January 8, 2011
Someone from Aurora, IL signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Springboro, OH signed.
Someone from Lafayette, NJ writes:
I am a grief counselor in NJ, and it is my opinion that child loss is one of the most painful losses a person can experience, regardless of the age of the child. This, by nature, can make the grief process even longer than a typical grief reaction. I have found many people find it very difficult to go back to work and function normally while working through the pain of their loss. As such, many just quit their jobs knowing that going back to work sooner is an impossibility. If this loss were to be included in the FMLA, it would allow more time for a griever to process this special type of loss and be more ready to face their typical duties.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Someone from Valley Stream, NY writes:
I worked on getting the initial FMLA enacted, and recently lost my 28 year old son. I urge you to amend the current FMLA to expand benefits to include those employees who have lost a child. This is important legislation and Kelly Farley is to be commended for his action on behalf of all bereaved parents.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Center Moriches, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Olmsted Falls, OH signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Ashland, MA signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Valley Center, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Valley Center, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Solon, IA signed.
Someone from Sundance, WY writes:
There is nothing worse then losing a child. We grieving parents have a hard enough time to get out of bed but to have to do anything that requires thinking is next to impossible. I can't tell you what I did those first 12 weeks after my son's death and as a housewife, I didn't have the pressure that my husband had going back to work the week after his death. As I put it to others. You can't go back and work like before, there is no before in our lives right now, just now and not looks pretty bleak. It isn't just taking care of the family but taking care of yourself also.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Suwanee, GA signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from West Islip, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Ottumwa, IA signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Bay Shore, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
Someone from Goddard, KS writes:
PLEASE make this change and allow parents to start the healing process prior to returning to work.
Someone from Haysville, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Valley Stream, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Aldie, VA signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Ely, IA signed.
Someone from Eau Claire, WI writes:
After the death of my 10 year old son, I used up all my vacation time within the first month. I had to wait 8 more months before I had any more vacation time. There were days that I could have used during the first year to just get away.
Someone from San Mateo, CA writes:
We value the idea of allowing a new parent to have time off to adjust and spend time with their new child. As difficult a task this is, it doesn't compare to adjusting to living without a child that has passed. This will be a good first step in helping society to better respect loss and bereavement. Change this law now.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Dublin, OH signed.
Someone from Moundville, AL writes:
i used family sick time while my husband lay dying in the icu unit i can't imagine loss of a child and not be able to be off to grieve and protect my job
January 9, 2011
Someone from Owego, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Liverpool, NY signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Raleigh, NC signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from San Diego, CA signed.
Someone from Madison, OH writes:
As an aunt to a niece recently lost, I think the change to the FMLA would be great.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Port Washington, NY signed.
Someone from Forest Hills, NY writes:
I lost my brother five months ago. I have trouble focusing and working to the best of my ability it's hard to imagine what it's like for my parents. Physical illness is an acceptable reason to miss work but for some reason emotional trauma and grief doesn't seem to count. In many ways it is more debilitating than any physical illness. I support this petition fully.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Mountain View, CA signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Wichita, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Olathe, KS signed.
January 9, 2011
Someone from Taos, NM signed.
January 10, 2011
Someone from Arlington, MA signed.