Maternal Mortality Legislation: HR 1318/S 1112 (115th Congress)

I write to urge you to hold a vote on H.R. 1318: Preventing Maternal Deaths Act of 2017/S. 1112: Maternal Health Accountability Act of 2017. H.R.1318 and S.1112. are bipartisan bills that would support states in putting an end to preventable maternal deaths. This legislation addresses a national public health crisis: the rising rates of maternal mortality across the United States. In 2018, more women in the United States died from pregnancy complications than in any other developed country, and the rate of maternal deaths continues to rise. Racial disparities, the current opioid epidemic, suicide and overdose are currently the leading causes of maternal mortality in our country. H.R. 1318, a bipartisan bill introduced by Representatives Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA), Diana DeGette (D-CO), and Ryan Costello (R-PA) and S. 1112, a bipartisan bil introduced by Senators Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) support the development and support of state MMRCs through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Congress can address this crisis by supporting the work of state maternal mortality review committees (MMRCs). MMRCs are interdisciplinary groups of local experts in maternal, infant, and public health that examine maternal death cases and identify locally-relevant ways to prevent future deaths. I ask you, as my representative, to address this basic need for data that will give our country the answers we need as to why so many of our pregnant and birthing mothers are dying. Your constituent,
1 hour ago
Someone from Fort Collins, CO writes:
.signed
Dec 8th at 8:30 pm
Rebecca L. from Santa Fe, NM signed.
1 day ago
Julie B. from Topeka, KS signed.
2 days ago
Sarah G. from Somers Point, NJ signed.
2 days ago
Sarah G. from Somers Point, NJ signed.
2 days ago
Sarah G. from Somers Point, NJ signed.
Dec 5th, 2018
Precious S. from Baton Rouge, LA signed.
Dec 5th, 2018
Someone from Pennsylvania Furnace, PA writes:
Thank you for doing this! FYI- Pennsylvania has changed their districts so representatives may not be accurate.
Dec 5th, 2018
Debra K. from Chetek, WI writes:
In this day it's unacceptable for any woman to die durring childbirth... what's all our knowledge and technology serving....can certainly make sure men can impregnate women, should be sure everything is done to protect them giving birth!
Dec 4th, 2018
Diana P. from Phoenix, AZ signed.
Dec 4th, 2018
Someone from Katy, TX writes:
With the advance in technology, there should not be any mothers dying during childbirth or pregnancy complications.
Dec 4th, 2018
Harold G. from Randolph, NJ writes:
Take action on something really important, now!
Dec 4th, 2018
Erroll Jermaine D. from Hazel Crest, IL writes:
Whatever needs to be done to help the well being of women during child birth, I am for it.
Dec 4th, 2018
Anne G. from Anchorage, AK writes:
As a three-time survivor of maternal near-miss, the mother of four, and the founder of the Preeclampsia Foundation and the Unexpected Project, AND as someone who spoke to the US House in 2003 about the need for such a bill, I implore you, fifteen years later, but not too late - TAKE ACTION to save Moms!
Dec 4th, 2018
Someone from Stitzer, WI writes:
As a birth worker I see it too much..not enough care,poor care, uneducated in their care and medical takes advantage!!! We deserve better !!!
Nov 29th, 2018
Karen N. from Clyde, KS writes:
This horrific treatment has got to stop. Everyone should be treated as equally worth great care. EVERYONE! Please make it happen and don't take affordable health care away.
Nov 29th, 2018
Katherine J. from Duncan, SC signed.
Nov 22nd, 2018
Kerri L. from Ormond Beach, FL writes:
As a survivor of HELLP Syndrome, my son and I barely survived. I have permenant eye damage and I lost my friend recently to HELLP Syndrome too. ALL women deserve safe births. We deserve to feel heard by our providers. We deserve the same level of care for us as our babies are given. We deserve to be educated by our providers. We deserve care that follows guidelines and the support we need physically and emotionally after such traumas. We demand safer conditions for pregnancy and birth. Because only in America is the maternal mortality rate rising more than any other first world nation. We will resist!
Oct 21st, 2018
Jose C. from Miami, FL writes:
Jose D Caicedo from Miami,FL, 10/21/18. I think the something should be done to protect women during child birth.
Oct 21st, 2018
Jose C. from Miami, FL writes:
Oct 21st, 2018
Jose C. from Miami, FL writes:
Oct 21st, 2018
Jose C. from Miami, FL writes:
Oct 18th, 2018
Brittany from Henryville, IN writes:
As a survivor of postpartum cardiomyopathy, I believe anything and everything should be done to protect women during child birth.
Oct 6th, 2018
Teresa F. from Morgantown, WV writes:
My daughter is a survivor of a near maternal death experience. There has to be more that needs done to protect and save the lives of women who give birth.
Oct 5th, 2018
Tricia A. from Ashmore, IL writes:
T Albert from Ashmore, Illinois signed.
Oct 5th, 2018
Judy B. from Mattoon, IL signed.
Oct 5th, 2018
Cathy L. from Effingham, IL signed.
Oct 5th, 2018
Virginia P. from Lenexa, KS writes:
There is no excuse for our country having such a high rate of maternal mortality. Anything and everything should be done to protect women during childbirth.
Oct 5th, 2018
Melinda h. from Mattoon, IL signed.
Sep 23rd, 2018
Codi S. from Boise, ID signed.
Sep 12th, 2018
Someone from Tallahassee, FL writes:
It is past time to support this. Many lives depend on this.
Sep 10th, 2018
Janet S. from Irvine, PA signed.
Sep 10th, 2018
Julie F. from Williamston, MI writes:
Please support this!!
Sep 4th, 2018
Alicia D. from Marquette, MI signed.
Sep 4th, 2018
Alicia D. from Marquette, MI signed.
Sep 4th, 2018
Alicia D. from Marquette, MI signed.
Aug 27th, 2018
Jason B. from Middleburg, FL signed.
Aug 22nd, 2018
Sherry R. from Sarasota, FL writes:
Experiencing some of these issues now. Im having a very high risk pregnancy , yet my husband and mother cant take time off work to help care for me and for our other little ones ages 2 and 3 who are home with me and my son who has special needs and is in kindergarten. So , even though Im having some serious complications I can't go to the hospital to be checked until work is done . And my mothers job is being not very understanding, and questioning why my husband cant just help out, even though he is taking off when I have our baby as I will need someone to care for me while I recover from my 5th csection, and my little ones will be cared for by my mother. And it is not paid leave , so then there is added stress about having enough money to pay the next months bills, which should not be a stessor when welcoming a new baby.
Aug 8th, 2018
Sade B. from Atlanta, GA writes:
Approaching my delivery date, I should not have anxiety about whether my baby and me will survive but I do because of the maternal mortality rate in this country. Please take action to decrease the maternal mortality rate. Bringing our children in the world not be a worry of death, make a guarantee of life every time.
Aug 8th, 2018
Someone from Renton, WA signed.