Put an end to The Pennsylvania Nurse Peer Assistance Program (PNAP)

We, the undersigned, are writing in hopes of bringing to your attention a dire misjustice that is occurring in our state as well as many others across the US. Laws enacted to protect the patient population of America are overlooking the rights of healthcare professionals to defend themselves against false accusations of drug and alcohol use by anonymous calls placed to the board of nursing. PNAP (The Pennsylvania Nurse Peer Assistance Program) is using unethical methods to entrap nurses into their program by using past infractions such as DUI's that may be 8 years old or more to force the nurse into joblessness and financial ruin by making the nurse pay for all evaluations and testing. Nurses who do enter the program are forced to call the case worker daily for three years to see if a drug screen is need. Drug screens have been ordered on some nurses 12 times a month at their own cost. Sometimes costing tens of thousands of dollars. The burden of proof is being thrown out and the simple word of the accuser is being taken without question, many times without the accused even being allowed to speak. Our wish is that these laws be revisited and indications made to to allow for criminal and civil prosecution when someone has misused these laws in a vindictive and cunning way. We also would ask that public attorneys, and judges be forced to recognize the precept that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. Often times thes nurses are the sole providers for their families are unable to afford attorney's and are rendered jobless after on phone call to the board of nursing. We ask that persons who make such accusations identify themselves. If reported accusations are unfounded then the accuser should be charged, fined and incarcerated. Furthermore such charges filed against a nurse whether innocent or guilty remain on their professional record until the day they die. We are asking that programs such as this be abolished in all states and that nurses be treated fairly and with respect.
Mar 2nd, 2017
Someone from Bethlehem, PA writes:
Think carefully before you do not report a DUI. A judge thought because one had a professional license in the state of PA, that ARD was not recommended. Therefore answering question # 12 on license renewal honestly immediately got reported to BON and PNAP was knocking at the door. Evading is not always the answer!
Mar 1st, 2017
Courtney L. from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Feb 24th, 2017
Larry K. from Philadelphia, PA writes:
Hello everyone. If you read all of the comments in this petition you might say to yourself, "this is crazy!"...well, I am here to tell you it is NOT! They are all true. If you find yourself in a predicament with the law such as a DUI, you have an uphill battle to climb "IF" you notify the State Board and PNAP. You are DONE! Please do not listen to anyone at PNAP or the BON concerning this issue...this is nothing more than a money making scheme and you will pay thousands to possible get to practice again. Yes, if you agree to the scrutiny of the PNAP program (which, by the way, will require you to quit your job while you go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days, daily counseling sessions over a two-three month period, and then be called out to have random tests at your cost), you might get to have a clean record sometime in your life. Notice I said, "might"!!!! They own you!!! Trust me, this is a witch hunt and nothing more. Everyone at PNAP and the BON gets money off of this. You will be evaluated by someone who is not educated in this matter and they will make a decision. Then it all starts...HELL! You will have no way out at all. So, what should you do. If you get a DUI here is what you do - NOTHING! Get a lawyer for the DUI, pay the State fine, lose your driver license for a few months, go to the classes, and get your record expunged. DO NOT CALL the BON or PNAP...it does not matter that it says on their site...the chances of them ever finding out about the DUI is almost none! Are you taking a chance - yes - but trust me, it is worth it....making it through all of their stages is almost impossible. You will have to sign an agreement and agree that you "have a problem"... then over 3 years of monitoring and almost $10,000 in costs for counseling and tests. It is not worth it at all...there are so many nurses out there, the BON will never know about your DUI...especially after 6 months when it is expunged off your record completely. Again, get a DUI - keep it to yourself - pay the court costs and go through their short program - get your record expunged in about 6 months and you are good. I made the mistake of doing the "right" thing and will probably lose my license.... DO NOT NOTIFY ANYONE AT ALL! It is a shame the BON allows this to happen.
Feb 23rd, 2017
Sabrina R. from Philadelphia, PA signed.
Feb 16th, 2017
Someone from Philadelphia, PA writes:
someone certainly is making money off of nurses who are asked to respond to a request for an evaluation by the BON, but i don't think it is PNAP! i researched pnap online, like the rest of you are doing, when i got the notification to call and i made the mistake of contacting a lawyer. i ended up paying him thousands of dollars and refusing to particpate per his recommendation. then i ended up being required to be monitored anyway but now i have discipline on my license that will never go away! who makes more money, you think? a pnap social worker or a lawyer?! i should have just submitted to the evaluation to begin with. i would have saved thousands of dollars. these lawyers are preying upon you and giving BAD advice.
