Equal Health Benefits for Federal Employees who Serve in the National Guard and Reserves

I urge you to co-sponsor S. 1086 - introduced by Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT), and H.R. 5121 - introduced by Representative Trent Kelly (R-MS). These bills seek to remove the prohibition on eligibility for TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) for members of the Guard and Reserve (Reservists) who are also eligible to enroll in the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Plan. TRS provides Reservists access to quality, low-cost, health insurance. However, since Federal Employees Reservists are eligible for FEHB, they are prohibited from purchasing TRS, even though they are subject to all of the requirements of being a Reservist, including combat deployments. From an individual-perspective, TRS is a much more affordable program. The average FEHB monthly employee premium for family coverage in 2018 for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard plan (the most popular FEHB plan since 1990) is $590.00 per month compared to $222.00 per month for TRS. This means that on average a Federal Employee Reservist is ‘penalized’ nearly $4,500 more per year for health coverage than their part-time counterparts. It's important to note that these bills do not shift all Federal Employee Reservists to TRS. Rather, it allows them the option of purchasing TRS coverage in addition to FEHB. This is a benefit they would otherwise have available to them as part of their Reserve commitment were it not for legal technicalities. For these reasons, I urge you to co-sponsor Sen. Hatch's bill, S. 1086 or Rep. Kelly's bill, H.R. 5121. Thank you for your attention and support to this very important matter.
Jun 1st, 2017
Someone from Tallassee, AL writes:
I don't see why it's not been fixed ,this is backwards and wrong . Let us have an option for coverage
Jun 1st, 2017
Travis R. from Hopkins, SC writes:
The Prohibition on eligibility for TRICARE Reserve Select for members of the Guard and Reserve is a disrespect to any who have served their country. To be told you cannot use a benefit you have earned is Ludacris and should have been noticed by senators years ago.
Jun 1st, 2017
Frank C. from Columbia, SC writes:
I have only been a federal employee reservist for a about a year, but having an option for tricare would be very benefitial. I dont go to the doctor much, but to still have decent coverage I have to pay 4 times as much as my fellow guards man, just in case something comes up. It would be great to have this as an option since we are required to serve in the guard to maintain our technician job.
Jun 1st, 2017
Lindsey Y. from Irmo, SC signed.
May 31st, 2017
Someone from Hampton, SC writes:
It will be nice to have
May 31st, 2017
Richard H. from Pineville, LA writes:
I am a federal military tech. Tricare should be availible to all NG and Reservist no matter what health benifits we have access to. It would save me about three hundred dollars a month. Please support this bill.
May 31st, 2017
Someone from Hanover, MD signed.
May 31st, 2017
Vernon C. from Mc Cormick, SC signed.
May 31st, 2017
Dianne M. from Highland Park, NJ signed.
May 31st, 2017
Someone from New Orleans, LA writes:
Please pass this legislation!!! I'm paying so much more money in health insurance since I became a Fed Tech and nothing else has changed in my status as a Guardsmen. This is a wildly unfair practice.
Someone from Anniston, AL writes:
Please pass this legislation as it is time to stop discriminating against Federal Employee Reservists and allow them the same TRS eligibility as other part-time Guard and Reserve personnel.
May 30th, 2017
Leann T. from Batesburg, SC signed.
May 30th, 2017
Jacob B. from Marysville, CA signed.
May 30th, 2017
Johnny K. from Calhoun, GA signed.
chad f. from Lexington, SC writes:
May 30th, 2017
Someone from Gilbert, SC signed.
May 30th, 2017
Someone from Gilbert, SC signed.
Sharon D. from Townsend, MT writes:
VOTE YES
David T. from Islandton, SC writes:
Please consider passing this bill. We should have the option. Don't penalize us for being Federal Technicians, we all wear the same uniform regardless if we are Active Duty or Reserves.
Kevin C. from Sioux Falls, SD writes:
At a time when we are struggling to retain Mil technicians, this would be very helpful.
Michael T. from Ward, AR writes:
This should have always been an option. I've never understood why standing out amongst your peers enough to be employed full-time as a Federal Technician came with so many punishments. No enlistment bonuses, no TRS, etc. It's always been crazy to me.
Michael T. from Ward, AR writes:
Jim T. from Charlottesville, VA writes:
As a federal employee who is currently deployed As a member of the Guard, this is a topic of discussion I've overheard my fellow Soldiers and Airmen complain about. While I may opt to stay with FEHBP when I demobilize, I would like to keep the benefit my family earned. Please remove the legal technicalities! I strongly ask you to cosponsor S1086. Thank you, LTC Jim Tierney
Anita N. from Sierra Vista, AZ writes:
Please take care of our veterans, National Guard and Reserves. They sacrificed for our country, and they need good physical and mental healthcare.
Karen D. from Lawrenceburg, KY writes:
We are offered the FEHB, and the options are getting worse and they are more becoming more and more expensive. I believe we should be given the choice for Tricare, or the FEHB. This is definitely something worth looking into and changing.
clara c. from Georgetown, KY writes:
they really deserve none but give them the same as we get