Put an end to The Pennsylvania Nurse Peer Assistance Program (PNAP)

We, the undersigned, are writing in hopes of bringing to your attention a dire misjustice that is occurring in our state as well as many others across the US. Laws enacted to protect the patient population of America are overlooking the rights of healthcare professionals to defend themselves against false accusations of drug and alcohol use by anonymous calls placed to the board of nursing. PNAP (The Pennsylvania Nurse Peer Assistance Program) is using unethical methods to entrap nurses into their program by using past infractions such as DUI's that may be 8 years old or more to force the nurse into joblessness and financial ruin by making the nurse pay for all evaluations and testing. Nurses who do enter the program are forced to call the case worker daily for three years to see if a drug screen is need. Drug screens have been ordered on some nurses 12 times a month at their own cost. Sometimes costing tens of thousands of dollars. The burden of proof is being thrown out and the simple word of the accuser is being taken without question, many times without the accused even being allowed to speak. Our wish is that these laws be revisited and indications made to to allow for criminal and civil prosecution when someone has misused these laws in a vindictive and cunning way. We also would ask that public attorneys, and judges be forced to recognize the precept that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. Often times thes nurses are the sole providers for their families are unable to afford attorney's and are rendered jobless after on phone call to the board of nursing. We ask that persons who make such accusations identify themselves. If reported accusations are unfounded then the accuser should be charged, fined and incarcerated. Furthermore such charges filed against a nurse whether innocent or guilty remain on their professional record until the day they die. We are asking that programs such as this be abolished in all states and that nurses be treated fairly and with respect.
Oct 27th, 2015
Someone from Kingston, PA signed.
Oct 27th, 2015
Someone from Kingston, PA signed.
Oct 26th, 2015
Someone from Jefferson, PA writes:
I got a dui & like most answered honestly on the license renewal form I went to rehab to not go to jail my lawyer said that was best thing to do worst mistake ever & I can not afford the recovery program after seeing their doctor whom says i can practice safely only if i enter into a program that was a 3 years ago i am sober but can not get my career back because i cant afford the drug testing & there are no local nrsg meetings its a shame a career I love has been taken from me for a mistake i made one night & i wasnt even employed as a nurse at the time of the offense I feel nurses should be able to get their license back much cheaper than the pricey drug tests that no insurance will help with its sad i was a great nurse i was placed on OIG list as well which has made finding any employment difficult but my student loans still need paid & my kids still need cared for i feel the BON robbed me of my career & my love I want to lobby I want to change this law I am dedicated to finding a way anyone interested in forming a group please email me @ mlissadawnp@hotmail.com
Oct 21st, 2015
Someone from Riverside, NJ signed.
Oct 12th, 2015
Someone from Homestead, PA writes:
Can't find a job because in pgh pa only two systems here. Upmc Ahn
Oct 11th, 2015
Someone from Jones Mills, PA writes:
This whole program is a joke. The best way to protect the public would be to shut down the Bon and Pnap. I never had any work issues and made to mistake in reaching out for help. I called the wrong people for help obviously. They are a punishing group of individuals. I took my disease seriously and went to rehab on my own and then when I got out the hell really started. So now if I go out and have a few drinks I could lose my license for 3 years. Wtf. History has shown that punishing addicts only pushes them further and further into addiction. They offer no support. Thankfully active addiction didn't kill me but if I fail this program I probably will die. Thanks Bon and Pnap for making me sign a sucidal document. My blood will be on your hands biotches.
Oct 3rd, 2015
Someone from Allentown, PA writes:
Impossible to find work as RN due to many restrictions
Sep 18th, 2015
Someone from Bowling Green, KY signed.
Sep 18th, 2015
Someone from Wilkes Barre, PA writes:
After having my record expunged for a DUI,I was forced into the pnap program. With all the requirements put upon me I was left in financial ruin ultimately resulting in the loss of my license, my self worth and dignity. I am left as a broken human being. The laws are put in place for public safety, understandably. However, these laws need serious revamping. I am now defending my character and integrity because of a lable that has been attached to my record from this program. I am not a criminal, and would like to know why so many nurses are being treated as such. Where is our rights?
Sep 15th, 2015
Someone from Bethel Park, PA signed.
