Please help resolve the pending adoptions from Democratic Republic of Congo

I am a constituent and voter living in your congressional district. I am writing today to ask for your help in solving a problem I care deeply about.

Hundreds of children in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) that were in the process of being adopted by American families are now stuck without any resolution in sight. Many of these children have been legally adopted by US families through the DRC courts and have US visas issued by the US Embassy in Kinshasa. Yet the DRC has suspended the issuance of exit letters, an immigration document required for these children to leave the country. As a result, there is no way for the adoptive parents to be united with their children short of relocating to DRC indefinitely.

These children are stuck because DRC declared a moratorium on exit letters for all adoptions that had not been approved by September 25, 2013. Yet even for families whose cases were approved by that date, exit letters have been withheld.

I wish I could tell you exactly how many families are directly impacted by this problem. I cannot because even six months into this crisis, the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services have not even bothered to cross-reference their lists of families in the process of adoption to create a complete listing of the pipeline families that are now stuck. Even more disappointingly, there has been little diplomatic effort with the DRC government to resolve this issue.

Every day that passes, these waiting children are being damaged. They need a solution now!

I believe you can help solve this crisis. Could you:
? Ask Secretary of State Kerry to take a personal interest in resolving this situation. Please express to the Secretary how important innocent children?s lives are to you and ask for his help in resolving this situation immediately;
? Send a letter asking President Joseph Kabila and the Prime Minister Augustin Matata Ponyo of the DRC to intercede so that these children can be united with their adoptive parents immediately; and
? Speak publicly about your support for these American families and their children.

I know you ran for office out of a desire to make a true difference in people?s lives. I hope you will take this opportunity to do just that. The lives of hundreds of innocent orphan children are depending upon you. If you desire additional information, please contact Kelly Ensslin at Both Ends Burning (www.bothendsburning.org), a nonprofit advocacy organization assisting the families stuck in this process.

I look forward to your help.
Someone from Palmyra, NE writes:
Bring home my Neice!
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from North Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Edmond, OK signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Palmyra, NE signed.
Someone from Buffalo, NY writes:
Please do your part to right this injustice for the children
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Salt Lake City, UT signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Glendale, CA signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Goodland, MN signed.
Sep 24th, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Troy, AL signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Henderson, NV signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Hurlock, MD signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Tucson, AZ signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Las Vegas, NV signed.
Sep 23rd, 2015
Someone from Reno, NV signed.
Sep 18th, 2015
Someone from Bow, NH writes:
We have brought home a child from the DRC on a medical visa...we are his legal guardians.... he was dying from untreated hydrocephalus. Once here we was treated but now functions with severe brain damage as a result, and will need medical care for the rest of his life . After bringing him home we started the process of adopting his bio sister who was in an orphanage. We have since moved her to foster care in Kinshasa. We have completed the adoption and are simply waiting on the paper work from the US to allow us to file for a visa, and bring her home reuniting her with her brother. Unfortunately that will not matter because of the detention of adopted children imposed by President Kebila. We would like to adopt this little boy and reunite him with his bio sister and give them a home and the medical care that they need. We just send money over ...again.... to send our daughter to school. I am glad that we can give her this... but she should be here ... we should be taking the first day of school photo. We are financially responsible for both children, we have paid what amount to 4 adoptions and have only adopted one.... on one hand what is a life worth? Its our pleasure to have the privilege to bring positive changes to lives once living on the streets. On the other hand we also desire to be their parents and give them not just resources but a true family and permanency. We have done what is legally required by both countries to "earn" this right. But for a single mans ambitions to remain in office, our children and hundreds of others will lose the fundamental right to be in a family. Please help these children.
Sep 14th, 2015
Someone from Hilo, HI signed.
Sep 11th, 2015
Someone from Ridgefield, WA signed.
Sep 5th, 2015
Someone from Reno, NV signed.
Sep 5th, 2015
Someone from Chattanooga, TN signed.
Aug 14th, 2015
Someone from Andover, MA signed.
Aug 14th, 2015
Someone from Evanston, IL signed.
Jul 27th, 2015
Someone from Lexington, KY writes:
Being an adoptive (active) mother of two children that are from outside the U.S., this is a parents worst nighmare. PLEASE get these children home to their families! We need immediate progressive activity! Thank you in advance for your support.
Jul 19th, 2015
Someone from Garland, TX writes:
President Kabila, Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Cinda Lowe ( my grand-daughters call me "grammie"). I have two adoapted grandsons (Liam and Hank, they calll me "mama cocoa",) both names have a very special place in my heart. I can't wait for all four of my grandchildern to be together. You see President Kabila, Liam and Hank are still in Kinshasha. Caught up in all the red tape.They need "Exisit Letters" that only you can sign. I know you are trying to do what is best for the orphans and protect them. I'm sure as a mother, that someone who loved/loves you very much taught you that. To take care of thoese who couldn't take care of themselves. What an honorable thing you are doing. President Kabila, I along with many other Mama Cocoa's are waiting with open arms to take up this responsibility. Sir you can pass this duty off. If you would please find it in the goodness of your heart to issue the exisit letters that would allow Liam and Hank Brewer along with the other childern that have been legally adoapted to come home to their new loving families it would be appreciated. May God Bless and Keep You. Cinda Lowe
Jul 14th, 2015
Someone from Centereach, NY signed.
Jul 3rd, 2015
Someone from Denver, CO signed.
Jul 1st, 2015
Someone from Medford, OR writes:
Please help -- these kids are losing vital time for attachment and growth. Their brains are developing rapidly without the stimulation and love of a home environment.
Jun 4th, 2015
Someone from East Liverpool, OH signed.
May 31st, 2015
Someone from Buffalo, NY signed.