Serve 65% of time in prison instead of 85% for non-violent crimes

Change the law for non-violent offenders to serve 65% of their time instead of 85%. Too much time is being giving to non-violent offenders. Most get more time than the person that killed, raped, molested, etc and it's not fair.. Fairness for everyone is all I'm seeking regardless of who you are. The law that's in effect now targets certain people.
Jan 10th, 2018
Nunii L. from Antioch, CA signed.
Jan 8th, 2018
Carolyn H. from Decatur, TN writes:
I think it should be 65 percent. Or even less when someone has never been in trouble and makes a bad mistake. It could change their lives around. Also they should not be jailed at all till they are proven guilty. This locking people up for 30 days then without bond or seeing a judge is wrong ..for non violent. laws has to change to many being jailed that don't belong their. It guilty till proving innocent and that has to change
Jan 8th, 2018
Carolyn H. from Decatur, TN writes:
Jan 8th, 2018
Sarah M. from SAINT LOUIS, MO writes:
No what's not fair is a loved one getting wrongfully convicted of a murder case he didn't commit and getting 13 years
Jan 8th, 2018
Wilma S. from Fort Smith, AR writes:
Non violent and first offenders should not have to serve 85% of there time. How is this going to help anyone? These young people make a mistake and are thrown in prison where they are in danger not only by the other inmates, but by the guards. I don't understand why young people keep going to Florida for Spring Break. Other parents of young people in prison in FL write to me at wilma.shoffner@att.net. We need to band together.
Jan 7th, 2018
Nora P. from Eure, NC signed.
Jan 7th, 2018
Someone from Hackensack, NJ writes:
Prisoners that committ non-violent crimes should be given a second chance. We all make mistakes and God sent his son Jesus to save us. Child molestors, rapists and pedophiles are the worst criminals. They should spend life in prison for destroying the lives and souls of our children. However, they are given less time in prison than non- violent prisoners. We need prison reform and we need it now. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Those in position and power should fo everything humanly possible to make things right.
Jan 6th, 2018
Someone from Calhoun, TN writes:
I agree. Many persons are no threat to the community but have made a bad decision or gotten involved in something that brought them to the BOP and the judicial system no longer has the ability to implement a sentence that fits the person and the crime; instead it is a laundry list for all and nobody, no matter their lifestyle, character or criminal history, has opportunity for correction and a life after.
Jan 4th, 2018
Jen m. from Wicomico, VA writes:
my 17 yr old son sentenced to 99 yrs with all but 12 suspended for non violent crimes stemming from opiate addiction is OUTRAGEOUS!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP OUR KIDS!!
Jan 4th, 2018
Tori H. from Bassett, VA writes:
Why is it that non violent inmates get just as much time as a murderer? A child molester gets less time than a petty drug charge
Jan 3rd, 2018
Jacqueline O. from Austin, TX writes:
Please give these young men and women a chance to come home!
Jan 2nd, 2018
Someone from Harrisonburg, VA writes:
I agree that a non-violent offender AND as well as a first time offender should have to serve 65% of their original sentence. That being said, I feel the inmate should have to complete mandatory counseling programs and maintain in excellent behavior status throughout their time served. In addition, the inmate should have to complete a set amount of community service following their release. This will help with reaclimation and rehabilitation.
Jan 1st, 2018
Someone from Scottsdale, AZ writes:
I agree that non v8olent and espec8all5 first time offenders should be granted t8 do 65%. Anf 8f violated should do all of ordered sentence time
Jan 1st, 2018
Melissa S. from Roswell, NM signed.
Dec 30th, 2017
Someone from Trinidad, CO writes:
I believe this should be good for violent offenders also. As we all know most violent crimes are persuaded by drug users, theifs, and perpetrators that cause self defense action, anger, fear which is just the beginning of examples.
Dec 26th, 2017
Someone from Columbia, SC signed.
Dec 26th, 2017
Someone from Lumberton, NC writes:
Non-violent offenders should be able to serve 65% instead of 85%, especially if it is their first offense. Save tax payers money and cut down on over-crowded prison.
Dec 26th, 2017
Ruth B. from Sanford, FL writes:
My son is in the Work Camp prison up in Trenton Florida. He is in Minimum custody. His crime was credit card fraud....the judge gave him 10 years in prison and 20 years probation. He is non-violent, complies with everything they tell him to do....he suffers with CELIAC DISEASE and is constantly breaking out because he has to eat whatever is served or go hungry. My heart breaks for him because he has 2 small children, who he hasn't seen or spoken to for over a year and a half because his wife won't allow it...she moved in with her ex-husband and just wiped him out all together. Everyday he tries to get through the day without breaking down...if he could only see his children or speak to them, it would be so wonderful. My problem is this: He is not violent, he is a first-time offender, he has paid dearly for his crime...so why can't his time be lessened to 65% instead of the 85%? It would be more practical to lessen his time and let him be a father to his children. He is a great carpenter and has gifted hands....such a waste to be locked away and not use any of these talents. He is 50 years old...if he has to serve all 10 years, he will be 60 years old. His duties right now are Gate House Trustee....he has to push a 1,000 pound trash cubicle everyday back and forth and other chores that go with it. He never complains....SO PLEASE CAN YOU SIGN THIS PETITION AND HELP OTHERS LIKE MY SON. SIGNED - A GRIEVING MOTHER AND GRANDMOTHER P.S. We never get to see our grandchildren either!
