Ban the Use of ADHD Drugs in Children Until Their Dangers Can Be Investigated

We ask the U.S. Congress, the U.S. Senate and the President to support a ban, or at least a drastic limit, on the use of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) stimulant type drugs for teens and children under the age of 18 until the dangerous consequences of their use can be scientifically disproven.

We believe there are serious issues related to the administration of amphetamine type drugs such as methylphenidate (trade names Concerta, Methylin, Ritalin, Equasym XL), Dexedrine, Cylert and Adderall, which are used to treat children diagnosed with ADHD.

Due to the promotion and marketing of ADHD and ADHD drugs directly to the public and medical community by the pharmaceutical industry, ADHD has become the most commonly diagnosed, and potentially misdiagnosed, mental disorder among children in the United States and the numbers are increasing. According to the Center for Disease Control by 2011, 6.5 million children were diagnosed with ADHD in the U.S. and of those diagnosed, 3.5 million were being prescribed medications, which was an increase from 4.4 million children diagnosed with ADHD and 2.5. million children medicated for ADHD in 2003.

1) These stimulant drugs are mostly prescribed for (ADHD) and other childhood "disorders" and are "Schedule II" drugs, meaning they have the same potential for abuse as morphine, opium and cocaine. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) reports that studies show that Ritalin is more potent than cocaine and affects the brain in the same way as cocaine does.

2) Concerns have been raised that long-term therapy of these types of drugs can cause drug dependence, psychosis (mania), depression, insomnia, agitation, social withdrawal, stunted growth, heart irregularities and sometimes even death. It is unacceptable that drugs with such potentially damaging side effects are allowed to be given to children.

3) There are no objective medical tests for ADHD, and the screenings and diagnosis for these drugs are subjective and are open to misdiagnosis. Therefore, we believe that multitudes of normal, spirited children with no mental condition are being placed on these drugs.

4) The real long-term effects of these medications, both physical and psychological, on children have not been fully examined and publicized.