Feb 14th, 2017
Someone from Pittsburgh, PA signed.
Feb 8th, 2017
Someone from Jones Mills, PA writes:
I think it's ok for nurses or doctors to do whatever they want when the are off duty. If a nurse wants to smoke some pot after work, it doesn't bother me any. If a doctor wants to drink his liver away, I really don't care. Just as long as they come to work not under the influence that's all that really matters. All of these stories on this website depicts how the BON is living in fear of drugs and alcohol. It's unfortunate that the BON has the power to be judge, jury and executioner to people who work so hard everyday to help make people better. The war on drugs will never be won with severe consequences and restrictions. The only true way to win the battle is society needs to realize that drugs serve a purpose in our society and they need to learn to live with them without fearing people using them.
Feb 8th, 2017
Someone from Irwin, PA writes:
You know what?, don't drink & drive, don't use drugs or be ready to be held accountable-I don't want any alcoholic or drug user taking care of my life or the life of my family, do you?
Feb 8th, 2017
Someone from Irwin, PA writes:
Jan 23rd, 2017
Jack k. from Irwin, PA writes:
Lets keep it real folks, nurses who have addiction problems and or legal issues are treated like pieces of trash by the Bon. This vrp thing is a good way to ruin nurses that may or may not have a true addiction problem. I have to attend 500 aa or Na meetings over the next three years and I'll tell you what. No 12 step program with some invisible higher powers is gonna fix me any. What a joke. This is voodo medicine. The BON needs to fix their witchcraft vrp program and stop burning good nurses at the stake. It's just really sad that this is the punishment for nurses who turn to the BON for help. Good luck everyone with this. Time is on our side.
Jan 17th, 2017
Someone from Bethlehem, PA writes:
I am baffled by the number of nurses that fight the PNAP process! you are in it for a reason! Do what you have to do and maintain your license. I completed the program over a year ago and am grateful for it!
Jan 10th, 2017
Someone from Brownsville, PA writes:
THIS PROCESS VIOLATES A PERSONS RIGHT TO HAVE DOWN TIME AND MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR A NURSE TO RELAX AND ENJOY LIFE. IF YOU ARE CONTINUALLY SCRUTINIZED FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO, THEN YOU BECOME A ROBOT GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS.
Dec 30th, 2016
Timothy S. from Chambersburg, PA writes:
I have been a practicing RN for 23 years with no blemishes on my license and I was charged with dui on a scooter in July of 2015. I was contacted by PHMP in August and coerced in to signing up for the VRP program. I have continued to work but financially it has destroyed me. Others I have met are not able to work. The contract states that due to my impairment I may be a danger to patients. If that is so why would I be allowed to continue practicing. I feel that this program may benefit a few professionals that suffer true addiction to drugs or alcohol but others are being used financially to keep the program and its employees in business. Something needs to change.
Dec 18th, 2016
Someone from Fleetwood, PA writes:
I had a PNAP "case manager" attempt to force me to lie and falsify my records and admit to something I didn't do. After the case manager Teresa Moore couldn't convince me to lie and accused me multiple times of being a drug abuser, she told me that she would pursue an investigation into my claims but when I offered proof, she told me I had to pay for the investigation. I did and I was proven innocent. She didn't even have the nerve to contact me afterwards to tell me I was cleared. I had to wait a month before receiving a standard letter. I was fortunate that I stuck to my guns and proved myself innocent. I can only imagine how many people are victims of this corrupt organization.
Dec 14th, 2016
Kelsey E. from Reynoldsville, PA writes:
I have heard more horror stories about PNAP than good. Funny that THRIR website says they have a 91% sucess rate. They do not! I've heard this program is basically a scam and when you graduate you have a restricted license.
Dec 9th, 2016
Someone from Bryn Mawr, PA signed.
Dec 5th, 2016
Scott F. from Seattle, WA writes:
Government mandated 'EAPS' desperately need regulation that consider the constitutional and privacy rights of the very persons they are trying to 'help', such as this program and the FAA's HIMS program.
