Requesting Cosponsors To Discharge Student Debt through Bankruptcy: H.R.449 - 114th Congress (2015-2016)

Dear Members of Congress,

Bankruptcy protections should never have been removed from any student loans in this nation. In general, we believe it is very clear at this point that removing bankruptcy protections from both private and federal student loans has led to predatory lending behavior, has enabled unchecked inflation in the cost of college, has led to intolerably poor oversight in the case of federal loans, and caused a plethora of other negative consequences that have far outweighed any short term financial benefits to the lending side of the system. The harm this has done to the citizenry has been incalculable. Therefore, we believe that bankruptcy protections must be returned to all student loans as quickly as possible. The current legislation is an important start, however, and so we look forward to its quick passage.

Please cosponser H.R. 449 to help generations of Americans struggling with the financial burden of student loan debt.

Signed,
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Denver, CO writes:
Please do what is RIGHT. This is right for AMERICA. This is right for students, families, old and young who are ENSLAVED BY student loan debt. I personally will DIE before I could ever pay it. A slave to this and unable to ever move forward in my life. Can only rent an apt., not buy, drive a 20 year old car, not lease. And NO teacher forgiveness as I was told I went to college the WRONG years!!! 20 years in the hood, serving as an educator, and a cannot pay off my student debt-impossible! At 57, this Kills My Heart!
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Yorktown, VA signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Cockeysville, MD signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Westville, IN signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Broomall, PA signed.
Jul 25th, 2016
Someone from Rochelle, IL signed.
Jul 24th, 2016
Someone from Gum Spring, VA signed.
Jul 18th, 2016
Someone from Moraga, CA writes:
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter: This information is from April 20 2016. ACCOUNT IDENTIFICATION Client: US Department of Education Principal Balance : $ 292,268.05 Interest : $14,282.07 Penalty Charges: $ 0.00 Fees & Costs :$ 74,000 Total Balance :$ 381,164.42 Do these numbers make sense to you ? Let's say my original borrowed amount is $80,000 or even $100,000.00 It's confusing since the original amount is never inclosed in clear manner or not enclosed at all. How & why in 7 years, in 2016, my Federal student loan debt became: $ 381,164.42 ? Please help me understand the break down that has been calculated for me by the U.S. Department of Education. How is this breakdown helpful for me to understand the original borrowed amount ? What is my interest rate ? Why am I responsible about 400% more from what I have originally borrowed ? Yours truly, A 37 year old U.S Citizen living with $380,00 of federal student loan debt.
Jul 13th, 2016
Someone from New York, NY signed.
Jul 12th, 2016
Someone from Perris, CA signed.
Jul 9th, 2016
Someone from Spring, TX signed.
Jul 7th, 2016
Someone from Wayne, NE signed.
Jul 6th, 2016
Someone from Gilbert, AZ signed.
Jul 5th, 2016
Someone from Riverside, CA writes:
my niece is broke.. no job.. constant calls from Sallie Mae daily.. threatening letters from IRS. and Federal Loan... living on street.. stuck her aunt (me) with Sallie mae .. aunt is also Broke, no job. about to lose home... and told cant get rid of nieces debit... LONE SHARKING at it's best..
Jul 5th, 2016
Someone from Buffalo, NY writes:
I sit here shaking on the verge of passing out because I cannot afford to feed myself if I want to meet my minimum payment (more than an entire pay checks worth) to Navient.
Jul 5th, 2016
Someone from Syracuse, NY signed.
Jul 4th, 2016
Someone from El Paso, TX signed.
Jul 2nd, 2016
Someone from Pepperell, MA signed.
Jul 1st, 2016
Someone from Loudonville, OH writes:
It's time to pass this bill !! This has gone on way to long. Bring back all bankruptcy protections for private and federal student loans. So the young adults, and co- signers of these loans can restore their financial lives !! And it will also control the skyrocketing tuition costs !!
Jun 30th, 2016
Someone from Ladson, SC signed.
Jun 29th, 2016
Someone from Bowling Green, OH writes:
Student loans are too easy to obtain and become an albatross when degrees cannot be finished, jobs cannot produce enough income to pay back the debt, and hurt the futures of those consumed. Financial counseling rather than just sign on the line of greedy loan institutions which take advantage of students should be the norm not the exception.
Jun 28th, 2016
Someone from Suamico, WI signed.
Jun 28th, 2016
Someone from Perrysburg, OH writes:
My daughter never finished college, can't get a job and has 10,000 in debt She will never be able to pay it. She has other debt as well that she can never pay
Jun 28th, 2016
Someone from Bowling Green, OH signed.
Jun 28th, 2016
Someone from Palatka, FL signed.
Jun 28th, 2016
Someone from Palatka, FL signed.
Jun 25th, 2016
Someone from Fresno, CA signed.
Jun 25th, 2016
Someone from Gum Spring, VA signed.
Jun 24th, 2016
Someone from Nanticoke, PA signed.
Jun 24th, 2016
Someone from Sturbridge, MA signed.
Jun 24th, 2016
Someone from Miami, FL signed.
Jun 23rd, 2016
Someone from Ketchum, ID signed.
Jun 23rd, 2016
Someone from Kannapolis, NC writes:
I'm 54. I do not want to go to my grave with this debt and if something isn't done to right this injustice that's exactly what will happen, and I imagine they'll come after my daughter for it as none of the rules seem to apply to these loans.
Jun 22nd, 2016
Someone from Seattle, WA signed.
Jun 22nd, 2016
Someone from Portland, ME signed.
Jun 22nd, 2016
Someone from Sutton, MA signed.
Jun 22nd, 2016
Someone from San Francisco, CA writes:
This bill MUST BE PASSED. It will stop predatory lending, and more over prevent future derivative backed blow-out of the stock market and the economy. What is currently being done is literally the same thing they were doing with mortgages, but now doing it with government subsidized or government backed loans to college students. They bundle and sell these derivatives, and are betting against them. They literally have not changed a single thing, and are running the same damned play, from the same damned playbook, and it's even coming from the same damned team! Come on Congress!!! Get in their and play some defense for the American people for a change will ya"!
Jun 22nd, 2016
Someone from Cornville, AZ signed.
Jun 21st, 2016
Someone from Spring, TX signed.
Jun 21st, 2016
Someone from Miami, FL signed.