Therefore, we ask the U.S. Congress, the U.S. Senate and the President to conduct a full investigation on the extent of these medications? effects on children and we urge you to ban the use of these medications for children until conclusive scientific evidence determines their safety.
Feb 28th, 2016
Someone from San Antonio, TX signed.
Feb 3rd, 2016
Someone from Victorville, CA signed.
Jan 30th, 2016
Someone from Millersville, PA signed.
Jan 9th, 2016
Someone from Wilmington, IL signed.
Jan 8th, 2016
Someone from Channahon, IL signed.
Dec 2nd, 2015
Someone from Goldsboro, NC signed.
Nov 23rd, 2015
Someone from Cobden, IL signed.
Nov 21st, 2015
Someone from Hamilton, MS signed.
Nov 20th, 2015
Someone from North Bend, WA writes:
?We do not have an independent, valid test for ADHD, and there is no data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction.?? National Institute of Health (NIH) Consensus Statement
Nov 18th, 2015
Someone from Hayward, CA signed.
Nov 15th, 2015
Someone from Anchorage, AK signed.
Nov 1st, 2015
Someone from Bothell, WA writes:
These drugs killed my friend though induced psychosis and depression which eventually resulted in his suicide. I have ADD and have tried most common ADD medications personally. These drugs disrupted my life and have stolen part of my personality and happiness forever. I will never be the same. I feel sick to my stomach that parents are encouraged to unwittingly give these poisons to the children they love.
Oct 16th, 2015
Someone from Fairfield, CA writes:
Personally, medication never worked for me. I\'ve been against it my whole life. But having a brother with behavioral problems, there are some children who are unable to reach their full potential without the assistance of the medication. So I believe that medication should be okay, if the child is fully educated about what is going on, the medication they\'re taking, what it does. If they aren\'t old enough to understand, they shouldn\'t be on it.
Oct 16th, 2015
Someone from Fairfield, CA writes:
Personally, medication never worked for me. I've been against it my whole life. But having a brother with behavioral problems, there are some children who are unable to reach their full potential without the assistance of the medication. So I believe that medication should be okay, if the child is fully educated about what is going on, the medication they're taking, what it does. If they aren't old enough to understand, they shouldn't be on it.
Oct 15th, 2015
Someone from Salt Lake City, UT writes:
Quit drugging our kids
Oct 12th, 2015
Someone from Yuba City, CA signed.
Oct 12th, 2015
Someone from Glenmora, LA signed.
Oct 12th, 2015
Someone from Glenmora, LA signed.
Oct 6th, 2015
Someone from Palmer, MA signed.
Oct 1st, 2015
Someone from Collegeville, MN writes:
I personally believe that ADD/ADHD medication is absolutely wrong. It should not be administered to anyone. I was diagnosed in second grade and it kills the spirit, destroys the heart, and induces depression. The medication also encourages dependence on the drug and is unhealthy.
Sep 25th, 2015
Someone from Mount Prospect, IL signed.
Sep 20th, 2015
Someone from Lemont, IL signed.
Sep 9th, 2015
Someone from Honey Brook, PA signed.
Sep 1st, 2015
Someone from New Iberia, LA signed.
Aug 27th, 2015
Someone from Pacoima, CA signed.
Aug 22nd, 2015
Someone from Collinsville, AL writes:
These stimulants have been linked to sudden death in pediatric patients we shouldn't be medicating them with these drugs or at all.
Aug 11th, 2015
Someone from Vista, CA signed.
Aug 6th, 2015
Someone from Yucaipa, CA writes:
It's too easy to put overactive kids on these drugs. Nutrition (I mean no sugar/caffeine), exercise (turn-off TV/video games), and family support should all be explored first.
Jul 14th, 2015
Someone from Covington, LA writes:
Just stop. Appreciate the different and diverse. Children don't all fit into one box, and they shouldn't be given drugs to try and make them. The brain is probably the most complex part of the body and it is not acceptable to alter its growth, or functionality, especially in children.
Jul 3rd, 2015
Someone from Westland, MI writes:
When we were little, we were sent outside to play or do chores, THAT was our medicine and it worked. What is wrong with the parents nowadays? Giving your kids drugs...and you think THAT is going to make them better??? Come on.... You want to help your children? Play WITH them, keep them involved in activities with school, day in and day out. Limit their TV time and don't make a computer your babysitter. It's the parents, not the kids. Not all but most young parents nowadays need parenting classes. Don't give your kids drugs, let them play their anxiety and frustrations off, don't give them drugs. Shame on you who do.
Jun 28th, 2015
Someone from Cary, NC writes:
My friend had it and so i took some and tried it (im home-schooled and was taken out of school because they wanted me on Ritalin) It basically turned me into a sedate unemotional person for a few hours...Just what the schools want.....Don't let doctors tell you its safe....
Jun 21st, 2015
Someone from Nokesville, VA signed.
Jun 19th, 2015
Someone from Howell, MI signed.
Jun 11th, 2015
Someone from Lehighton, PA signed.
May 27th, 2015
Someone from Cypress, TX signed.
May 20th, 2015
Someone from Minnetonka, MN writes:
I was diagnosed with ADD at a very young age, and having been taking medication for a very long time. I am currently 18 years old, and during the time between being 11yrs old up to the present day, my diagnosis changed from being ADD to ADHD. In my own opinion that I have developed based upon my taking of these medications throughout the years, is that the medication has seemed to stunt my growth, it has caused me to think of sucide (which is a side effect of the drugs that are being taken has on people who take ADD/ADHD medications), it has caused me to stop thinking creatively and have an immagination, these drugs have kept me from becoming my own person who could have become if I had not taken these dugs.
Apr 21st, 2015
Someone from Scappoose, OR signed.
Apr 14th, 2015
Someone from Sunset Beach, CA signed.
Apr 4th, 2015
Someone from Holliston, MA signed.
Mar 22nd, 2015
Someone from Greensboro, NC signed.