Dec 1st, 2016
Someone from Scranton, PA writes:
I have been with the PNAP program since 2014.I have had clean screens since 2013.I had to go with PNAP after a 2013 DUI ,I was told that they fight for me to keep my nursing license, I did not mind having a safety net for 3 years with random screens. After testing clean for 3 years, I got a call by PNAP saying that I tested positive, I did a medication review with the lab (First Lab) and the Md. said 55.00 to talk to him,I agreed, I had no clue what I could have tested positive for, he and I went over my medication, I am not on any narcotics nor did I consume any alcoholic drinks , he then said I test positive for vicoden.I could not believe it, when I told my wife, she also was shocked, a day later she told me that she had picked up a Tylenol ES off of the bedroom floor and put it in my tray where I keep my spare change and a couple of Tylenol so if I am at work and need Tylenol, I have them with me.,she is on prescription Vicoden and must have dropped one on the floor, assuming that it was a Tylenol of mine, then put it in my tray,and I must have taken it. PHNP along with PNAP stopped me from working as a nurse, I have to do 90 and 90 again,90 days of clean screens,evaluation at the Rehab that I went to (volunteering ) on my own, I am still waiting for my employer to decide what to do with me, I had to sign a 3 year extention with PNAP. .I went through the evaluation at the Rehab, and they cleared me saying, that I was following all the guidelines, and staying clean and sober, they recommend no treatment with them saying, it was clearly a misfortune that I had taken something by a fault not of my own. .I had to have 5 people, including my wife and the nurses that I work with write a letter of recommendation for me on my job performance and my character. .I do not know how long it will take to find out what kind of action my employer will take against me. I am not working, with no income. .
Nov 29th, 2016
Someone from Berwick, PA writes:
This program may be helpful for some but for many others it ruins lives that they have worked so hard and paid so much for. This forced "voluntary" program strips you of your civil rights to due process, privacy, and their burden of proof. A.health care regulatory body is literally forcing you to give up your HIIPA protected health info and stopping all over ADA. Under no circstamce should someone be forced to reveal their medical.records and deeply personal information such as a miscarriage and subsequent depression because a co worker with a chip on her shoulder witnessed me crying at work and therefore reported me to BON for emotionally instability and her personal suspicion of a drug problem. This is a witch hunt due to someone's personal vendetta that will cost thousands of dollars and years of hardship, while also appearing as an extortion scheme. Both situations are beyond traumatic and has disgusted me to never want to practice nursing again. Furthermore it will dissuade others from seeking medical treatment or mental health treatment in fear of something like this. My rights and freedoms are supposed to be constitutionaly protected and I will not have them stripped away because of a few drug addicts.
Nov 29th, 2016
Someone from Williamsport, PA writes:
Nov 29th, 2016
Tiffany N. from Williamsport, PA signed.
Nov 16th, 2016
Someone from Philadelphia, PA writes:
I completed the dmu after 6 yrs, it was painful and i thinn that there is room for improvement but not nullification the alternative is absolute discipline. Look at states without a peer program
Oct 20th, 2016
Barbara L. from Schnecksville, PA writes:
I have had several nursing students successfully complete the PNAP program as a condition of enrollment because of past substance abuse issues. I would NOT support your petition.
Oct 3rd, 2016
Someone from Bangor, ME writes:
There are a lot of professional licensing scams in many industries. It needs to stop. Three words: Class Action Suits I made a video, if there's an attorney out that that would like it I will edit and donate for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4kNgJSluk
Sep 29th, 2016
cindy z. from Berwick, PA signed.
Sep 22nd, 2016
Someone from Mckeesport, PA signed.
Sep 20th, 2016
Someone from Collegeville, PA signed.
Sep 20th, 2016
Someone from Titusville, PA writes:
PNAP and the BON saved my life. The best thing to ever happen to me was being forced to participate in the program or lose my license forever. Is it work? Yes it is! And worth every minute. I have talked with people with inside knowledge of PNAP and BON hearing proceedings. I fully believe that the purpose of PNAP is to ensure safe practice and save nurses lives. It's my understanding that punitive action on licenses has been reduced by more than half because of this monitoring program. My advice to anyone is to not fight the program because I refused participation on my DUI In 2010 and then I was initially ineligible when I had more trouble in 2013. So instead of being able to work as a monitored nurse, I can't work at all until the BON approved me. The 2 year process to practice again could have been avoided if I'd just complied from the start.
Sep 19th, 2016
Someone from Hockessin, DE signed.
Sep 12th, 2016
Someone from Chester, PA signed.
Sep 8th, 2016
Someone from Pagosa Springs, CO signed.
Sep 4th, 2016
Someone from Mercer, PA signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Abington, PA signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Hermitage, PA signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Wheatland, PA signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Lancaster, PA signed.
Aug 25th, 2016
Someone from Berwick, PA signed.
Aug 23rd, 2016
Someone from Vanderbilt, PA signed.
Aug 21st, 2016
Someone from Abington, PA signed.
Aug 15th, 2016
Someone from Chadds Ford, PA writes:
This uncaring program is putting my family through hell for something unrelated to nursing practice or job. It is a joke this is called a peer assistance program.