writes:
I am an immigrant became citizen recently. I made some research about abusing this law by foreign women. I am a victim of false allegations by my 2 years wife immegrated to US from same country. Due to her mood swing, one day she left our one year old baby behind and had no contact to anybody. On the second day, I was advised by her friend to report her missing. So, I did on the third day. Next thing I know, on the 7th day, I was served by the county shrif temporary order for protection she filed against me. She accused me pulling her hair, spiting on her face, hitting, and soforth. Non of these didn't happen and the rest very rediclus. I am now separated from my daughter which her mom never cares. I am now waiting for the hearing day. I am realy concerned about my 1 year old daughter well being, if not now, in the near future for her mother's mental unstability I have wittnessed during these two years marriage.
Jun 5th, 2009
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Jun 5th, 2009
Someone from Las Vegas, NV writes:
This is currently happening to my ex-husband and the criminal responsible for these false accusations has seized the home that I still retain half ownership of!!! This woman is now using the house to deal drugs and there is nothing that we can do. When my son tried to get HIS belongings from the home, she was allowed to threaten to harm him and the police would only allow him to take from the home what SHE permitted. I work for the courts and am a law student yet I still can do nothing. This woman has done this four times before. While we definitely need to protect victims of domestic violence, we also need to protect innocent people.
Jun 4th, 2009
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Jun 2nd, 2009
Someone from Theodore, AL writes:
I am a victim of False Allegations of Mental and Physical Abuse, I have witnesses on the day that these allegations were supposed to have been committed. Fear was also used as a weapon against me. The funny thing about it was the day that she alleges it happened she gave me a hug and a kiss with a tear in her eyes. We need to make it so that these allegations can't be made without having evidence to show for it. Unfortunatly for me, she was able to make these statements and get an Order For protection for herself and our two children. She was urged to make these allegations of Domestic Violence be a Womans Help Group of some kind. Her laywer also helped her and did not make sure that there was any evidence of any kind. She also took our children from school (they did not finish the school year), She abandonded me and her good paying job, and left me with no money at all. There is much more to this story but no need to carry on about it. Lets stop this kind of injustice from happening, please. Thank you, David.
May 30th, 2009
Someone from Middlesex, NJ signed.
May 30th, 2009
Someone from Spokane, WA writes:
This sounds chillingly like what I have and am going through. I pray that this country Wake up and realize that we are letting families be torn apart and actually having the police arrest even when the man calls and the woman brags to others of her crime. My girlfriend of 14 years did this to me in Colville and that was on 11/12/07. A witness even gave an audio statement with supporting phone records, in regards to her admission of filing the false charges just to get me put in jail. I have a 13 year old daughter who will turn 14 on Fathers day and will not speak to me. I have proclaimed my innocence and they know that I have not touched Elizabeth Crum. The officers refused to take pictures of my hands at the seen. After my charges were dropped from the fact I challenged them and demanded the officers presence at my trial. The prosecutor said that it would cost to much money but yet they hung it over my head till January 6th,2009. Then after I went back to the home while she was at work I saw that all I owned was a loss and my vehicles stripped at will by her boyfriend. The police again refused my pleas and no charges for any wrong doing or Malicious Mischief placed on her. Instead she requested another order and included my baby. They also refused my evidence to support that she was lying about every thing in her petition and reveiled a photo that had not been part of discovery in my DV arrest. yet was used in her new protection order request. Now she has been granted a new year to rule over all I earned in my 42 years of many skills and trades. Tools, cars, personal effects all under her discretion and with out a single responsibility to any of it. When will these horrible crimes be punished and how many more horror stories have to happen before some kind of order comes.
May 28th, 2009
Someone from Crystal River, FL signed.
May 28th, 2009
Someone from Brown City, MI signed.
May 24th, 2009
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
May 17th, 2009
Someone from Theodore, AL writes:
I am a victim of false allegations of DV. My wife has used this against me in a vindictive way. She has accused me of violent acts that have never happened. Taken our children over 365 miles and then signed this order against me five days later.
May 13th, 2009
Someone from Richmond, VA writes:
I agree with the petition and I once was a law enforcement officer, I have seen this law abuse.
May 9th, 2009
Someone from Saint Petersburg, FL writes:
As a former LEO. I have seen the current laws regarding Domestice Violence abused as "pay-back" in numerous situations. I agree the a victime should be protected, but on the other hand abuser of the current laws shoud face equal punishment.
May 5th, 2009
Someone from Carnation, WA writes:
I am currently being falsely accused of domestic violence and child abuse by an angry x-wife in Washington State. She has brought the same charges against me twice now. The first time the jusdge told her that what she was doing was disturbing and ordered her to pay my legal fees. One year later i am in court again with the same false accusations and a bunch of new ones from the far past that apparently she neglected to bring up the first time. When we were married (over 3 years ago) "he has threatened to kill me" "he has pointed a gun at me" "i have woken up with a gun pionted at me", really...if those things were true why didn't she bring them up the first time. None of her alletations even make sense and it is very easy for anyone to see that these are false allegations. She finally got the case brought in front of a commissioner here in WA that is totally biased named Meg Sassaman who is very active in womans rights in regard to domestic voilence. I don't think that is a bad thing unless it effects your ability to make an unbiased decision. (Please look her up) I sat in court waiting for my turn and watched this commissioner approve every single protection order in front of her. (14 of them i think) Most were very weak cases. There was one case where the accused wasn't present and she asked for proof that the accused man had been notified of this hearing, the woman said "no, i think it is at home" Meg Sassaman said "i am going to grant this protection order but if this man shows up to defend himself IT WILL be overturned." What the hell?
Apr 23rd, 2009
Someone from Smithtown, NY signed.
Apr 11th, 2009
Someone from Tarentum, PA writes:
Sometimes even paid attorneys are indifferent and simply use these ill inacted laws to make money. The bottom line is these cases should be investigated like any other crime. We taxpayers would rather our money go to investigating these claims than than paying for people to be falsely imprisoned or for public defenders who are anything but. It would also do to remind the prosecutors in these cases that it is not their job to convict, but to see that justice is done. I recently witnessed the arrest of my friend who, while standing on the corner waiting for me to pick him up, got arrested because he fit the description of someone who had just tried to grab a 14 year old. There was a hearing, the witness couldn't be sure it was him and had no other witnesses. He had witnesses who were with him at the time it occurred whose names and numbers were given to the attorney he had to borrow money to pay but the attorney didn't even speak to them. At the hearing the magistrate said the state didn't prove their case but continued it for 90 days anyway! He is still waiting for resolution. I sat in on the hearing and could not have been more appalled! No investigation was ever conducted to date and when I tried to get the local paper to report it I was told they only report what the police give them! Obviously because of the way the laws are written, no one on the taxpayer payroll has to do their job. Who speaks for those falsely accused? Please put some common sense back into the law!
Apr 3rd, 2009
Someone from Hernando, FL signed.
Mar 23rd, 2009
Someone from Crystal River, FL signed.
Mar 23rd, 2009
Someone from Dunnellon, FL signed.
Mar 23rd, 2009
Someone from Charleston, WV signed.
Mar 23rd, 2009
Someone from Charleston, WV signed.
Mar 22nd, 2009
Someone from Inverness, FL signed.
Mar 22nd, 2009
Someone from Inverness, FL writes:
This is a gross misjustice and must be stopped. Imagine the children who are hurting because of these lies. This has to stop!!!