Dec 26th, 2017
Someone from San Francisco, CA writes:
Dec 26th, 2017
Someone from Springfield, OH writes:
Nonviolent offenders should be given a second chance much sooner than violent offenders. They are not a threat to society or fellow mankind. They made a mistake and should be allowed to become productive citizens much sooner than serving 85% of their sentence. There are violent criminals serving time in state prisons who are released much sooner than nonviolent federal prisoners, which is ridiculous.
Dec 24th, 2017
Mary K. from Glendale, AZ writes:
Non violent offenders shouldn't be taken from there families and prevented from finally improving their lives for so long. It's completely unfair. I will now be giving birth and raising our very first child alone because AZ wants to punish everyone so strictly like this. It's about time for some prison reform that'll actually guide convicts in the right direction. Everyone needs to stop being so greedy. These are human beings. They should never be looked at like a price tag!!
Dec 22nd, 2017
Someone from Bradenton, FL writes:
We need to rehabilitate non-violent offenders and get them back into society as contributing tax payers with constitutional rights restored sooner rather than later.
Dec 22nd, 2017
Someone from Bradenton, FL writes:
Dec 22nd, 2017
Someone from Bradenton, FL writes:
Dec 21st, 2017
jasmine l. from Wilmington, DE signed.
Dec 18th, 2017
Gerard H. from Allentown, PA writes:
Please reduce the time..It's unjust for nonviolent offenders.. They deserve another chance.
Dec 17th, 2017
Someone from Perry, FL writes:
I agree. I worked in a maximum security prison in Florida for theee years. I have seen the good and bad of prison life and what is offered as rehabilitation. My first issue is for NON violent criminals, especially first time offenders, there is a higher precentage of reformation into a productive citizen again. While working at the prison, I’ve seen inmates that were rapist and murderers housed with while collar criminals who stole money from their financial job. If the inmate is NON violent, and can show proof of having a job once he is out of prison, AND has not been violent while in prison, there is no reason he/she should not be released AFTER he/she served their 65%. This way, prisons would be less crowded. The guards would not have as many inmates to deal with. There is a chance for reform, not recidivism. Thank you for your time.
Dec 16th, 2017
Someone from Eads, TN writes:
I agree completely. Non-violent crimes don't belong long term in the prison system. They could be active participants in society.
Dec 16th, 2017
Someone from Newark, NJ writes:
Please reduced the N.E.R.A law to 65% I want my son back home first time he arrest his bail bond was to high his sentences was seven years. I hope reduced to 65%
Dec 16th, 2017
Someone from Asheboro, NC writes:
My husband is doing a 13 years sentence .I think is crazy is was only supposed to get 3 years. And they hit him with a habitual.and he was charge with conspiracy.i mean the judge act like he killed someone or robbed a bank are something.so I hope they do passed the 65% law I want my husband back home
Dec 15th, 2017
Kandus N. from Snowflake, AZ writes:
I worked for AZ State prisons for over 8 years from Medium/max- Minimum yards. To see someone that has committed horibal crimes get less time than someone that committed a non violent crime is crazy to me. It's a huge problem in AZ. What the state and tax payers pay to incarcerate one inmate per year for a petty crime instead of a punishment reasonable to the crime. Wow!! To not allow a mistake or choice be made right by helping the problem (Counseling, rehab, Classes. ect)... , allowing them to work be apart of society and take care of thier families. I guess the state, judge's, attorneys, courts, and agencies think they make more money this way. Reducing the 85% to 65% for good time for non violent offenders is a great idea and would solve so many problems from the over crowding prisons, $$, families, under paid and over worked CO's, and many others. Hug incentives for inmates to want to do better to get out sooner. Other states have gone to this and have had great success. AZ has talked about this for years but have never made it happen we just continue to complain about the $$ problems and not fix it. I guess the $$ problems haven't affected the ones that profit from it yet.
Dec 14th, 2017
Samantha S. from Columbia, NC writes:
Yes it messed up that my fiancee is a hard working man who made mistakes while he was younger and now he's looking at 15 years for a gun that wasn't his. He had a job for years worked very hard and now our lives turned upside down. People out here kill and raping kids and get less time than that. Our Justice system is flawed for real
Dec 13th, 2017
Derrick M. from North Wilkesboro, NC writes:
So they can help with the family and b their for their kids
Dec 12th, 2017
Someone from Abbeville, SC writes:
I completely agree, and I believe that the 85-65% law should be put into place. These people could be missing out on their children growing up, and other big milestones. That being said, I know they probably should have thought about that before doing whatever they did to get put in prison but if they are non-violent offender then I believe they should get a lesser sentencing.
Dec 12th, 2017
Someone from Glen Allen, VA writes:
Dec 11th, 2017
Beverly B. from Apache Junction, AZ writes:
I totally agree. As is one of the most crooked states with the police lawyers and courts sticking together to get long term sentences. Even when they lie and cheat the system for a conviction. I know this first hand because my son is incarcerated for non violent crime and was innocent. We need to make ourselves heard and do something about this injustice. Fat cats getting rich while families are torn apart.
Dec 11th, 2017
Beverly B. from Apache Junction, AZ writes:
Dec 11th, 2017
Brittany R. from Richmond, VA writes:
Only 65% of time should be served!
Dec 10th, 2017
Someone from Ballwin, MO writes:
I would love to see this changed also and keep the violent ones behind bars and let the non violent serve less time. I would for sure sign if needed but like already ask in this forum. How will we know if this is going in front of Congress?
Dec 7th, 2017
Jonathan C. from Phoenix, AZ writes:
How do we know if a bill is going to be sent in for 2018? Is anyone working on a new bill to submit a 65 percent law? Where can we sign to show support? Came across this today and would like to help if possible. Just signing is one part but being hands on is better. Thanks