Sep 13th, 2015
Someone from Lakewood, OH signed.
Sep 13th, 2015
Someone from Yukon, PA signed.
Sep 13th, 2015
Someone from Portland, OR writes:
Such programs are grossly unjust and allow power-hungry control freaks to lord it over others.
Sep 13th, 2015
Someone from Lodi, CA signed.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Northridge, CA signed.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Champaign, IL writes:
The more I learn about corruption in drug treatment the more I feel like I am, actually we all are, living in a Sci Fi horror like that depicted in 1984. Not only is this kind of supervision to do anything positive for a substance abuse, the invasiveness and corruption at every level would make it a horror even if some people actually did benefit from this kind brutality.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Butler, PA signed.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Atlanta, GA signed.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from East Norwich, NY signed.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Los Angeles, CA writes:
I am outraged by what the BON and the PNAP is doing to Nurses. Why would you send Nurses to 90 meetings in 90 days of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Its is a religious lay person support group from 1935. There is no science, there is no self help and no real tool for alcohol over use issues. This MUST be stopped.
Sep 12th, 2015
Someone from Philadelphia, PA writes:
This is insane -
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Bowling Green, KY signed.
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Venice, FL writes:
The ASAM cartel is doing the same thing with Airline Pilots. They put forth more general ignorance about substance abuse than I have ever seen. Its nothing but 'feel good' logical fallacy and helps neither the public or the licensed professional whose life is being ruined by these moral profiteers. Please get the 12 steps, their anonymous social club, their fraudulent cartel, and bullying ignorance out of my government, nursing, and medicine. This group helps no one and its causing relapse, depression, and suicide.
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Philadelphia, PA writes:
I reported myself to PNAP from rehab and signed the contract on Day 11. I signed a nonrefundable retainer with their recommended attorney on Day 13 because I was told criminal charges would be filed. I signed because I wanted to do the right thing. I wonder how many terrified and otherwise law-abiding RNs they have trapped like this into the "voluntary" recovery program. A missed drug test is presumed guilt. Inability to pay the lab fees is considered non-compliance. The slightest infraction results in additional time. PNAP case managers are advocates for the state only. This system is corrupt and needs an overhaul. We have a "disease" yet are treated worse than criminals.
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Memphis, TN signed.
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Oakland, CA writes:
There is a pattern of 12-step coercion for profit. It is harmful. 'Resistant' people are actually smarter than this, and are probably not 'insane, defective, selfish, dishonest, and powerless.'
Aug 30th, 2015
Someone from Warren, OH writes:
pnap is not set up to help nurses. They are there to punish a segment of the population who has the disease of addiction. They don't care about anything but getting you to sign up into their program. Once they get you to sign you are trapped for a least 3.5 years of pure terror. They want to ruin addicted nurses and get them out of the profession. If I fail in this program they are going to suspend my license for 3 years. So if I drink one beer and fail a urine screen I am out of work for 3 years and branded for life. This program is suicide, don't sign up. It will kill you if you fail.
Aug 26th, 2015
Someone from Robesonia, PA writes:
This program isn't monitored. Case workers don't follow the same rules. Case workers proclaim they don't recieve your monthly paperwork but I keep my fax confirmations and a log of all phone calls. Don't have counseling in each county.difficult for those of us who have our driver's license suspended. This program
Aug 26th, 2015
Someone from Zion Grove, PA signed.
Aug 11th, 2015
Someone from Jefferson, PA signed.
Aug 10th, 2015
Someone from Philadelphia, PA signed.
Aug 5th, 2015
Someone from Coatesville, PA signed.
Aug 3rd, 2015
Someone from Philadelphia, PA signed.
Jul 29th, 2015
Someone from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 28th, 2015
Someone from Philadelphia, PA signed.
Jul 28th, 2015
Someone from Scranton, PA signed.
Jul 20th, 2015
Someone from Warren, OH writes:
this guy wrote a book called chasing the scream. It changed my whole view on addiction. The Bon and Pnap need to watch this video before they wreck more lives. http://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong#t-870480
Jul 20th, 2015
Someone from Warren, OH writes:
Jul 14th, 2015
Someone from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Jul 6th, 2015
Someone from Stroudsburg, PA signed.