Equal Health Benefits for Federal Employees who Serve in the National Guard and Reserves

I urge you to co-sponsor S. 1086 - introduced by Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT), and H.R. 5121 - introduced by Representative Trent Kelly (R-MS). These bills seek to remove the prohibition on eligibility for TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) for members of the Guard and Reserve (Reservists) who are also eligible to enroll in the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Plan. TRS provides Reservists access to quality, low-cost, health insurance. However, since Federal Employees Reservists are eligible for FEHB, they are prohibited from purchasing TRS, even though they are subject to all of the requirements of being a Reservist, including combat deployments. From an individual-perspective, TRS is a much more affordable program. The average FEHB monthly employee premium for family coverage in 2018 for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard plan (the most popular FEHB plan since 1990) is $590.00 per month compared to $222.00 per month for TRS. This means that on average a Federal Employee Reservist is ‘penalized’ nearly $4,500 more per year for health coverage than their part-time counterparts. It's important to note that these bills do not shift all Federal Employee Reservists to TRS. Rather, it allows them the option of purchasing TRS coverage in addition to FEHB. This is a benefit they would otherwise have available to them as part of their Reserve commitment were it not for legal technicalities. For these reasons, I urge you to co-sponsor Sen. Hatch's bill, S. 1086 or Rep. Kelly's bill, H.R. 5121. Thank you for your attention and support to this very important matter.
Jun 27th, 2018
William C. from Moorhead, MN writes:
Its pretty discouraging to be denied more affordable healthcare just because I made the decision to work at my base full time instead of one weekend a month. Friends of mine who work at small businesses have better health care for more affordable rates than my family does. This is common sense legislation that can and should be acted upon now!
May 31st, 2018
Someone from Fargo, ND writes:
I've seen My Premiums Rise and My Co-Pays Rise with MY BC&BS PLAN year after year since the UN-AFFORDABLE Care Act was passed. Enough is Enough.
May 29th, 2018
Christina J. from Grand Forks, ND signed.
May 9th, 2018
Someone from Denver, IN signed.
May 4th, 2018
Someone from Maryville, TN writes:
My husband was in the Air National Guards for 35 years. I can’t afford the other insurance as I am now a widow.
May 4th, 2018
Marc S. from Orange City, FL signed.
May 2nd, 2018
S.Cosmo A. from Woodland, CA signed.
May 2nd, 2018
S.Cosmo A. from Woodland, CA signed.
Apr 30th, 2018
Gerald S. from Bristol, CT writes:
I have not heard one thing about the new co-pays for nTricare for life Some of my Meds have gone from $26 to $ 56 Dollars when did this happen. Congress let this happen!
Apr 30th, 2018
Gerald S. from Bristol, CT writes:
Apr 22nd, 2018
Someone from El Paso, TX writes:
It is had to witness what is going in National guide and Reserve service men and their family health insurance. You can call them when you need them but why can't they care about their wellbeing. We need health care coverage for them now!
Apr 17th, 2018
Billie P. from Fort Riley, KS writes:
My husband was a DOD technician. I understand how important medical is to a family . I believe DOD technicians deserve this. I vote, yes !! If you wear ACU’s everyday, you deserve tricare medical coverage for you & your family.
Apr 16th, 2018
sebastian m. from Indianapolis, IN signed.
Apr 10th, 2018
Edgar G. from Oak Lawn, IL signed.
Apr 10th, 2018
Someone from MANDEVILLE, LA writes:
Make sure to check out LIUNA Local 1776, the one's who have been pushing this for over 10 years! www.local1776.org FACT: A Fed Employee’s eligibility for FEHB prevents them from taking advantage of the more affordable TRS health insurance. CONCERN: Lack of access to TRS financially penalizes Fed Employee Reservists and their families upwards of $4500 per year. PROPOSAL: Allow Fed Employees access to the more affordable TRS in addition to FEHB.
Apr 10th, 2018
Jacob T. from Skowhegan, ME signed.
Jan 16th, 2018
Joseph F. from Tuscola, TX signed.
Sep 4th, 2017
Someone from Eastover, SC signed.
Jul 12th, 2017
Belinda C. from Orange Park, FL signed.
Jun 30th, 2017
Yolonde A. from Columbia, SC signed.
Jun 30th, 2017
Burton S. from Boonville, NY signed.
Jun 29th, 2017
Michael R. from West Leyden, NY signed.
Jun 19th, 2017
Someone from New Braunfels, TX writes:
This needs to happen.
Jun 12th, 2017
Terry A. from Swansea, SC writes:
This is long over due. The National Guard and Reserve's contribution to our country's security needs to finally be recognized. We all sacrifice to perform our duty.
Jun 7th, 2017
Someone from Sherwood, AR writes:
Its' about time we make this a reality.
Jun 6th, 2017
Charles V. from Columbia, SC signed.
Jun 6th, 2017
Someone from Eastover, SC writes:
I feel that allowing duel status federal techs tricare is an essential benifet that needs to happen. I only feel that it is not allowed as an agreement between the government and insurance companies.
Jun 3rd, 2017
Stephanie P. from Greeley, CO signed.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Someone from Myerstown, PA writes:
Thank you for considering this bill.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Raymond G. from Hanahan, SC signed.
Jun 2nd, 2017
kyle r. from Summerville, SC signed.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Someone from Charleston, SC writes:
Passing this bill would be awesome for technicians that are also soldiers!!
Jun 2nd, 2017
Mario R. from Summerville, SC writes:
All options (TRS) should offered to all the service members in dual status.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Tieysha M. from Orangeburg, SC writes:
Every Service Member should qualify
Jun 2nd, 2017
Richard G R. from Summerville, SC writes:
Please support this bill. Thanks
Jun 2nd, 2017
Someone from Gaston, SC writes:
No member of the National Guard should be denied the option of TRS. I feel it is a form of discrimination.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Jimmy W. from Lexington, SC writes:
It would be great to be offered the TRS like my fellow Guard and Reserve members.
Jun 2nd, 2017
Amber A. from Columbia, SC signed.
Jun 1st, 2017
Someone from Irmo, SC writes:
Please consider the positive impact this would have on those serving in these positions as well as the families of those individuals
Jun 1st, 2017
Someone from Tallassee, AL writes:
I don't see why it's not been fixed ,this is backwards and wrong . Let us have an option for coverage